02/11/13 12:37 PM
02/11/13 12:37 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
We haven't had a decent rules discussion on here in while and I haven't had a chance to investigate this myself. I had a scenario racing monohulls this weekend and I'm not sure what rights we had....looking for (intelligent) input.

Light air race, 1st beat to weather, two boats are approaching A-mark. Prior to reaching the zone at the mark, Boat A (me), on port, was very close to crossing in front of boat B, on starboard, (a slightly faster - similar size boat). We were both clearly outside of the zone. Instead of risking the close cross, we cleanly tacked from port to starboard and leebowed Boat B intending to round A mark in this position. We were overlapped as we both entered the zone on starboard. However, a slight wind shift meant neither boat could lay the mark without a tack - again, both of us are on starboard and we were overlapped inside boat B and neither of us are able to fetch the mark on this tack.

As we approached the mark, we found ourselves hoping that boat B would tack away early leaving us room but this didn't happen and we eventually found ourselves with our bow under A-mark as boat B finally tacked away. We had to bear away, gybe, come back to close hauled, run for a short bit on port, and then tack back for A (naturally, after letting some traffic by that was coming in on starboard).

What should we have done in this scenario to minimize the damage? Did we have any options to request room from boat B to tack onto port to reach A-mark? I do believe that boat B did sail a proper course - they certainly didn't HAVE to tack earlier for any other reason.

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257295
02/11/13 12:48 PM
02/11/13 12:48 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No help from the rules, it was a slow down and win scenario. You should have taken his stern.

Last edited by pgp; 02/11/13 12:49 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: pgp] #257300
02/11/13 01:06 PM
02/11/13 01:06 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
perhaps, although if I were boat B and saw that, I'd park, too, as long as I had maneuvering speed...

Until a rule expert shows a different strategy, I'd say boat B sailed that pretty smart...

So, Jake, boat A couldn't drive off /gybe before overstanding the mark? Or were you just hoping B would tack away earlier?

Jay

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257301
02/11/13 01:15 PM
02/11/13 01:15 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
That's a good one!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: waterbug_wpb] #257305
02/11/13 02:05 PM
02/11/13 02:05 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
perhaps, although if I were boat B and saw that, I'd park, too, as long as I had maneuvering speed...

Until a rule expert shows a different strategy, I'd say boat B sailed that pretty smart...

So, Jake, boat A couldn't drive off /gybe before overstanding the mark? Or were you just hoping B would tack away earlier?

Sure, we could have. By the time we realized we were not going to fetch the mark, we may have better served to peel off at that time and gybe around - or parking the boat, letting him go by, and then tacking. We were just hoping he would tack away - but that was probably a bit naive.grin The traffic behind, though, wasn't going to make either one of those options pleasant.

Pete, the 20/20 hindsight maneuver would have been to duck him and tack safely on the layline and have starboard, non-tacking, rights on a boat that needed to tack inside the zone - but at the time we made the lee bow maneuver, we could lay the mark and round with inside rights - until the wind shifted.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257308
02/11/13 02:36 PM
02/11/13 02:36 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

Pete, the 20/20 hindsight maneuver would have been to duck him and tack safely on the layline and have starboard, non-tacking, rights on a boat that needed to tack inside the zone - but at the time we made the lee bow maneuver, we could lay the mark and round with inside rights - until the wind shifted.

And that was a winning move... BUT Sailing is Sailing..

The other boat was slightly ahead of you... so you made an agressive move to win.

What did the traffic look like behind you... were you going to find a hole.... or were you going to be screwed no matter what....??

Mind you... everyone else got the knock.... and some would have had to tack for the new lay line as well.

Equally interesting is that you were in a monohull.... your judgement would be different were you on a cat... (luff and tack... or jibe and tack) Switching tactical gears in you head like that just seconds from the 3 bl circle .... tough!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257309
02/11/13 02:43 PM
02/11/13 02:43 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
What happened before reaching the zone (the lee-bow) would only matter if rule 17 came into play (which it didn't) What is more important is that the boats were both on starboard tack, overlapped at the zone of a mark that was to be passed to port.

Rule 18 does apply, as none of the exceptions in the preamble or rule 18.1 are met. Therefore, the outside boat (O) is required to give the inside boat (I) mark-room.

