Kicking tires... #257524
02/14/13 11:40 PM
02/14/13 11:40 PM
JJ_ Offline OP
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline OP
enthusiast

[Linked Image]

In North Carolina (US). It came from SA. Please, fill me in on what to look for?

It has, for starters:
"vacuum drawn epoxy hulls by Steve du Toit"
"Dotan rudder system"

Parts a problem? Is the mast rig usually standard, or is nothing standard? It has North Sails sails and tramp...

Last edited by JJ_; 02/14/13 11:40 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Kicking tires... [Re: JJ_] #257543
02/18/13 02:43 AM
02/18/13 02:43 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi JJ,

not sure what you are asking. Is the boat located in North Carolina USA?

When you say came from SA I assume you mean South Africa? If so I am afraid the regulars on this site may not be much help, as we are mostly in Australia, South African guys used to post occasionaly, maybe they still visit and will reply.

As far as standard, you can't go to a shop and ask for a part for a Mosquito, but you will be able to replace most parts with Ronstan or Harken parts if they need it. Just take the part with you.

In Australia we have class rules that tell you what is allowed, but no restrictions on who supplys the sails, masts and fittings etc.

Hope that is some help, looks like a nice boat if photo is up to date.

Re: Kicking tires... [Re: JJ_] #257576
02/18/13 02:45 PM
02/18/13 02:45 PM
JJ_ Offline OP
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline OP
enthusiast

Sorry for being too brief. Thanks for response.

Yes, the boat is in North Carolina, USA. Here's the full ad: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/3594400520.html

The owner is from South Africa, came here apparently with work. He said he brought hulls from South Africa and assembled the boat here.

The whole design concept looks nice -- what I have seen of it online since I haven't actually seen this boat yet. Just trying to get some preliminary specs and feedback before I did look at it and you've directly and indirectly answered most of my questions -- most of the parts are stock from Ronstan or Harken and others. Apparently the dolphin striker and mast stepper are special designs...

Re: Kicking tires... [Re: JJ_] #257596
02/19/13 03:19 AM
02/19/13 03:19 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

yeah can't help much more, they started out as the same boat as Australian Mossie (Mosquito was designed in Australia). But some differences paticularly in masts beams etc. are bound to have occured over the years, if I remember rightly from dicussion on this forum years ago they are heavier than Aussie Mossie.

I am sure would be a great boat to race as long as you are not too heavy.

Re: Kicking tires... [Re: JJ_] #257628
02/19/13 08:27 PM
02/19/13 08:27 PM
JJ_ Offline OP
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline OP
enthusiast

As a footnote after seeing the boat...

This one is bit world weary.

But!

1. The design's got great proportions. This one is light.
2. The Dotan rudder system is fantastic (although replacement parts could be a problem).
3. The mast is so easy it's ridiculous.

My conclusion is that this is THE design for a solo performance boat or an entry level solo performance boat. But I'm back to my Hobie with the telephone pole for a mast, ready to give me a new hernia when I move it around on the beach wheels...

Thanks again

Re: Kicking tires... [Re: JJ_] #258059
03/05/13 12:03 AM
03/05/13 12:03 AM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline
enthusiast
dkd  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
Hi JJ,

There is basically no differences between the Australian boats and the South African ones, both come from same plans etc etc.

The full specifications should be available on the national website if not, just ask and someone will get a copy to you, probably the National Secretary (Peter) will do it.

Fittings are straight off the shelf, some are custom made from various boat builders but things like the dolphin striker etc are detailed in the plans, and adaptable from what is available in the USA.

Any questions feel free to ask, and good to see another boat in North America. (believe there is one in Canada)

David

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022