06/10/13 05:27 PM
06/10/13 05:27 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
As Mike mentioned, there are some ways around the US Sailing requirement - an International Event which is defined in the ISAF Regulations as, "an event open to entries other than those from the national authority of the venue or any event organized in more than one country." If you expect competitors from Canada or Puerto Rico (we're talking an event in North America), the following language needs to be in the NOR under the "rules" section:

This is an international event, therefore, in accordance with the US Sailing prescription to RRS 88.2, the US Sailing prescription to RRS 40 is deleted.

But you're not done yet. Some class rules (Hobie Class) also require PFDs to be approved in the country of origin or jurisdiction - which means USCG in the US. So in addition to the above statement (which gets repeated in the SIs), you need the following language in the "Protests" section of the SIs:
Breaches of IHCA class rule 8.1 (with respect to the country of certification only) will not be grounds for a protest or a request for redress by a boat. This changes RRS 60.1. Penalties for these breaches may be less than disqualification if the PC so decides. The scoring abbreviation for a discretionary penalty imposed under this instruction will be DPI.

Often, the judges will have an issue with this, but since the RC drafts the SIs (not the judges), they will have to live with it - and you need to convince them to stay out of the issue (because they can still protest a boat). I did it with Means, and even he (Mr. Risk Management) was OK with it.

Of course, if you get pulled over for an inspection by the USCG and don't have a USCG approved PFD, you're going to get a ticket, no matter what the SIs say. One way around (most) everything is to wear what you like and stash a USCG PFD somewhere on the boat where it's out of the way.

Back to the original OP's question, though - there are some unique requirements in Australia (did ya notice where he's from?) that may exclude a some of our favorite vests, including that they be a bright color (red).

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260215
06/10/13 05:48 PM
06/10/13 05:48 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Unless you're talking about a different Mike, it wasn't me that mentioned the work-arounds, because I don't believe in them.

I personally think that US Sailing should not be in the business of doing anything but supporting whatever the current USCG regs require, period. The USCG reg already handles sailors from outside of the country, there is absolutely no reason to make additional changes (such as deleting the prescription). They should simply direct sailors to the reg in question.

I think all of these changes make the entire thing more difficult for people to accept, and OAs to enforce.

Don't take this as a vote for PFDs that suck. I'd rather see efforts be made to work with the USCG to fix this, as they are the actual authority in this area.

Mike

Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260216
06/10/13 05:58 PM
06/10/13 05:58 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I have been present when the RC was compelled by a competitor to file protest on a sailor wearing a CE vest. The RC thought they had it covered by making that rule non-protestable by a competitor. They didn't. The RC protested within the time limit on the last day and it was upheld. Because the SIs indicated that the penalty could be something other than a DSQ, the sailor received a percentage penalty that robbed her of the 1st place position at the regatta, rewarding the sailor who made the issue who had been in 2nd.

Like Karl said, you have to accept the possible outcome if you choose to break a rule. I wear a Zhik PFD to all events except the Alter Cup. I know what I could be in for. I'm pretty sure that the Alter Cup is the only event where people will do just about anything, including protesting a PFD to win.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260217
06/10/13 06:22 PM
06/10/13 06:22 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
What's the problem with sticking a USCG certified inflatable vest or cheap orange horseshoe vest in the hull to cover your bases and wear your CE vest. That meets USCG regs. Wearing it is usually a race rule not a coast guard rule, unless your under age (13?).

edit: Just saw Matt already addressed this.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260221
06/10/13 06:59 PM
06/10/13 06:59 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
According to Mike Krantz the process to be CG approved is lengthy, meticulous and EXPENSIVE. maybe he'll explain it here.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260223
06/10/13 07:22 PM
06/10/13 07:22 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Todd, that MAY save you from getting a ticket, although you can still be cited if the PFD isn't "readily accessible," but always carefully check the SIs on this issue: US SAILING frequently requires the USCG PFD be "worn" and not just "carried."

