10/14/13 08:38 PM
10/14/13 08:38 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline OP
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline OP
old hand

Although this is the 10th anniversary for the Endurance Series, attendance for distance races has been down for quite some time and as a result we had three races cancelled this year alone. I am working on putting a plan in place to try and revive distance racing and bring a little more stability to the some of the lesser attended events. The main reason Hiram's Haul and The Islander Reef Run have been cancelled was because of insurance. A certain number of participants are needed to just cover the insurance cost for that event. If not the event loses money and there is no way to recoup that loss.

Initially the Endurance Series plan was to use existing events and function mainly as score keeper and help with promotion. I did not want to interfere with the running of the events. Now I am placed in a position where I either need to step up and get involved with some of the events or hope things improve. I have participated in all of these events in the past and I hate seeing these great events disappear so I am going to try and step up to the plate.

The first step is to get a policy in place for next year under "Sail Series" to cover the events that don't have insurance in place. Having our own policy will help spread the cost of the policy over more than one event. Warren Green and Chuck Bargeron are going to help me find the best solution.

The second step is to build a small team to run the Reef Run, Hiram's Haul and possibly a new event. They will also help at other events as needed. So far we have verbal commitments from Warren Green, myself and I have one other person with a marketing/PR background who will help where needed. Warren is a trained and certified "Principal Race Officer" (PRO) and has run events by himself. Without his help, there would be a huge void.

The third step is to put together a schedule. My goal is to announce the schedule at the Steeplechase but not later than January 1st. There should not be any major changes, just trying to bring back cancelled events and probably add a new event.

The fourth step is to try and make the event logistics easier for participants. Having a shuttling system for participants and gear can help at some of the events. Boat/trailer storage is another area that needs to be looked into on a per event basis especially if there are more than one event in close time proximity.

Sail Series will more or less function like a sanctioning organization for the Endurance Series and any other events or series that might need help. The long term goal initially was to have three series; Endurance Series, Buoy Series and Xtreme Series. But between 911 and the latest economy downturn, it has been a struggle to just keep the Endurance Series alive.

On a related event, I talked to Chuck Bargeron today asking the status of the Tybee 500. He did not commit but he stated that if there is enough interest, he would possibly consider bringing back the Tybee 500 in 2015. I know there was a thread earlier this year begging to have the Tybee back, now is your time to voice your opinion. If anyone is interested in racing the Tybee 500 in 2015, please let me know. Without enough interest, it won't happen.

I was lucky enough to work with Chuck in the 2010 Tybee 500. He asked for me to keep him up to date and I will be bouncing ideas off of both he and Warren to try and revive endurance sailing. If you are interested in helping with Sail Series or interested in racing the Endurance Series, let me know.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266262
10/14/13 09:11 PM
10/14/13 09:11 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Craig,

Thank you for stepping up!! We apologize that we don't participate in the endurance series events, most of them are in the New England summer series or coincide with local racing-it is hard to justify a 1000 mile haul in more than once a year. This year Hiram's Haul coincides with the last weekend of F18 Nationals. I know there are always scheduling conflicts, but I suspect most of the top sailors on Florida will be in Sarasota that weekend. We do intend to race Steeplechase if our boat gets back in time.

We will be on the Tybee start line in 2015 if the event happens.

Last edited by samc99us; 10/14/13 09:14 PM.

Scorpion F18
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: samc99us] #266263
10/14/13 09:23 PM
10/14/13 09:23 PM
cyberspeed Offline OP
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline OP
old hand

No apology needed. It is a huge commitment to make even one race down here each year. If you look at my earlier thread, Hiram's Haul was cancelled. I will pass your interest in the Tybee to Chuck and look forward to seeing you at the Steeplechase.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266274
10/15/13 09:44 AM
10/15/13 09:44 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by cyberspeed
No apology needed. It is a huge commitment to make even one race down here each year. If you look at my earlier thread, Hiram's Haul was cancelled. I will pass your interest in the Tybee to Chuck and look forward to seeing you at the Steeplechase.

Hiram's Haul is NOT cancelled! Scott may have bailed but the event is still going to happen.

Okay Mr. Back looks like you have the green light to do what you were talking about at WildCat. I cannot make the last weekend of October or the first weekend of November. If you and blondie are afraid of getting smoked by an old fat man then those two weekends are your best bet to avoid the pain.

