03/15/13 11:00 PM
03/15/13 11:00 PM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline OP
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline OP
addict

Minnesota
Carbon fiber composites have been around for awhile, now. So if there is going to be aging problems, I would think it is about time for problems to start showing up. Has anyone noticed problems like delamination, fatigue, crazing, erosion, or embrittlement?

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #258374
03/17/13 07:28 AM
03/17/13 07:28 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
I dunno, maybe you could be more specific?
Yes, everything ages. Problems, depend on usage and design load cycles / build quality / actual usage vs. intended purpose...

Its a composite so there are too many variables involved to answer this generally IMHO.

My feeling is that layups have been getting lighter, especially since infusion became (almost?) mainstream but maybe not weaker in general. Boats designed for racing, with lots of carbon will have been designed on the light side to begin with. More recreational boats will take re-sale value into account as opposed to line honors...
I never heard many sailors complaining about brittle carbon, except in quite specific cases where a particular design may have saved a little too much weight in a certain year and fixed it the next.

Dennis

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #258377
03/17/13 10:21 AM
03/17/13 10:21 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
UV is your biggest enemy.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #258378
03/17/13 12:29 PM
03/17/13 12:29 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

UV is the biggest enemy for the (epoxy-)resin, not for the carbon tissue itself.

Nevertheless unprotected black carbon/resin laminate will heatup considerably in the sun.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #258382
03/17/13 04:01 PM
03/17/13 04:01 PM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

With carbon composites you have a few potential failure causes (with the exception of good old fashioned breaking due to higher than designed loads.

1. wrong resin: Using too stiff a reason (ie polyester) will result in the matrix breaking down and delaminating. Can be prevented by always using epoxy.

2. UV damage can cause the resin to break down and wait for it.... delaminate. Can be prevented by painting with a suitable paint, so stop posing and loose the clear carbon.

3. Getting too hot can cause the resin to soften and re-distribute itself in the matrix, so make sure the above paint is white.

4. Too much resin will make it harder and can cause it to crack as per 1. above. So worst case weigh out your resin, best case use infusion or pre-preg.

5. Not enough resin means the fibers wont be held together properly and they'll delaminate when loaded. See above for fix.

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: northsea junkie] #258385
03/17/13 05:29 PM
03/17/13 05:29 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

UV is the biggest enemy for the (epoxy-)resin, not for the carbon tissue itself.

Nevertheless unprotected black carbon/resin laminate will heatup considerably in the sun.

OK Capt. Semantics, carbon fiber parts aren't much use without the resin now are they?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #258391
03/18/13 03:26 AM
03/18/13 03:26 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
[/quote]

OK Capt. Semantics, carbon fiber parts aren't much use without the resin now are they? [/quote]

What I ment to say is that for the carbonfibre composite there isn't much difference with the good oldfashioned glass composite.

The "weak" component remains the resin: UV detoriation, critical for weight ratio tissue/resin, hardening complications (moisture,etc), after-hardening, etc.

Sometimes people forget that the only function of the resin is keeping the filaments of the glass/carbon/kevlar/orwhatever tissue together and in place.
This requires a very specific close-fitting fabrication of any composite. So from this point of view there isn't much difference between glass and carbon laminates.

A lot laymen think that Carbonfibre composites are some kind of miracle material (well it is invented in aerospace-industry), but it isn't.

It has the same usual disadvantages as all the other composites (infact even more).

For the rest, I'm all in what Scarecrow wrote above.

smile

Last edited by northsea junkie; 03/18/13 05:16 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: northsea junkie] #258619
03/29/13 10:10 PM
03/29/13 10:10 PM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline OP
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline OP
addict

Minnesota
Hmm..., I was expecting to at least get a little controversy out of this posting. Not even one bad experience out there with carbon fiber? --All I got was a lecture from the wissened sailing elders to the ignorant masses, about the basics of boat construction. I guess that's a good sign that there haven't been any real problems specific to carbon composites.
The U.S. Airforce has to hide their Stealth airplanes in buildings, because the weather and sun damages them. Must not be a problem for sailboats. --Must be the white paint.

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #258621
03/29/13 10:53 PM
03/29/13 10:53 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Jeff Peterson
The U.S. Airforce has to hide their Stealth airplanes in buildings, because the weather and sun damages them.

