11/19/03 11:07 AM
11/19/03 11:07 AM
Kingston, Ont.
Beener Offline OP
stranger
Beener  Offline OP
stranger

Kingston, Ont.
I have a 1980 Hobie 16. The pylons are quite sloppy and I was thinking about racing in the spring. Next to glueing, is there a legal way to tighten these up. The cat is in quite good shape, is it worth fixing up to race it or should I look at a new one. What does everyone use for foot grip, mine has all worn off. Thanks, I'm new to the forum so sorry for all the questions. If there is good threads about this stuff let me know. [color:"brown"] [/color]

Transplanted Lake Winnipeger
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Heeelp [Re: Beener] #26335
11/19/03 01:29 PM
11/19/03 01:29 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
I’d say race what you got then if you feel like it’s slowing you down get a new one.

Theres a great article at TheBeachCats.com about how to glue your frame.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules...&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

If the link doesn’t work go to the site and click on Do It Your Self on the right.

If you don’t want to glue them you may be able to use shims but I’ve never done it.

Use a Hobie supplied carpet kit for the rails.

You’ve got some great racing up there.
Check out www.fleet204.com The MadCatter is a must sail. We have a blast every year at CORK also.

Re: Heeelp [Re: Beener] #26336
11/19/03 01:30 PM
11/19/03 01:30 PM
Bogie Offline
journeyman
Bogie  Offline
journeyman

Sure, anything you can shove between the pylon and corner casting would legally tighten up the fit. Some people put a beer can over the top of the pylons and refit the frame, although I've never tried it. The trouble with this kind of remedy, is, the stuff wears loose and falls back out.

Re: Heeelp [Re: Beener] #26337
11/19/03 01:34 PM
11/19/03 01:34 PM
C
CrazyGoose Offline
stranger
CrazyGoose  Offline
stranger
C

What size are your pylon bolts? if they're less than 1/2" you can drill the holes out to 1/2" and probably remove some of the slop. You can also cut up beer cans and make shims. Shimming will allow you to easily disassemble the boat when necessary. Doing the epoxy thing is a lot of work for a minimal amount of benefit and the boat is difficult to get apart.

Re: Heeelp [Re: Beener] #26338
11/19/03 01:38 PM
11/19/03 01:38 PM
Thunder Bay ON CAN
M
mmadge Offline
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
Welcome to the forum.You moved from one great sailing venue to another.I have sailed at Gimili a number of times twice at the Canadian hobie Nationals and once at the N.A laser champs,biggest waves I have ever been in,bigger then Lake Superior where I sail.also sailed at the Canadian hobie nationals at Kingston.
In response to your question I too have the same problem.From what i have read you can permanently stiffen by glueing or you could shim the posts with strips of aluminum i.e.old pop cans or I have heard of people using duct tape.I will tell you though the new boats are definitly nice.there are a lot of nice features on the new boats.i quess it all depends on how serious you want to race.There is some excellent 16 sailors from your area and I believe the 16 Continentals are located close to you in 2004.On the other hand there have been some excellent sailors that can take an old hobie and make it go fast.hope this helped a bit any other ? you could e-mail me directly or use the forum as there is a lot of knowledgable on this site
mike
for foot grip I use a roll of tapethatr is sticky on one side an roughed up on the other don,t know what it is called but i have used it for years

Re: Heeelp [Re: mmadge] #26339
11/19/03 02:07 PM
11/19/03 02:07 PM
Kingston, Ont.
Beener Offline OP
stranger
Beener  Offline OP
stranger

Kingston, Ont.
Thanks for all the info everyone. I had originally thought that glueing was a nono. I will try the pop can deal though. Yes, if you have sailed Gimli before, you know why my pylons are loose. If I can get my hands on the pictures I'll post them here. Me and my pal, on the rail and hulls airborne. Its a blast until you break something. I love the water here though, I have noticed that because its so deep, we don't get the waves. It'll be nice and smooth. Thanks again.Beener

Transplanted Lake Winnipeger

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022