Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rule change #257436
02/13/13 05:12 PM
02/13/13 05:12 PM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

How does one petition USS for a change in rules? Is it even possible?

The only serious incident I've been around since I bought the F16 involved a cavalier port tacker. That incident resulted in a destroyed boat and nearly a fist fight.

I suggest we remove ALL responsiblity to avoid collisions from starboard tack boats and see if the attitude of those port tackers remains unchanged. My guess is their judgement will be altered immediately.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257441
02/13/13 06:13 PM
02/13/13 06:13 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Why? People cant make mistakes?
Once or twice I called that we would cross, but then a shift or a puff came and we didn't, it happens.

Would the starboard tacker also not be allowed to duck the port tacker?
Sometimes I'm happy to let them cross simply because they would interfere with the plan (like getting to whatever side of the course you want to be).

Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257443
02/13/13 06:21 PM
02/13/13 06:21 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by pgp

The only serious incident I've been around since I bought the F16 involved a cavalier port tacker. That incident resulted in a destroyed boat and nearly a fist fight.

I suggest we remove ALL responsiblity to avoid collisions from starboard tack boats and see if the attitude of those port tackers remains unchanged. My guess is their judgement will be altered immediately.

Bad BAD idea. Back in the day it used to be that way or it seemed to be and I saw more than one the starboard tack boat take off the outboard of a port tack 4ksb and there were also some nasty t-bones that caused very serious damage and put people at risk. In no way is removing the no contact obligation a good idea. The rules are the way the are for a very good reason and they have the history to back them up!

Saying protest and taking it to the room is MUCH better way to deal with the issue.

For the record, if I have to wiggle to avoid you get a comment and a pass, if I have to do it again we go to the room, yes Beth I'm looking squarely at you. Ricky if it's you... yeah we're going to the room at the very least it will keep you from getting wrecked and being in a pissy mood the next day because you feel like crap.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Rule change [Re: David Ingram] #257444
02/13/13 06:47 PM
02/13/13 06:47 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram

For the record, if I have to wiggle to avoid you get a comment and a pass, if I have to do it again we go to the room,

thanks for not calling out my skipper....she's new at sailing (but pretty) and I have a blind spot in my right peripheral vision.

Stay clear of USA1231

USA 777
Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257445
02/13/13 07:50 PM
02/13/13 07:50 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by pgp

Pete, starboard will still be smiling all day long even if he has to slightly avoid the port boat. The port boat now has to do turns...which is fair punishment for misjudging the crossing situation - wouldn't you agree?

At no time can you setup the rules to allow someone to hit and damage another boat. It leads to chaos.

How many (rule knowledgeable) port tackers have you ever had to duck?

I misjudge a port starboard cross ~perhaps~ once a year and it's not some big, huge, "HOLY ****!" moment. The other boat sees me coming and just has to make a tiny maneuver to avoid. I do between 12 and 18 regattas a year and it's a lot of crossing. I call foul on probably 5 to 10 people crossing me per year. It's part of racing. The rules work very well in this regard.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257462
02/14/13 08:38 AM
02/14/13 08:38 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Not all discussions are about you. I'm still thinking of the boat that was destroyed, the sailor who left the sport, and the ill will that still exists as a result of a port/starboard foul. A foul that could have been avoided had the port tacker accepted the onus of the rule.

As a minimum, I believe the rule should be changed to an automatic dsq.

Last edited by pgp; 02/14/13 08:40 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257464
02/14/13 08:49 AM
02/14/13 08:49 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Pete, to answer your question, contact the Rules Committee to petition for a change.

I can tell you from lots of reading, seminars and discussions with very senior judges that one of the goals when developing rules is making the game fair. They try to make the rules balance such that the course doesn't become one-sided. Giving starboard carte blanche rights would have unintended consequences on the fairness of racing.

Mike

Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257466
02/14/13 08:55 AM
02/14/13 08:55 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

The current rule has led to an unintended consequence: the willingness of port tackers to abandon the onus of the rule.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Rule change [Re: tback] #257468
02/14/13 08:58 AM
02/14/13 08:58 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by tback

For the record, if I have to wiggle to avoid you get a comment and a pass, if I have to do it again we go to the room,

thanks for not calling out my skipper....she's new at sailing (but pretty) and I have a blind spot in my right peripheral vision.

Stay clear of USA1231

The expiration date on the new sailor thing has got to be expired by now don't you think? How many years has she been pointing your boat in the right direction for you?

