10/05/13 08:17 AM
SA ; Barmera
Mark_Pfennig Offline OP
stranger
Mark_Pfennig  Offline OP
stranger

SA ; Barmera
Hi All,

LBYC are having their opening weekend and today was a fun filled day had by all. The sailors were met with 15 to 18 sometimes 25 knots on flat water. The two races were well fought by all and some were found to be a bit rusty and going for swims! With a fleet of pacers, paper tigers, mozzies spin and non, cobras, 4.9 tipans, 5.7 tipans and a nacre 5.8. Not to mention the 5 18 foot skiffs, there was plenty to see.
Tomorrow will see a little more sedate wind speed of 10 to 12 knots for the two races.
Will post the results tomorrow or on Monday, but with that aside the best thing of all is that it is a great weekend to blow the cobwebs off and catch up.
Happy sailing smile

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: LBYC Opening [Re: Mark_Pfennig] #265736
10/07/13 07:25 AM
10/07/13 07:25 AM
McLaren Vale, SA
Rebel without a Clew Offline
journeyman
Rebel without a Clew  Offline
journeyman

McLaren Vale, SA
Great Regatta,
Bit rusty and a tad amnesiac as to what does what, good weekend to stretch out the new rigging, and some old ligaments. Strong and shifty winds [it is Barmera in October!] were a baptism for the season to come. Managed to stay upright on Saturday but broke a few things, one of which was the harness. Many thanks to the Thomas family who kindly lent Kirsten's harness as she was not competing this weekend. In keeping with the family gene Kirsten is tall and slim, me, less so,[visualise a hamster standing up, but with less hair!]Sunday morning with an unfamiliar harness, I could not get my legs through the straps, even with the shoulder straps set on maximum made my eyes water [the sailing equivalent to the squirrel grip] The morning race was a blur [through watering eyes] the harness hook was inadvertantly set off to the left [my fault] which made different tacks new territory, in pain, from a medical perspective the optical-testical nerve was being compressed resulting in micro second racing decisions being compromised [lapped by the rescue boat]lunch time all the straps were set to their maximums and the PFD worn over everything,for the afternoon race it was amazing what a bit of blood flow to the nether regions does for a males capacity to think logically.
[Einstein agreed with this..one brain...one family jewels...only enough blood to supply one at a time!]
Barmera had a large contingent of Taipans and Nacra's not only from the South East but also from Victoria's Sunrasia District[no names but the big lad sails in King Gee work shorts and shirt+pfd and ronstan booties]what does he wear to work? For the south east sailors it was a 6hour + drive each way to attend an opening regatta in the Riverland, which is a very large commitment. My right hand is still numb from shaking hands with Mark W. The SA 18 footers were there and are a very spectacular boat from both a competitor and spectator point of view, the gusty lake conditions caught them out a few times, all in all a great weekend, full marks to LBYC for an excellently run event,they deserve more support from the metro clubs
Cheers,
Roy,
Mosquito 1770,
ps. shoulders hurt,legs hurt, back hurts, getting too old for this cowpoo [can't say s#it,apparently] ......wish I was 20,..30 even...40would be good,...would settle for 50!!

Re: LBYC Opening [Re: Mark_Pfennig] #265792
10/07/13 03:21 PM
10/07/13 03:21 PM
To windward of you!
Sixth Element Offline
journeyman
Sixth Element  Offline
journeyman

To windward of you!
hi Roy,
Again thanks for coming up and flying the flag for the Adelaide clubs it is much appriciated. Its a shame some more metro club people didnt make it up, 2-3 hr drive isnt that much compared to the guys from the south-east. Plus 15-20knots and flat water is just fun in any language.

Again thanks to all those who travelled up. Our results are available on our facebook page at the moment with website to come later.

Cheers.

"Sixth Element"
1782 MK2 w/spinnaker.
Lake Bonney Y.C.
National Sec. / S.A President / S.A Measurer / Commodore LBYC
Re: LBYC Opening [Re: Sixth Element] #265794
10/07/13 03:25 PM
10/07/13 03:25 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline
old hand
Pirate  Offline
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by alegayter_mossie
.... on our facebook page at the moment with website to come later....

links ???

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

Re: LBYC Opening [Re: Mark_Pfennig] #265802
10/07/13 04:47 PM
10/07/13 04:47 PM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

That was about as good as racing gets on a lake, good wind with good gusts in about 30 degrees, even the morning race which started as a typical drifter turned into pretty good wind, got to see Matrix with the new spinnaker setup and caught him on vid washing it for the first time, will have to include that when I get the vid up. I've been taking the family to that regatta for a few years now and I was impressed by how many new boats were there but surprised by how many of the old boats didn't turn up basically a lot of 16ft's didn't show and a lot of new 18ft and over showed. I found the 18ft skiff guys easy to get along with and they were about the same speed as the cats around the course so would welcome them in the same start at any regatta I turned up to

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: LBYC Opening [Re: Mark_Pfennig] #265861
10/08/13 03:16 PM
10/08/13 03:16 PM
To windward of you!
Sixth Element Offline
journeyman
Sixth Element  Offline
journeyman

To windward of you!
Our facebook page with results etc is https://www.facebook.com/LkBYC

Thanks for the comments Jeff.
We too were a bit disapointed that people who turned up in the past didnt turn up this year. Hopefully next time and feel free to let them know what they missed.

The 18's have been great for our club as much as people sling off at them on the whole they are a pretty good group of guys.

Again thanks for your support of our club/regattas.

"Sixth Element"
1782 MK2 w/spinnaker.
Lake Bonney Y.C.
National Sec. / S.A President / S.A Measurer / Commodore LBYC
Re: LBYC Opening [Re: Mark_Pfennig] #265881
10/09/13 06:02 AM
10/09/13 06:02 AM
Henley S.C, Adelaide, S.A.
R
Rob G. Offline
stranger
Rob G.  Offline
stranger
R

Henley S.C, Adelaide, S.A.
Mossies and 18 footers - 2 of my favourite boats in place, with breeze and flat water. Wish I could have been there!

Rob Gilchrist
Hagar 1714
Henley S.C.
Adelaide
Re: LBYC Opening [Re: Mark_Pfennig] #265950
10/10/13 06:59 AM
10/10/13 06:59 AM
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Here's a vid of all four races, I've tried to show all the boats including young Luitjes who beat his old man on yardstick and handicap
http://youtu.be/0Gztrn7J1LM

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 429 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022