We will need permission to leave the boats at the park at Sebastian Saturday night or we could just squat. Maybe we could take up a collection to offset the fuel costs for the person kind enought to drive our clothes there and back or in your case your makeup kit.

Here's your chance to be a hero don't let me down stick boy.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266281
10/15/13 12:25 PM
10/15/13 12:25 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD

Craig, posted before I saw the other thread. Hopefully you can make it over to Sarasota next week and we can discuss 2015 Tybee with the F18 sailors who are present. I will help however I can to make this a reality, but I see the following as major hiccups:

1) Lot of guys want to do a 1,000 mile race, they've done the Tybee and want something bigger

2) F18's have A LOT on the Calendar-Nationals, World's, Catacup. Financially we need to plan well in advance for these events. I.e, for a 2015 Tybee we need to know this February the dates and plan for the event, as I likely won't sign up for 2014 Catacup, whose registration is April 1st...I can't afford to do both events within a 6 month time frame, unless I win the lottery or someone steps up as a major sponsor. This is the reality; I have no problem putting down a 2015 Tybee entry fee in 2014 IF I know that money will be refunded 3+ months out from the event if it fails to materialize. Past experience has left a bitter taste in the mouths of the N20 sailors, and some F18 guys remember those days...

Scorpion F18
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266285
10/15/13 01:02 PM
10/15/13 01:02 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

I would like to remind the readers of the 2014 Round the Island Race, which is being planned for September 12 - 14 in Fort Walton. Randy Smyth is the coordinator for this event, so competitors can look forward to drama filled weekend.

Please add the RTI to your calendar if you will. This is/was the most popular distance Race for multihulls on the northern Gulf Coast.

Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: samc99us] #266286
10/15/13 01:10 PM
10/15/13 01:10 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by samc99us

Craig, posted before I saw the other thread. Hopefully you can make it over to Sarasota next week and we can discuss 2015 Tybee with the F18 sailors who are present. I will help however I can to make this a reality, but I see the following as major hiccups:

1) Lot of guys want to do a 1,000 mile race, they've done the Tybee and want something bigger

2) F18's have A LOT on the Calendar-Nationals, World's, Catacup. Financially we need to plan well in advance for these events. I.e, for a 2015 Tybee we need to know this February the dates and plan for the event, as I likely won't sign up for 2014 Catacup, whose registration is April 1st...I can't afford to do both events within a 6 month time frame, unless I win the lottery or someone steps up as a major sponsor. This is the reality; I have no problem putting down a 2015 Tybee entry fee in 2014 IF I know that money will be refunded 3+ months out from the event if it fails to materialize. Past experience has left a bitter taste in the mouths of the N20 sailors, and some F18 guys remember those days...

The main stumbling block is: Talk is cheap, and even more so when it comes to a 1000 mile race. Everyone says they want to do it but when it comes down to signing your name on the check....crickets. Many of the F-18 guys ( lot's that used to distance race) have stated there isn't enough time to do distance events in addition to there class events( time off, travel expenses, etc.) Until that priority changes nothing else will, and I would say the class is extremely successful as it is ,so I don't anticipate a change coming anytime soon.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: catandahalf] #266293
10/15/13 01:54 PM
10/15/13 01:54 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by catandahalf
I would like to remind the readers of the 2014 Round the Island Race, which is being planned for September 12 - 14 in Fort Walton. Randy Smyth is the coordinator for this event, so competitors can look forward to drama filled weekend.

Please add the RTI to your calendar if you will. This is/was the most popular distance Race for multihulls on the northern Gulf Coast.

Awesome! Back to September... I know Sept had its issues too, but I'm doing it I'm not scared! Heck what are the chances I'll have to paddle 4 hours straight to get there by 4am the odds have to astronomical!

I apologise for replying to a sailing thread on a political discussion site, my bad boys I hope you'll forgive me.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: David Ingram] #266298
10/15/13 02:47 PM
10/15/13 02:47 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by catandahalf

Awesome! Back to September... I know Sept had its issues too, but I'm doing it I'm not scared! Heck what are the chances I'll have to paddle 4 hours straight to get there by 4am the odds have to astronomical!

I apologise for replying to a sailing thread on a political discussion site, my bad boys I hope you'll forgive me.