I'll just be sure to yell louder and earlier and give you friendly advice like "you're not gonna make it" or "don't go in there" you know becuase I'm a giver and Chris is pretty.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257470
02/14/13 09:02 AM
02/14/13 09:02 AM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
May be a change sould be an extra turn for a port/starboard infrigement. Something that would highly discourage risky behavior. The problem I have with risky crossings with cats are.
1. The closing speeds of the boats.
2. The acceleration that a cat has that a mono does not. This keeps the starboard boat from just turning down to duck.
3. The time/distance lost for the boat that has right away if they have to turn up hard or tack to avoid.

To me a simple turn does not make up for totally scewing up someone elses race.

Re: Rule change [Re: David Ingram] #257472
02/14/13 09:06 AM
02/14/13 09:06 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by tback

Stay clear of USA1231

The expiration date on the new sailor thing has got to be expired by now don't you think? How many years has she been pointing your boat in the right direction for you?

I'll just be sure to yell louder and earlier and give you friendly advice like "you're not gonna make it" or "don't go in there" you know becuase I'm a giver and Chris is pretty.

Pretty is the controlling factor and extends newbie indefinitely.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257473
02/14/13 09:08 AM
02/14/13 09:08 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by pgp
Not all discussions are about you. I'm still thinking of the boat that was destroyed, the sailor who left the sport, and the ill will that still exists as a result of a port/starboard foul. A foul that could have been avoided had the port tacker accepted the onus of the rule.

As a minimum, I believe the rule should be changed to an automatic dsq.

How was my post about me Pete? I sited examples I witnessed not something that was hearsay to make the point that the idea of removing the obligation to avoid contact is a bad idea.

Keep us posted on the progress of your petition.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Rule change [Re: David Ingram] #257474
02/14/13 09:10 AM
02/14/13 09:10 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

It wasn't, my bad. I was refering to another post all together.

Last edited by pgp; 02/14/13 09:14 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Rule change [Re: orphan] #257476
02/14/13 09:16 AM
02/14/13 09:16 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by orphan
May be a change sould be an extra turn for a port/starboard infrigement. Something that would highly discourage risky behavior. The problem I have with risky crossings with cats are.
2. The acceleration that a cat has that a mono does not. This keeps the starboard boat from just turning down to duck.
3. The time/distance lost for the boat that has right away if they have to turn up hard or tack to avoid.

How often does this scenario you state happen? You guys are proposing fixes to a hypothetical problem that doesn't exist.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257479
02/14/13 09:28 AM
02/14/13 09:28 AM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
I can name a few and one was damage to my boat.

Last edited by orphan; 02/14/13 09:29 AM.
Re: Rule change [Re: orphan] #257484
02/14/13 09:42 AM
02/14/13 09:42 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I can name a few and one was damage to my boat.

I can too - and I was on starboard. Totaled two boats. The guilt was properly assigned. The whole thing was regrettable but it worked out. I wouldn't think I, as starboard boat, should shed any hint of responsibility to avoid damage to boat, life, or limb just because of the angle of my boat.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rule change [Re: Jake] #257485
02/14/13 09:47 AM
02/14/13 09:47 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Jake

How often does this scenario you state happen? You guys are proposing fixes to a hypothetical problem that doesn't exist.

Agree, you guys are trying to fix something that is not broken. Jeff when was the last time you were in 60+ boat fleet going around A mark or better yet the gate with a bunch of jacked up A type personalities? The rules in their current form work really well in my opinion.

If you feel that storngly about it put it in your SI's, test the water.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Rule change [Re: pgp] #257494
02/14/13 10:35 AM
02/14/13 10:35 AM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
The real question should be
"When was the last time there was unneeded boat damage or injury in those conditions that could/should have been avoided but were not because someone felt the right of way boat could/would just avoid contact if they misjudged?"

I am not proposing that we change the rules but something that would reduce the behavior.

Re: Rule change [Re: orphan] #257495
02/14/13 10:36 AM
02/14/13 10:36 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

The real question should be
"When was the last time there was unneeded boat damage or injury in those conditions that could/should have been avoided but were not because someone felt the right of way boat could/would just avoid contact if they misjudged?"

I am not proposing that we change the rules but something that would reduce the behavior.

Restore the historical rule, dsq.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Rule change [Re: David Ingram] #257496
02/14/13 10:41 AM
02/14/13 10:41 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

If you feel that storngly about it put it in your SI's, test the water.

I'm not sure you are allowed to change (technically speaking) those rules in the SI's...per the rules.

Jake Kohl
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 667 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022