Has nothing to do with carbon fiber and everything to do with the RAM (radar absorbent material) used to cover the plane's skin.

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: mbounds] #258627
03/30/13 01:28 PM
03/30/13 01:28 PM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Best to look at how glass and more lately carbon gliders have faired after all they have been around the longest. What started off as 3000 flight hours before being timed out, that was extended to 6000 and then I believe to 12000. As long as the resin is protected from uv and over stressing, modern composites just seem to carry on.

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: waynemarlow] #258629
03/30/13 04:23 PM
03/30/13 04:23 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
My carbon N20 mast has taken 12 years of abuse now. We bend the hell out of it with double trap spinn reaching. I even ease the main ALOT in the puffs to keep from driving off. It's a Southern Spars mast, which I believe is a little stiffer than the other ones. I think keeping it protected with the paint is key.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: ] #258630
03/30/13 05:08 PM
03/30/13 05:08 PM
P
phill Offline
veteran
phill  Offline
veteran
P

In addition to what has been said already:-

I know that at least some good quality pre pregs have UV inhibitors in the resin to protect from UV.

Also a good quality pre preg will have a relatively high cure temp and if you elevate the cure temp, in accordance with resin recommendation, towards the end of the cure cycle that can help the laminate withstand extremes of heat caused by the sun.

If you are not using pre preg get a resin with data sheets that detail the vacuum window. Weigh everything and follow the data sheets to avoid resin starvation in the laminate. Alternatively don't pull too high a vacuum.
Also post cure the laminate but I would still paint it white.

If you did not make it yourself and not privy to all the details paint it white.

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: ] #258631
03/30/13 08:19 PM
03/30/13 08:19 PM
B
Bille Offline
Bille  Offline
B

Originally Posted by Scarecrow

3. Getting too hot can cause the resin to soften and re-distribute itself in the matrix, so make sure the above paint is white.

4. Too much resin will make it harder and can cause it to crack as per 1. above. So worst case weigh out your resin, best case use infusion or pre-preg.

#3) the heat "WILL" also cause your foam-core to melt !!
another reason for white paint. I use Nomex-Honeycomb
so i don't care about that one, UV inhibitors will work.
to protect the resin though, if Ya like that Carbon look !

#4) Weigh the resin like the man said
(1-gram of fiber TO 1-gram of resin) spread it out then
get rid of 15% of the resin with shop-towels wrapped
around toilet-paper ; Or use Peal-Ply & baby-blanket under
the vacuum bag.

Too much resin will cause the lamination's to FLOAT with
epoxy between ; this causes the Epoxy to act like a core
material so as to add thickness. NOT GOOD because the epoxy
is kinda brittle so it breaks down between the fibers.
A Quality core increases the strength by the (3) of the thickness.

Bille

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #258644
04/01/13 10:27 AM
04/01/13 10:27 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
UV and heat cause premature aging. The aging you cannot help is from mechanical cycling. Basically this is the number of times it cycles through its structural design or is bent from minus x to plus x. For any design you could produce a curve that relates load, cycles per hour and life

Every time you apply a full load cycle to a composite, you get some level of micro delamination. In theory the designer should determine what loads it must handle and what lifetime they want and back out the laminate. This is true for all plastic laminates and aluminum. Steel is different. Carbon and aluminum crack and fall apart. Steel gets flexy. In Engineering this usually lumped under fatigue.

I have never seen a study of the life of a catamaran. There was one published for mtn bikes. A light cross country racing carbon frame was good for about 3 years. Similar aluminum frames ranges from 4-5 years for hydoformed aluminum to ~6 years for welded tubing. Building a general purpose trail frame that is .5 to 1.5 lb heavier extends the life to 10-12 years.

Boats are different from bike frames. With one design boats there is a minimum weight. Newer designs put strength/weight where it is needed and greatly increase life. For example Lightnings and Tornados. Manufacturer one designs, at least to me, seem to have good years and bad years depending on how accurate the venders claims for their resin, fabric, core material etc was. With formula boats it's mixed, though the best built ones seem to live long enough to become obsolete. Because you have a volume production boat used for the Olympics there is some data available for Lasers. I seem to remember 5 years weekend warrior is equal to 6 months for an Olympic hopeful.

