I recently picked up a nacra 5.8.

I'm hoping on doing some modding to it this fall/winter.

I've already asked a question about adding a boom and a square top main, and received some great answers.

Moving forward in the boat, my next question is in regards to the jib.

I am hoping to install a self-tacking, roller-furled jib. I am proficient in metal working (winter hobby) so fabricating the curved track will be a piece of cake. As for the sail, i'll be having whirlwind make it up according to the required specs.

But now i am talking about adding a square-top in the back, and a blade jib in the front. Will this lead to helm balance problems? It's been said, but is it really feasible to obtain the same Sq. Ft. as the original overlapping jib with a self tacking jib by extending the luff? Will it be enough to counter-balance the larger main? Will i have to do some really funky stuff to my mast rake to make this work? Will my boards' position be incorrect? Are there any unknown factors those with experience can point out to me?

It's also worthwhile to note, i am adding a spinnaker as well, so the lessened downwind performance of a "blade" jib isn't a factor. spinnaker questions will likely be next smile

Also, for those wondering why i didn't just get a F18 or F20, i got this boat, (a 1998 5.8, in perfect shape, with gelcoat i can see my reflection in, that's been on an inland lake for the last decade, that came with a trailer) for $2,600. I'm hoping for performance that's on par with an F-18 for <6k all in. I'll have a boat with all new sails to boot.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.