05/15/13 08:33 AM
05/15/13 08:33 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Wow, that is some crazy sh!t sailing down there! And I loved that they met with Peter Blake down there, I had to go look for the date of that film (2001), I know Peter was killed by pirates.

Thanks for sharing.

Blade F16
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Timbo] #259629
05/15/13 09:24 AM
05/15/13 09:24 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Timbo
Wow, that is some crazy sh!t sailing down there! And I loved that they met with Peter Blake down there, I had to go look for the date of that film (2001), I know Peter was killed by pirates.

Thanks for sharing.

Many of us had the pleasure of meeting Beto during a Tybee 500 (was it 2006 or 7?). They chartered a Nacra 20 to include the Tybee 500 as part of their sail up the eastern seaboard. I think they switched back to their custom Hobie at Tybee Island but they continued far north. They were quite fast on the Nacra 20.

Jake Kohl
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Bille] #259630
05/15/13 09:39 AM
05/15/13 09:39 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Wow, repaired a broken mast, recovered from turtle. They even brought their beach wheels. And Jake, they had them tied to "the top" of the boat. wink

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: P.M.] #259633
05/15/13 10:14 AM
05/15/13 10:14 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by mummp
Wow, repaired a broken mast, recovered from turtle. They even brought their beach wheels. And Jake, they had them tied to "the top" of the boat. wink

I hear it's faster that way.

You should hear/see their story about rain forest sailing they did. They pulled their boat(s) apart and hiked them into the forest to go sailing. Those boys are serious.

Jake Kohl
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Timbo] #259634
05/15/13 10:24 AM
05/15/13 10:24 AM
B
Bille Offline OP
Bille  Offline OP
B

... I know Peter was killed by pirates.

Thanks for sharing.

Any links to "That" story ? A BAD way to go
and prefer to stay away from places with pirates !

ALSO
anyone got details on how the reefing system works
for the Main ,on the 21's in the video ?

Kinda looks like the Boom rolls the main then locks ;
so the sail tension comes from Halyard ?

Bille

Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Bille] #259635
05/15/13 10:32 AM
05/15/13 10:32 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Originally Posted by Bille

Bille

It is the standard Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser main system. Boom rolls by cranking a handle in the front of the mast, like a starting handle on a Model T. Aft end is held up by a topping lift line.

That was a great boat... 21 Sport Cruiser FAQ

Luff tension is achieved by 3:1 main halyard and a Cunningham.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Jake] #259637
05/15/13 10:41 AM
05/15/13 10:41 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Jake

Thanks for sharing.

Many of us had the pleasure of meeting Beto during a Tybee 500 (was it 2006 or 7?). They chartered a Nacra 20 to include the Tybee 500 as part of their sail up the eastern seaboard. I think they switched back to their custom Hobie at Tybee Island but they continued far north. They were quite fast on the Nacra 20.

That was the year of the Atlantic 1000/ obx 500 They raced the N-20 to the Outer Banks ,then sailed it to New York.
Beto Pandiani is an exceptional human being with lots of great stories about the many,many places he has sailed catamarans.Lots of those places he was the first.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: mmiller] #259638
05/15/13 10:48 AM
05/15/13 10:48 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by mmiller

Bille

It is the standard Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser main system. Boom rolls by cranking a handle i=on the front of the mast, like a starting handle on a Model T. Aft end is held up by a topping lift line.

That was a great boat... 21 Sport Cruiser FAQ

Luff tension is achieved by 3:1 main halyard and a Cunningham.

He used the Hobie on one of his previous expeditions, this boat was custom built and the rig looks bigger that an h-21.

"Beto Pandiani
May 11
Olá a todos amigos e amigas.
O Igor meu companheiro de viagem acabou de sair aqui de casa de volta para Lyon onde ele mora.
A viagem acabou, mas ainda temos o livro de fotos, as exposições e palestras. Não sabemos quando vamos nos encontrar novamente, mas sabemos que nossos planos vão nos unir alguma hora. Sonhamos em velejar pelo Ártico, pelas ilhas do Oceano Índico e sabe lá onde mais iremos juntos. O que sei é que juntos atravessamos o Pacífico e o Oceano Atlântico, e já ...See More
Hello to all friends.
Igor my traveling companion just came out here at home back to Lyon where he lives.
The trip is over, but we still have the picture book, the exhibitions and lectures. We don't know when we'll meet again, but we know that our plans will unite some time. We dreamed of sailing the Arctic, the islands of the Indian Ocean and knows where else we are going together. What I do know is that together we crossed the Pacific and the Atlantic Ocean, and already we have 108 days of open sea with 26 thousand miles traveled. My great friend back to France and here with me is a lot of beautiful memories.
We went through many difficult situations together, we have a lot of laughter, were us, we are sad, we had to deal with all kinds of adversity, but we have a record that is worth more than all our brands. We never desintendemos, never discussed and every mile navigated our friendship was strengthened. We are very different in many things, but we have learned to take advantage of our diversity. What we have in common? Respect, mutual affection and awareness that together we are one. For us the most important thing is not what we do but how we do it.
Igor Bely, thank you very much for another. I know that some time we will be together again, meanwhile we will play the seeds of our dreams out there that the wind will take charge of take them where necessary.
Big hug.
Photo Beto Pandiani. (Translated by Bing)

Attached Files
Beto reef.jpg (21 downloads)

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Bille] #259654
05/15/13 06:04 PM
05/15/13 06:04 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.

... I know Peter was killed by pirates.

Thanks for sharing.

Any links to "That" story ? A BAD way to go
and prefer to stay away from places with pirates !

Bille

Here's all I could find about it on Wiki.

Sir Peter Blake died when a group of rogues robbed his ship. Sir Peter Blake was a sailor who won many trophies for NZ and contributed greatly in trying to save the environment when he saw how dirty the water he sailed in was.

While Sir Peter Blake was passing through the Amazon for an expedition with his crew a group of pirates ambushed them. One of the pirates pointed guns at Sir Peter Blake. Sir Peter Blake rushed down to get a rifle and shot on of the in the hand. However, another pirates host him in a lethal place thus killing him instantly.

Everyone who was in the pirate crew was sentenced 32 years of jail and the one who killed Sir Peter Blake was sentenced 36 years of jail. That was a small price to pay for one of NZ's greatest hero's of all time.

Blade F16
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Bille] #259655
05/15/13 07:26 PM
05/15/13 07:26 PM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
Beto's got big balls on one trip he sailed his Eagle 20 cat from Greenland to New York
He posted about 30 photos on another site a while back heres an answer he sent back
{"hi Jeff. All the text that I have are in portuguese. I publish here in Brazil, 6 books, 5 f then are photo's book, and one is text. The name is " O mar é minha Terra" it's means " The sea is my land" . I am…"}
heres a photo of him in Antartica

Attached Files
Beto in Antartica.jpg (32 downloads)

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Around Cape HORN in a small Cat [Re: Bille] #259660
05/16/13 07:19 AM
05/16/13 07:19 AM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Those guys have some serious, serious balls. Ain't no stock H21 in those videos but still a testament to how well built the Hobie line is in general. Wouldn't have wanted anything else in the 30 kts of breeze downwind run we did 2 years ago in the NCC.

26,000 ocean miles on beach cats, wow that is a stunning number. Those custom boats are works of art and very very impressive, crossing oceans on open boats is just insane.

Scorpion F18

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 718 guests, and 178 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022