This is about as much as I know. Don't bother to ask me anymore. This is a area where I have to go ask experts and there are not many of them.

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: carlbohannon] #258648
04/01/13 11:18 AM
04/01/13 11:18 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I'm too lazy to look, but can you recycle composite materials once it's past its useful life?

It doesn't melt?
Would burning it produce more problems than it's worth (for the heat output)?
Crushing/grinding? Any use for the product? (at least it wouldn't take up as much landfill space as a powder than a partially deconstructed hull/mast)

Jay

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #258650
04/01/13 12:12 PM
04/01/13 12:12 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ofcourse it melts! Below the boiling point of water, maybe 180 iirc.

20+ years ago I was warned to never anchor over a volcano! wink

Last edited by pgp; 04/01/13 12:14 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: carlbohannon] #258652
04/01/13 01:52 PM
04/01/13 01:52 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by carlbohannon

Every time you apply a full load cycle to a composite, you get some level of micro delamination. In theory the designer should determine what loads it must handle and what lifetime they want and back out the laminate. This is true for all plastic laminates and aluminum. Steel is different. Carbon and aluminum crack and fall apart. Steel gets flexy. In Engineering this usually lumped under fatigue.

The micro-delamination of a carbon-composite in a load-cycle, I don't quite understand. Nor the aluminium vulnerability.

If you stay with your loads far within the maximum tension values( I forgot the correct technical english for that), you don't damage the molecullar structure, aren't you????????

So, no hairline-cracks, no delamination, etc.

Besides, the aluminium fatigue I know, has often to do with outside surface-erosion (or inside; in closed tubes-constructions, like bicycles)

Is it not that this phenomenon which you describe, only applies for the situation that you pass now and then unforseenly and unwanted the stress-values of your material.?????????

Last edited by northsea junkie; 04/01/13 02:35 PM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: northsea junkie] #258666
04/02/13 10:34 AM
04/02/13 10:34 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
Steel and Titanium behave like you described. As long as you keep the load below tbd% of yield, there is no cycle limit. Aluminum and composites have a fatigue limit. Aluminum fatigue is well documented with Airliners. (Remember the aircraft on TV that failed because they exceeded the pressurization cycles or Landing Cycles without making mods to extend their life?) Heavy flexible composite have a very very long fatigue life. The stuff from the 90's was assumed to have an infinite cycle life. Stiff light composites with only just enough of the right material in the right place have a shorter life. Composites also have a problem with crack propagation. If you hit it in a way it was not designed for, it cracks and the crack propagates until it fails.

easy to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/91016/

Not easy to read, what the experts say to me
http://books.google.com/books?id=FW...e%20of%20carbon%20composites&f=false

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/av...Part_2_strength_and_life_predictions.pdf

Google "composite fatigue life predictions" and you will find plenty of technical articles and Conference Paper Reprints. There is a lot of information in the Public Information of the FAA.

This is not my area of expertise. I can't argue with you. Everything I have seen below the PHD level is proprietary. The only article on the subject, I know of was in, I think, Mountain Bike Action in the Fall of 2011. I showed it to 2 world class experts and they both said if their assumptions about the life of the aluminum frame is correct, it looks about right. I canceled an order for a super light carbon frame and bought a heavier aluminum one.

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #258679
04/02/13 12:56 PM
04/02/13 12:56 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Thanks Carl, for this clarifying and comprehensive information you gave me.

The first and most striking eye-opener for me to read was the notice that fibre composites are by nature inhomogeneous (resin and fibres) and anisotropic (=not as strong in each direction).

This very fact alone will always create fatigue!!!

I've never realized that.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Carbon Fiber Composites -Do they age? [Re: northsea junkie] #258688
04/02/13 07:16 PM
04/02/13 07:16 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by northsea junkie

The first and most striking eye-opener for me to read was the notice that fibre composites are by nature inhomogeneous (resin and fibres) and anisotropic (=not as strong in each direction).

Yes, this is part of the benefit in that you can build strength vs. flexibility in particular directions in a solid laminate. America's cup teams use this to great detail. Composite spar manufactures use this function in every mast they build.

Jake Kohl
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 474 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022