Dave, they're apparently planning for it to be so light that they scheduled THREE days! (I'm hoping to make a return for RTI next year myself).

Jake Kohl
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: Jake] #266300
10/15/13 02:53 PM
10/15/13 02:53 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
time to rig up that bicycle-propeller thingy

Jay

Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266302
10/15/13 02:59 PM
10/15/13 02:59 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
The RTI has always been on my list. Putting it on the schedule for next year. My Stiletto may not be the fastest but if ya'll let me start first I can toss ya'll a beer as you go by! ;-) Or water if you prefer.

C

Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #266307
10/15/13 03:35 PM
10/15/13 03:35 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

The main stumbling block is: Talk is cheap, and even more so when it comes to a 1000 mile race. Everyone says they want to do it but when it comes down to signing your name on the check....crickets. Many of the F-18 guys ( lot's that used to distance race) have stated there isn't enough time to do distance events in addition to there class events( time off, travel expenses, etc.) Until that priority changes nothing else will, and I would say the class is extremely successful as it is ,so I don't anticipate a change coming anytime soon.

Todd I hear ya, at the same time we did our fair share of distance races this year:

1) 50 mile Chesapeake Lighthouse Race (only F18, but all are welcome, it's the beginning of May out of West River)

2) Statue of Liberty Race (6 F18's), buoy race on day #2

3) New England 100 (17 or 18 F18's)

4) Annapolis to Galesville Race (well, I did it on a N20)

5) Annapolis to Oxford Race (again, only F18 but ALL are welcome for the premier bay race!)

Yes less than half those events had F18 fleets but the others were 250+ miles from the next closest F18. Talk is cheap, but I seriously suspect 90% of the "ya I'll do that" guys will do it given plenty of advance notice. Year 2? that will be a hard sell. Again, I will help get these events resurrected, just give me a shout samc99us AT gmail DOT com.

Scorpion F18
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: samc99us] #266318
10/15/13 09:37 PM
10/15/13 09:37 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

Todd I hear ya, at the same time we did our fair share of distance races this year:

1) 50 mile Chesapeake Lighthouse Race (only F18, but all are welcome, it's the beginning of May out of West River)

2) Statue of Liberty Race (6 F18's), buoy race on day #2

3) New England 100 (17 or 18 F18's)

4) Annapolis to Galesville Race (well, I did it on a N20)

5) Annapolis to Oxford Race (again, only F18 but ALL are welcome for the premier bay race!)

Yes less than half those events had F18 fleets but the others were 250+ miles from the next closest F18. Talk is cheap, but I seriously suspect 90% of the "ya I'll do that" guys will do it given plenty of advance notice. Year 2? that will be a hard sell. Again, I will help get these events resurrected, just give me a shout samc99us AT gmail DOT com.

And they are all 1 or 2 day events not 1 week or 2 week events that require another week of prep time.
No organizer wants to put on an event for one year. The OBX 500 is a perfect example. 7 boats the first year and one registered for the second.Not sustainable.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #266319
10/15/13 10:32 PM
10/15/13 10:32 PM
cyberspeed Offline OP
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline OP
old hand

Well, I know for a fact that Chuck isn't going to "test the waters" by starting off with a 1000 mile race but he also mentioned it probably would not initially return as a yearly event and I am sure if enough interest is present, it could be possible to do the 1000 miler two years after the 500. BUT there would have to be a lot of solid interest.

I don't know when Chuck would open registration but the year he cancelled it all entries were returned. samc99us and Dick MacDonnald gave verbals, any of you other guys going to throw your hat into the ring? Jake and Team Cat Fever, does it go without saying? Ding, I think you need to check it off your list. Jay, wife let you out the house for that one?

The RTI is a great event. I have attempted it once (expensive t-shirt) and would like to finish it one day but I like to keep the Endurance Series races strictly beachcat only (22' and under) races. In the beginning, the Miami-Key Largo and Mug Cup races were part of the series but it wasn't a good fit for various reasons. Things could change in the future but not next year.