If you look at the definition of mark-room, however, you'll see that it says "...mark-room for a boat does not include room to tack unless she is overlapped inside of and to windward of the boat required to give mark-room...". Because boat I was overlapped to leeward of boat O rather than to windward of her, boat O is not required to give boat I room to tack.

Boat I could have gone head-to-wind in an attempt to shoot the mark, or to encourage boat O to tack, and boat O would need to keep clear. Boat O is not under any requirement, however, to let boat I tack.

From the description given, it sounds like boat I sailed into a bad position (albeit by a windshift) and boat O closed the door on her cleanly.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Mark Schneider] #257310
02/11/13 02:54 PM
02/11/13 02:54 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

And that was a winning move... BUT Sailing is Sailing..

The other boat was slightly ahead of you... so you made an agressive move to win.

What did the traffic look like behind you... were you going to find a hole.... or were you going to be screwed no matter what....??

Mind you... everyone else got the knock.... and some would have had to tack for the new lay line as well.

Equally interesting is that you were in a monohull.... your judgement would be different were you on a cat... (luff and tack... or jibe and tack) Switching tactical gears in you head like that just seconds from the 3 bl circle .... tough!

The traffic actually wasn't bad - we could have easily taken his stern and tacked for A without worrying about anyone else had we thought that was the best course of action at the time - we were a gnat's butt from being able to cross him and had positioned ourselves to do it. He was starting to luff up as we got near him. With it being light, I really didn't have a good feel for how much the boat momentum would carry him. I got nervous so I called off the cross. We were pretty much left with the choices to do a hard bear away (probably not a good idea in that light stuff) or go for the lee bow.

If we were a little more decisive with our maneuver, we probably could have bailed out and gotten behind him for the mark without impeding another boat. As it was, however, we waited until it was too late and lost another boat in the process.

With regards to sailing a monohull, I'm thinking about getting more involved in our local racing scene...the luffing/momentum thing was different, but man, there was SOOOO much time to think about the tactics in light air close quarters and you can still maneuver - it's very different. and I really enjoy crewing - it was a lot of fun. We had a pretty good results too.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257311
02/11/13 02:59 PM
02/11/13 02:59 PM
S
srm Offline
enthusiast
srm  Offline
enthusiast
S

The other option would have been to tack to starboard as soon as you realized it was going to be a close crossing situation. By tacking early, you would have given yourself clear air and the opportunity to play the shifts. In this particular case, since the wind went left, tacking early would have given you the advantage since you would have been farther left than your opponent when the wind went left.
It sounds like you may have been trying to get out to the starboard layline too early. In monohull racing, you're often better staying away from the laylines for as long as possible in order to be able to take advantage of wind shifts.

sm

Last edited by srm; 02/11/13 03:07 PM.
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257312
02/11/13 03:06 PM
02/11/13 03:06 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I've read the '09-'12 rules and it seems to me that we were just sunk. I don't think boat B owed us anything. The Mark Room rights gained by entering the zone with overlap looks like it evaporates when either one of us tacks. Then it becomes room and opportunity to tack (which we wouldn't be able to give since we were so close) and port / starboard. His proper course was to tack for A-mark but him tacking just short of the mark is a reasonable "proper course" expectation. I think we should have started working on an exit at the point we realized we weren't going to make the mark.

Could we have luffed him into oblivion before we reached A and make him uncomfortable to the point that he would have to tack? It may have taken us both down by letting the traffic behind catch us AT the mark - so probably not a maneuver I would have tried in that instance...but it may be a thought. Can I tack under and inside another boat and proceed to luff him inside the zone since neither of us are fetching the mark? I can't say that this has ever been a real possibility on a cat because you usually get rolled right away when you tack under someone.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: srm] #257313
02/11/13 03:08 PM
02/11/13 03:08 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by srm
The other option would have been to tack to starboard as soon as you realized it was going to be a close crossing situation. By tacking early, you would have given yourself clear air and the opportunity to play the shifts. In this particular case, since the wind went left, tacking early would have given you the advantage since you would have been farther left than your opponent.
It sounds like you may have been trying to get out to the starboard layline too early. In monohull racing, you're often better staying away from the laylines for as long as possible in order to be able to take advantage of wind shifts.

sm

We were maybe 10 to 20 feet from the zone around the mark when we tacked to starboard and entered the zone shortly after engaging the lee bow - I wouldn't say we tried to lay the line too early. It was lake sailing at its best. It would not had made sense to tack earlier and intentionally just short of the layline.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257316
02/11/13 03:45 PM
02/11/13 03:45 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
After the wind shift... How long did you have to salvage the situation... ie before you got to the port lay line and all hope for him to tack had turned to despair and you had to jibe around..