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: life jackets [Re: John Williams] #260226
06/10/13 08:21 PM
06/10/13 08:21 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by John Williams
(T)he RC was compelled by a competitor to file protest on a sailor wearing a CE vest.

I'd like to know how a competitor "compelled" the RC to protest. The RC may (permissive) protest a boat (60.2) and only shall (must) protest a boat when they "receive a report required by rule 43.1(c)(clothing weight) or 78.3 (class rule compliance)" (RRS 60.2)

Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260229
06/11/13 12:05 AM
06/11/13 12:05 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Offline chat... beer SHALL be required.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: life jackets [Re: John Williams] #260235
06/11/13 06:08 AM
06/11/13 06:08 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Beer is good.

Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260240
06/11/13 07:38 AM
06/11/13 07:38 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

You guys just made my point. Every time US Sailing (or some well-intentioned OA or RC) decides that they are smarter than the RRS or USCG, it becomes hell for everyone involved.

I can think of some scenarios where the RC would feel pressured to file, but would love to hear this too, so I can watch out for similar nonsense.

Mike

Re: life jackets [Re: brucat] #260249
06/11/13 09:01 AM
06/11/13 09:01 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Oh come on guys.... read between the lines.

The final result matters (probably to parents more then kids) ... so, you play the game using all of the rules on the books and count on the ref to make you a winner. Sailing is now just like any other sport. Working the ref is part of the gamesmanship in the game. The ethos of call your own foul has morphed into call protest and let the ref decide.... So... it is even better when you can shame the OA and PRO into calling the foul for you rather then be accused of violating safety rules.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260251
06/11/13 09:41 AM
06/11/13 09:41 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Sailors have found a way around the "only RC may protest a breach of rule X" clause. Instead of protesting under rule X, they protest under rule 2, alleging that the protestee committed unsportsmanlike conduct by knowingly breaking a rule. Once the protest hearing is open, then PC must apply rule X.

There is a way around rule 88.2 (which would allow SI's to change rule 40), but I hesitate to give the details.

A practical, although unpalatable solution is to change the penalty (anything from "no penalty", or a "warning", to a discretionary penalty). Another option would be to "exonerate" a boat for breaking rule 40 if a CE vest were worn instead of a USCG vest.

If, however, you really want to wear a CE vest in the USA, then you should carry a "readily accessible" USCG vest on board as well. That way, you follow the law and the rules.

Regards,
Eric

Re: life jackets [Re: Mark Schneider] #260252
06/11/13 09:48 AM
06/11/13 09:48 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Oh come on guys.... read between the lines.

The final result matters (probably to parents more then kids) ... so, you play the game using all of the rules on the books and count on the ref to make you a winner. Sailing is now just like any other sport. Working the ref is part of the gamesmanship in the game. The ethos of call your own foul has morphed into call protest and let the ref decide.... So... it is even better when you can shame the OA and PRO into calling the foul for you rather then be accused of violating safety rules.

Good grief Mark you can be a bit dramatic, you never bore me.

First off the ethics of the game haven't changed in the 43 years I've been playing it and if anything they have improved in my opinion. You and I are looking at and playing the same game and seeing it very differently and this is coming from a guy that as a rule doesn't like people.

As for this situation with rule 40 the rules are clear and are being used correctly. The Alter Cup inciedent was many years ago and a lesson was learned and as Matt has demonstrated (even with oldtimers I can remember who writes what Matt) if you put in the proper wording to the required documents using the rules as written it's a non issue.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: life jackets [Re: Isotope235] #260253
06/11/13 09:50 AM
06/11/13 09:50 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Isotope42
There is a way around rule 88.2 (which would allow SI's to change rule 40), but I hesitate to give the details.

That cat is long out of the bag.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260254
06/11/13 10:36 AM
06/11/13 10:36 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

The longer I do this, the more I appreciate the advice of several of my mentors (two IROs, an IJ and an IU): stop changing rules with the SIs. You can only make things worse.