Ding, keep me informed of your Hiram's Haul attempt. Between a week long offshore powerboat race in Key West, and a long string of car races/testing ending in a trip home (Louisiana), my dance card is pretty full for the year. I plan on being at the Steeplechase though.

samc99us, I would love to come over but my time would be better spent getting caught up on a pile of work I have on my plate. We can talk at the Steeplechase. If you could talk it up and relay any serious teams, that would be helpful.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266323
10/16/13 06:49 AM
10/16/13 06:49 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Class and buoy racing is great, but distance racing is also fun, and somewhat critical to success. The press and story telling after the distance races, especially the 500+ milers, seem to resonate throughout all classes after these events.

So, what's the appetite for biannual 500s? Or, a major coastal distance race every two years, alternating between 500 and 1000 mile editions?

Mike

Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266324
10/16/13 07:16 AM
10/16/13 07:16 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Jake and ... does it go without saying?

It does indeed.

Jake Kohl
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266326
10/16/13 08:23 AM
10/16/13 08:23 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

Ding, keep me informed of your Hiram's Haul attempt. Between a week long offshore powerboat race in Key West, and a long string of car races/testing ending in a trip home (Louisiana), my dance card is pretty full for the year.

Hiram's Haul is a no go for sure but I heard a rumor that there may be a weekend in November when a bunch of boats will gather at Pineda Park beach and sail south to Sebastian around lunchtime and then we may decide to sail back the next day depending on our mood. To be perfectly clear this not an event, regatta, race or even an organized gathering. I've simply told Stick Boy and Blondie that we can sail south faster than they can and they don't agree. There will be no results but we will happily share the stories of the adventure with you.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266327
10/16/13 09:00 AM
10/16/13 09:00 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Jay, wife let you out the house for that one?

Steeplechase is about as far as I can handle at my current skill level (or lack thereof).

A week of pounding on an open beachcat is for the yoots

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 10/16/13 09:00 AM.

Jay

Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: David Ingram] #266329
10/16/13 10:10 AM
10/16/13 10:10 AM
cyberspeed Offline OP
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline OP
old hand

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Hiram's Haul is a no go for sure but I heard a rumor that there may be a weekend in November when a bunch of boats will gather at Pineda Park beach and sail south to Sebastian around lunchtime and then we may decide to sail back the next day depending on our mood. To be perfectly clear this not an event, regatta, race or even an organized gathering. I've simply told Stick Boy and Blondie that we can sail south faster than they can and they don't agree. There will be no results but we will happily share the stories of the adventure with you.

Sounds like a fun time. Keep us posted on the date and who was able to make it Hiram's the fastest.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: State of the "Endurance Series" [Re: cyberspeed] #266330
10/16/13 01:02 PM
10/16/13 01:02 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Well, I know for a fact that Chuck isn't going to "test the waters" by starting off with a 1000 mile race but he also mentioned it probably would not initially return as a yearly event and I am sure if enough interest is present, it could be possible to do the 1000 miler two years after the 500. BUT there would have to be a lot of solid interest.

I don't know when Chuck would open registration but the year he cancelled it all entries were returned. samc99us and Dick MacDonnald gave verbals, any of you other guys going to throw your hat into the ring? Jake and Team Cat Fever, does it go without saying? Ding, I think you need to check it off your list. Jay, wife let you out the house for that one?

The RTI is a great event. I have attempted it once (expensive t-shirt) and would like to finish it one day but I like to keep the Endurance Series races strictly beachcat only (22' and under) races. In the beginning, the Miami-Key Largo and Mug Cup races were part of the series but it wasn't a good fit for various reasons. Things could change in the future but not next year.

Ding, keep me informed of your Hiram's Haul attempt. Between a week long offshore powerboat race in Key West, and a long string of car races/testing ending in a trip home (Louisiana), my dance card is pretty full for the year. I plan on being at the Steeplechase though.

samc99us, I would love to come over but my time would be better spent getting caught up on a pile of work I have on my plate. We can talk at the Steeplechase. If you could talk it up and relay any serious teams, that would be helpful.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

A week of prep is nothing for most of these teams now Todd, we're stacking and racking boats in enclosed trailers, shipping them in containers etc., all prepped months in advance. Honestly Tybee planning was painless compared with all this, but we did have an absolute rock star handling logistics, and a team that's done it all before.

An every 2 year event is certainly more sustainable. I can drum up interest, and send you a list of emails to hit when registration opens.

Last edited by samc99us; 10/16/13 01:03 PM.

Scorpion F18
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 446 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022