11/30/12 12:11 AM
11/30/12 12:11 AM
M
MOONSHINE Offline OP
stranger
MOONSHINE  Offline OP
stranger
M

Hey I have seen a bunch of videos of the skippers holding the mainsheet downwind while sailing with a spinnaker especially in f18s.In know you want to support the mast and all with the chute up but they are easing the mainsheet what looks to me as if they were pumpping the main downwind. I usually center the traveler and sheet in tight as if I was going up wind and dont touch the mainsheet at all just steer. Can someone explain the how this works and does it work about the same as upwind. Sheet in for power , ease in puffs??? thanks

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Pumping the main downwind [Re: MOONSHINE] #255337
11/30/12 01:09 AM
11/30/12 01:09 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Works great (trim) in waves to get hooked up. You don't want to ease too much and remove the "backstay" from your mast ,like you said. I've never eased the main in a puff with the kite up. Drive off and if you can't do that dump some traveler.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Pumping the main downwind [Re: MOONSHINE] #255338
11/30/12 05:03 AM
11/30/12 05:03 AM
Hamburg
Smiths_Cat Offline
addict
Smiths_Cat  Offline
addict

Hamburg
Alternatively you can cleat the main sheet and play the traveler. With it you can have a much smoother ride, keeping the hull flying by playing the traveler rather then zick-zacking with the rudders.

Cheers,

Klaus

Re: Pumping the main downwind [Re: MOONSHINE] #255341
11/30/12 08:27 AM
11/30/12 08:27 AM
Boston, Ma
J
Jeff.Dusek Offline
addict
Jeff.Dusek  Offline
addict
J

Boston, Ma
At the F18 Worlds in Long Beach we had several races where the wave action was bigger than the wind. In those conditions, it was really easy to end up stuck on the backside of a wave going really, really slow. It's almost like the feeling of a powerboat trying to get up on a plane, but instead just sitting with its bow up pushing water. Horrible!

A few things really helped the situation:
1. Coordinated main and spin trim with the wave action. When you get caught on the back of a wave and slow down, your apparent swings aft. You need to ease both main and spin to maintain power and get over the wave. When you crest the wave and accelerate again, a well timed trim will promote surfing and adjust for the apparent which has swung back forward. Both main and kite trim are important.

2. Crew fore and aft position. In waves it is really tempting to just stay in the footstrap and keep the bow up, but that can be really slow. When the boat gets stuck on the back of a wave, moving weight forward to unload the stern is helpful. Taking a step forward on the crest can also promote surfing, but you need to be ready to move back as the bows hit the trough.

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753
Re: Pumping the main downwind [Re: MOONSHINE] #255431
12/03/12 01:21 PM
12/03/12 01:21 PM
wildtsail7 Offline
wildtsail7  Offline

Jeff has it pretty spot on.
I'd also like to add a few comments.
When sailing in flat water and steady wind the mainsheet stays where it is pretty much.
If it's super puffy you can play it a few inches or leave it out a few inches.
Whatever you do, don't constantly play your traveler, it's slow in all conditions. The only time you should be dumping your traveler is to de-power (again in puffs or if you're trying to sail really high).
As you open up your leech you drive your bows down. This is okay in flat water. However, in wavy conditions, where you are really pumping the main downwind, sheet harder when coming up to a wave or you will push your bows into the wave and slow you down a lot more. At the top of the wave you can ease a bit to open up your leech and push your bows down. But this is not as important as keeping it tight to get up the wave in the beggining so if you can't stay on top of it just leave it tight.
You mentioned you sheet in tight as if you were going upwind, it should never be as tight as upwind, just a bit off of that. Your always going to ease off just a bit. As it gets windier you are going to ease off less and less from your upwind trim. In 20+ you're really only easing a few inches.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 568 guests, and 127 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022