samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Originally Posted by Bille
Originally Posted by hobie1616

Chumlee has a permanent case of the Red butt. He's a chicken hawk who never wore the uniform and thinks having a big arsenal at home makes him a tough guy. He also has no sense of humor.

Here's a story Ya might ponder for a few :

Started hunting the bobwhite quail with a double barrel Remington at age 10 ; that
was in Southern Maryland. By age 13, I asked my Dad if I quit hunting them, would
I be considered a wimp ?
Obviously, he asked Why ; to which i replied : " there's No sport in hunting something that has
absolutely (O) chance of escape", basically, once i took aim the Lil birdie was Dead.

Ya starting to get it ?

SO -- Where is the sport in picking on someone Ya know might be a bit sensitive ;
Especially
since you know his sense of humor was taken away a Long time ago ?

Personally, i think you would have a Lot more fun trying to pick on me instead !
If you can get me to blow-up, I'll drink a pint or two of JD with Ya ; then start all over
again but now, I'm a bit smarter for it !! That's what rednecks like me do, (St. Mary's county).

If Ya don't get it by now, then your fricken stupid, and I won't have any Fun with you !!
Your Not Stupid are Ya ? (smile)-----------------the JD is awaiting

I'm going to repack my reserve and go jump off a 3,500ft mt
with a Rigid-wing Hang glider this weekend ; since sailing
is out, because Mohave is closed.

Bille

Bille,

Sitting here in good 'ol St. Mary's county, seems they let the Gov's back on the base so I could make it to my office. Fortunately they never closed the Chesapeake so we got some excellent sailing in, and am looking forward to more this weekend.

Unfortunately I don't have time tonight to grab a beer with you (and I think we're down to the Tides, Green Door and Ruddy Duck?), maybe next week, thank you for your service to this country, enjoy the hang gliding!

Last edited by samc99us; 10/10/13 12:42 PM.

Scorpion F18
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266025
10/10/13 02:37 PM
10/10/13 02:37 PM
B
Bille Offline OP
Bille  Offline OP
B

I miss that place, Vegas is like culture-shock in comparison.
Was doing my hunting 20 miles North of Pax-river Navel air station
and learned to sail from the commander of that base in the
late 60's. Taught sailing in Piney Point at the Harry Lundeberg School

I bet it's all super populated now , then when i was there ?
I'll have a beer for Ya tonight !

Bille

OOPS -- the guy that taught me to sail was NOT the base commander, he
was a commander , and chief of staff of the Naval-base at Pax-river.

Last edited by Bille; 10/10/13 07:14 PM.
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266095
10/11/13 12:20 PM
10/11/13 12:20 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
J
jkkartz1 Offline
addict
jkkartz1  Offline
addict
J

Punta Gorda, FL
My thoughts.

I will use the words "us" and "we" as terms for our society as a whole.

First a couple of personal experiences and some editorial comment.

In the fall of 1975, as a naïve college senior 22 year old, I walked into Management 487, the "Capstone Course of the School of Business Administration at Florida Atlantic University". There sat an elegantly dressed gentleman. He went on to introduce himself as a Harvard MBA that went to school on the GI Bill and serving in the college cafeteria. He then rose from his desk and pointed to the blackboard where he had written the capital letters "M G A". He then asked us what this stood for. We all sat there scratching our heads. He the proudly proclaimed, "This is what this class is all about, Money, Greed and Avarice".

This is what is taught in business school and we reap the results.

Now we advance to after the election of 2010. My would be red neck cousin in law calls me to ask a question concerning his mother's insurance policy. Later on in the conversation he asks, "What do you think of the election"? I responded that I thought the we elected a governor (Rick Scott of Florida)that is probably a criminal. His response was, "That F****** N***** President has got to go".

Of all of the insults I can think of there isn't one as demeaning to a white man as that is to a black man.

What has this got to do with why you can't go sailing? I can only speak to what I know, Flood Insurance.