Mike

Re: life jackets [Re: brucat] #260259
06/11/13 11:13 AM
06/11/13 11:13 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Mike
As Jake noted...a CE vest makes it easier to get under the boom.... This is an advantage... The US Sailing Prescriptions (part of the RRS we must honor) require CG approved vests to comply with federal and state law.
CE vests have less buoyancy then CG vests.

Do you expect the competitors to honor the rule?
Do you expect competitors to enforce with a protest?
Do you expect the RC to protest?
Do you expect the OA to attempt to manage the issue and change the rules with the SIs?
Do you expect the OA to be smart about it and not mandate wearing a CG life vest in the SIs.. (So.. you can just have one on the boat)
Do you expect the OA's to take on responsibility by over ruling the USCG safety rule and finding a way around?
Do you expect the manufacturer to push a change in safety standards through USCG (less flotation).
Do you expect Dave and or Todd to bark at unamed individuals to fall in line with the majority in the fleet?
Do you expect clubs to embarass sailors who are not following the rules by calling them out individually but not protesting?

My view is that I can honor the rule by stuffing an orange CG vest in my hull and wear what I want... a CE vest. I count on the OA not taking away my responsiblity as a skipper by requiring a LJ at all times or worse... a CG approved LJ at all times. So... to the extent that as a PRO you don't fly the Life Jacket required flag OR put LJ requirements in the SIs... I agree... We have a work around.. It is a PIA to pull that orange POS jacket out of the hull to dry.... but I choose my poison.

US Sailing feels that as the standard bearer... they must set the example and so they require wearing CG vests at all of their named events at all times... (could be a keel boat J22 drifter and the gals are still wearing vests).

Most events ignore their lead thankfully!

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 06/11/13 11:35 AM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: life jackets [Re: Pirate] #260261
06/11/13 11:38 AM
06/11/13 11:38 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Mark, if no one futzes with the rules in the SIs, your solution works...

Mike

Re: life jackets [Re: John Williams] #260262
06/11/13 11:40 AM
06/11/13 11:40 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by John Williams
Todd, that MAY save you from getting a ticket, although you can still be cited if the PFD isn't "readily accessible," but always carefully check the SIs on this issue: US SAILING frequently requires the USCG PFD be "worn" and not just "carried."

Um-kay... Get the bright orange USCG pfd, fold it in half and velcro it to your boom... right about where you'd bonk your head in a chinese gybe situation.

Take care of two issues simultaneously - an approved vest in an "readily accessable" location AND not getting your brains knocked out by the boom...

Now, if you attach 50' of 3mm spectra to that pfd, does it also qualify as "throwable"?

Jay

Re: life jackets [Re: John Williams] #260266
06/11/13 01:22 PM
06/11/13 01:22 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

John - remember the discussion we had with Dave during breakfast, in Houston in '09? Was that not right after the ISAF Youth Qualifier at ABYC?

Chuck Hawley has acquired multihull safety recommendations from around the country to include in a re-write of the OSR. I do know that the Gulf Yachting Association is in alignment with the Bay Area Multihull Association. Mark Hansen has played a role in this. The MHC Safety Comm you created has not been asleep.
If you, Matt, Dave, Mark,Hansen, and Mike Levesque would like to pursue this, let me know, and I will send you the stuff from Chuck.
The prescription to rule 40 is outside the lifelines of fairness and rarely enforced...BTW - Several competitors were in violation of said prescription during the previous Alter Cup and Means, nor Fairlie, said a word, even though, it was obvious. They did hire Liz to assist in a porch-side talk regarding respect for the Race Committee, which was out on the water that day, ready to race, while the competitors elected to remain ashore until it 'warmed up.' That WAS a Risk Management move, if I ever saw one.

Last edited by catandahalf; 06/11/13 01:23 PM.
Re: life jackets [Re: catandahalf] #260267
06/11/13 01:40 PM
06/11/13 01:40 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by catandahalf
They did hire Liz to assist in a porch-side talk regarding respect for the Race Committee, which was out on the water that day, ready to race, while the competitors elected to remain ashore until it 'warmed up.'

What the he!! has happened to us and when did we get so freaking delicate!?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 723 guests, and 97 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022