Could you have escaped without giving up the boat behind you by luffing and then tacking astern of him ... hopefully for a hole.....

Even so... it soundsl ike a luff and tack would have saved you a bit of time... on handicap

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Mark Schneider] #257318
02/11/13 04:10 PM
02/11/13 04:10 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
hard to say - 1+ to 2 minutes from tacking into the leebow and reaching the mark/point of no return...maybe?

Jake Kohl
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257319
02/11/13 04:24 PM
02/11/13 04:24 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
It is amazing how Hope can freeze your decision making process.

At best... you could have followed him around the mark... at worst, you lost a few boats.

I can just see a Stuart Walker stem winder piece explaining what HE would have done in the two minutes....but did not do...

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Isotope235] #257323
02/11/13 05:01 PM
02/11/13 05:01 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Isotope42
What happened before reaching the zone (the lee-bow) would only matter if rule 17 came into play (which it didn't) What is more important is that the boats were both on starboard tack, overlapped at the zone of a mark that was to be passed to port.

Rule 18 does apply, as none of the exceptions in the preamble or rule 18.1 are met. Therefore, the outside boat (O) is required to give the inside boat (I) mark-room.

If you look at the definition of mark-room, however, you'll see that it says "...mark-room for a boat does not include room to tack unless she is overlapped inside of and to windward of the boat required to give mark-room...". Because boat I was overlapped to leeward of boat O rather than to windward of her, boat O is not required to give boat I room to tack.

Boat I could have gone head-to-wind in an attempt to shoot the mark, or to encourage boat O to tack, and boat O would need to keep clear. Boat O is not under any requirement, however, to let boat I tack.

From the description given, it sounds like boat I sailed into a bad position (albeit by a windshift) and boat O closed the door on her cleanly.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Eric, thanks - I had missed your post. That confirms what we thought was the case (and how we acted to keep clear of the other boat). Basically, we put ourselves in a hero-or-zero position and probably should have reacted sooner to minimize the impact from the zero position we found ourselves in.

If stuck in the same situation in the future, I would probably fall off sharply to get enough separation to tack under his stern. He would probably follow suit and blanket us by tacking with us to port and then I wait for him to tack back for A with us falling in line on starboard and behind....which is better than losing position to a 3rd boat.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257324
02/11/13 05:18 PM
02/11/13 05:18 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've screwed that situation up so many times I automatically opt for going below if there is any doubt whatsoever.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257326
02/11/13 05:22 PM
02/11/13 05:22 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Could you not have luffed him up forcing him to tack?

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Jake] #257329
02/11/13 06:27 PM
02/11/13 06:27 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I see this a lot in protests, usually at kids regattas, where a port boat will insist that they were "ahead" because they "almost" had enough room to cross. They often miss the fact that they're a tack behind, at best, even if they make the cross.

Fortunately, at least you didn't have that misconception. smile

Mike

Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Tony_F18] #257333
02/11/13 08:03 PM
02/11/13 08:03 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Tony, Yes... he could have luffed to head to wind (time and opportunity allowed)... but he was hoping the other guy would let him out of the box with a more favorable outcome for him. Hope springs eternal in that situation... (don't ask me how I know)...

Jake ... would a slow luff to head to wind (giving room and opportunity as you approached the port layine have encouraged him to go a bit early? and get you both through the traffic? (You are not sailing cats after all.... so this kind of move could work)

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Rules Question - two boats, starboard, overlapped...a-mark. [Re: Mark Schneider] #257336
02/12/13 08:27 AM
02/12/13 08:27 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Jake ... would a slow luff to head to wind (giving room and opportunity as you approached the port layine have encouraged him to go a bit early? and get you both through the traffic? (You are not sailing cats after all.... so this kind of move could work)

Possibly - I'm still a little unclear if I had rights to luff him...I think I did...any thoughts?

Jake Kohl
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (WorrellGal50), 427 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022