Many years ago flood coverage was a covered peril under most property insurance policies. After some severe floods, the insurance companies realized that they could not estimate the risk to price it and that it was more trouble than it was worth. After some years past and several economic devastating flood occurrences we decided that the only way to protect our fellow citizens from this pain was to pass the National Flood Insurance Program legislation.

It was not without faults, It has gone broke several times and several attempts have been made to strengthen the program. We loudly complained as we refunded the program pay the claims. The last straw was when Katrina flooded New Orleans and the program went broke again and then legislation expired. After a several month lapse in the program we passed a new law that required actuarial sound rates so that we did not have to fund the claims after the fact.

In the past month, my brother in law was looking a buying a weekend retreat house located in a flood zone. He got the quote under the new rates yesterday and is withdrawing his purchase offer.

The State of Mississippi, hardly a bastion of liberalism is challenging the new law that the rates are unfair and will thwart economic activity. Our self proclaimed Tea Party governor is joining in the suit as a friend of the court.

Yesterday said governor criticized our president for a "lack of leadership" for not leading the fight against a policy that forced a program that has attempted to reduce it feeding at the federal trough.

Where does fiscal conservatism begin?

To MN3:

Which "idiot president" do you refer to?

I'm going to put you in the same column as my cousin in law. You carry a lot of hate.

Yes, I laughed at the "Some village in Texas has lost its idiot" cartoon, but I never related him to an ape, which we have evolved from. If our president had curly, red hair and was of Irish heritage named Barry O'Brien would you still call him an idiot?

So let's look back at the presidents in my lifetime.

Obama-Spent his first 2 years trying to clean up an economic and military disaster. Since then he has tried to level the playing field for most of us. Is he a Muslum?
It doesn't matter. As I remember the day before Money, Greed and Avarice Day is a holiday that was started by a group of people that came to this country to escape religious persecution.

W-He's not an idiot, he start an unneeded war that was only paid for by special legislation out of the budget process and cost too much blood and treasure. Medicare Part D was a good idea, again unfunded.

Clinton-I would not let my daughters in a room alone with him. But he ran a fairly successful economy and we survived to live another day.

Bush the Senior-A good man that had the restraint to know when to stop, whether Iraq or paying for our debts through a tax increase. I was again laid off from what I thought was a lifetime job.

Reagan-I was laid off from what I thought would be a lifetime job. He got lucky and was in the right place at the right time.

Carter-The most humane president we will probably ever see.

Nixon-Good, opened relations with China, ended the draft and my $100 income tax refund. Ya'all know the bad.

Johnson-More mixture of good and bad.

Kennedy-A life cut short by hate

Eisenhower-Remember the warning of the military industrial complex.

Random thoughts

Ya don't like the auto bailout, then buy a Ford.

Don't like TARP, then use a bank that didn't take any money.

Did you buy a Kia or a Hyundai? Do you think that they have an unfair advantage as they do not pay sufficient taxes to pay us back for their defense?

The guy at Home Despot did not understand when I asked if they had a brand of plywood besides Weyerhaeuser. I prefer my money not go to the Koch brothers.

And finally, I know that Larry spends plenty of money on lobbying, but I'm sure glad that his hobby is sailing and not trying to squeeze every last cent out of the rest of us.

Last edited by jkkartz1; 10/11/13 12:22 PM.
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266096
10/11/13 12:52 PM
10/11/13 12:52 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Don't forget to credit Clinton for signing the repeal of Glass-Steagall. Much of the economic activity that followed was a stampede of lemmings over a cliff.

Last edited by pgp; 10/11/13 12:53 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266100
10/11/13 01:23 PM
10/11/13 01:23 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
And there's the race card. Amazing we made it 7 pages before it got thrown out, although I was tempted to throw one on Jdub for his critique of Thomas Sowell but just as the one above it would have been all for show and basically pointless, factually.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #266104
10/11/13 02:27 PM
10/11/13 02:27 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This might put your lake closure in perspective.

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: hobie1616] #266114
10/11/13 03:21 PM
10/11/13 03:21 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
speaking of race cards, is there any racing going on this weekend?

Jay

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266152
10/12/13 12:50 PM
10/12/13 12:50 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Can anyone tell me who said this?

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. Over the past 5 years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is ‘‘trillion’’ with a ‘‘T.’’ That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next 5 years, between now and 2011, the President’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion......

Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘‘the buck stops here.’’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.

Senator Barrack Obama 3/16/2006

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 10/12/13 12:52 PM.
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Ventucky Red] #266153
10/12/13 01:16 PM
10/12/13 01:16 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's always interesting to watch someone on the outside make statements going one direction and then, when thrown into the deep end of the pool and overwhelmed with reality, go in a completely different direction. And, the financial and military mess Bush left behind certainly didn't help a new president with some breathing room to transition into office.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: hobie1616] #266166
10/13/13 05:24 AM
10/13/13 05:24 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
J
jkkartz1 Offline
addict
jkkartz1  Offline
addict
J

Punta Gorda, FL
Originally Posted by hobie1616
This might put your lake closure in perspective.

[Linked Image]

Is that cowboy on leased Federal land?
Just a little background.

www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS21232.pdf

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266191
10/14/13 01:40 AM
10/14/13 01:40 AM
Victoria, Australia
C2 Mike Offline
enthusiast
C2 Mike  Offline
enthusiast

Victoria, Australia
My outlaws just head off for what is supposed to be a trip of a lifetime to USA. Looks like 1/2 the attractions will be shut coz USA govco can't get it's **** together. Just trying to get my head around what's not actually working for the people who live there and depend on the services in day to day life.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266201
10/14/13 08:11 AM
10/14/13 08:11 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Its complete anarchy. Properties burning, no police, looting, food is running short, most of the gas stations are out of fuel, just this morning I ran out of toilet paper.

Not true, and I'm kidding. 99% of the population wouldn't even notice if it weren't on the news constantly.

I'm boatless.
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #266206
10/14/13 09:33 AM
10/14/13 09:33 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Its complete anarchy. Properties burning, no police, looting, food is running short, most of the gas stations are out of fuel, just this morning I ran out of toilet paper.

Not true, and I'm kidding. 99% of the population wouldn't even notice if it weren't on the news constantly.

More of the population than that is furloughed as a result of the shut down....more people notice.

Jake Kohl
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Jake] #266208
10/14/13 09:42 AM
10/14/13 09:42 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Did I hear correctly that they moved to provide back-pay for those furloughed workers?

So it's like a paid vacation?

Jay

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #266212
10/14/13 09:54 AM
10/14/13 09:54 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

(according to some congressman i saw on the news the other day) no federal employee has EVER not been paid in full during a furlough.

So we pay for them not to work, then when they go back ... we pay them again to do the same job, and now this has pushed back other work ... so it hurts us (the taxpayer) 3x

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Did I hear correctly that they moved to provide back-pay for those furloughed workers?

So it's like a paid vacation?

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Jake] #266232
10/14/13 11:41 AM
10/14/13 11:41 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by Jake

More of the population than that is furloughed as a result of the shut down....more people notice.

800,000 people on furlough? That's .002% by my math if there's 360 million people in the U.S.

I'm boatless.
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #266257
10/14/13 06:47 PM
10/14/13 06:47 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Its complete anarchy. Properties burning, no police, looting, food is running short, most of the gas stations are out of fuel

Karl,

When did you move to Chicago?

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #266275
10/15/13 10:20 AM
10/15/13 10:20 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Dont forget the furloughed employees can and are collecting unemployment and will get their back pay. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me, none of the NASA employees I know are worried about being on the bench.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: David Ingram] #266278
10/15/13 11:40 AM
10/15/13 11:40 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Dont forget the furloughed employees can and are collecting unemployment and will get their back pay. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me, none of the NASA employees I know are worried about being on the bench.

They don't get to have their cake and eat it, too - they have to repay their unemployment if they get back pay.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: mbounds] #266282
10/15/13 12:48 PM
10/15/13 12:48 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by mbounds
They don't get to have their cake and eat it, too - they have to repay their unemployment if they get back pay.

How do you audit that?

Jay

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 435 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022