Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: tback] #266449
10/23/13 08:54 PM
10/23/13 08:54 PM
lesburn1 Offline
lesburn1  Offline

In the past you could have a winner (non-national) and a national champ who came in 2nd or 3rd (scored highest "national") but was a national.
I'm not sure how it would work for an "Americas" IE "the New World" event.

lesburn1.blogspot.com

A-Cat USA 49
18Sq 49

member- Royal Society for Making Cool Stuff
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266450
10/23/13 10:39 PM
10/23/13 10:39 PM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

Fun day on the water today. They kept us inside for another round of W/L courses but added a 90 degree reaching leg from the gate to the finish.

We had great breeze15-18, big puffs, and a few shifts to keep it interesting.

A big shuffle in the standings? Results
Here - http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=6320&show_crew=1

In the coed fleet, Sandra/Alex had a tough day with a DNF, but are closely followed by Annie/Eric.

Sarah and Rob are also hanging in there.

Karl/Beth had a rear beam pull out but Ahpc jumped in and will have them back on the water tomorrow (way to go Jill and Robbie!)

Laura and Ding are sailing well with consistent finishes and no swimming

Katie and I had a couple of huge stuffs on race 3 that sent her up to inspect the snuffer. However we retired before race 4 because of loose rudder/gudgeon/plate issues. We are all repaired and will be back out tomorrow.

That's it for today

Mike

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266453
10/24/13 06:48 AM
10/24/13 06:48 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Can't wait to see the video. They've been great so far.

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: ThunderMuffin] #266454
10/24/13 07:33 AM
10/24/13 07:33 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Undecided
Can't wait to see the video. They've been great so far.

+1

so refreshing to read about sailing on this site.

Jay

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: tback] #266455
10/24/13 09:08 AM
10/24/13 09:08 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Originally Posted by tback
This is the F18 America's ... right? Like North and South America?

Was wondering how this team got an exemption:
Gunnar Larsen
Ferdinand van West
Den Haag, Zuid Holland
Watersport verbond

Maybe the F18 rules should be changed so that every championship is Open?
In Europe it is normal (and encouraged!) that foreign sailors compete at each other's Nationals.
This year we had Germans, Brits, French, Belgians, the more the merrier. smile

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266458
10/24/13 09:53 AM
10/24/13 09:53 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
From Rick Bliss:........... Fantastic day on the water yesterday at the F-18 Championships is Sarasota, FL. The race committee is doing a great job of getting races off. The strong winds depleted the fleet by the end of the day. I was on a fast power boat with the photographers so we were racing from one mark to the next and Capt Randy was positioning the boat for close in action shots. Flips and stuffs and people flying through the air. A few minor fender benders. A few ripped sails, broken tillers, exhausted crews and a couple of people separated from their boats. The safety boats were kept busy. They tell me there are great videos of the action on Sailing Anarchy. I haven't had time to check. Been too busy. I've extended my stay down here twice. Cold and wind today.

The New England teams are doing very well. Mike and Tripp took a first in one race but almost blew it when they came through the gate and reached off toward the finish line. They stuffed the bows, recovered, tea-bagged, recovered, stuffed again and Mike steered from behind the beam. The second place boat quickly closed the gap but Mike held them off. Following that boat after boat stuffed on the tight reach and a few unlucky ones pitchpoled. Super viewing for us!

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266462
10/24/13 09:02 PM
10/24/13 09:02 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
From Rick Bliss:...........Today the racing started with 16-18 kts of wind out of a heading of 30 degrees. I'm approximating the wind speed. It was pretty cold on the ride out to the weather mark. I was assisting there because the photographers were going up in a helicopter. A windward leeward course through a gate then windward and back through the gate witha reach to the finish. The finish line boat was now a big catamaran since the racers had hit the previous yacht twice and the owner probably had had enough. Blair Toland's teammate Mark Herrendeen was slightly dazed when we reached him the day before after their daggerboard struck the swim platform when a competitor didn't give them room. They were back sailing with a new spinnaker pole today.

It seemed that tacking up the middle of the course was the way to go most of the day. Banging the corners proved disasterous to some top teams and their many followers. The weather mark was a great to watch the race. At times we had so much action you couldn't keep track of everything. Boats coming in on port weaving through multiple boats that were screaming in on starboard. Everyone flying around the mark and reaching off toward the offset mark sometimes three and four boats abreast. All prepping to raise their spinnakers seconds later, some raising them before the offset mark and almost capsizing or struggling hard to make the mark. The rest turning down slightly and blowing passed or being passed depending on how good they were at getting the spiinaker up and sheeted. As the day went on the sightseers got more numerous. One poor team had to round a slew of powerboats when his mainsheet wouldn't release and he couldn't turn downwind.

We had a few more instances today where people got separated from their boats and had to be scooped up by safety boats. Yesterday one of the young lady skippers had to swim to another capsized boat when her boat couldn't get righted and the safety boats were dealing with 7 capsized boats at one time. I thought I was on a fast boat until I saw one of the safety boats blazing across the water like what you see on TV with the hydrofoil racers. Okay so I exaggerate but when the driver saw the body in the water and the teammate not able to get back to him he ripped down the course later saying something about 65 mph. It was what they call a flats boat and it carried a 300hp outboard.

I was at the weather mark not the finish and things do change often on the spinnaker run so I can't give all the results but I believe Gunnar Larsen, Mike Easton, Todd Riccardi, Taylor Reiss, Cruz Smith and Bob Merrick all appeared to have a pretty good day. Lots of women competing in this event.

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: Tony_F18] #266465
10/25/13 07:24 AM
10/25/13 07:24 AM
Boston, Ma
J
Jeff.Dusek Offline
addict
Jeff.Dusek  Offline
addict
J

Boston, Ma
Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Originally Posted by tback
This is the F18 America's ... right? Like North and South America?

Was wondering how this team got an exemption:
Gunnar Larsen
Ferdinand van West
Den Haag, Zuid Holland
Watersport verbond

Maybe the F18 rules should be changed so that every championship is Open?
In Europe it is normal (and encouraged!) that foreign sailors compete at each other's Nationals.
This year we had Germans, Brits, French, Belgians, the more the merrier. smile

This event is open. Top finisher will win the Americas Championship, top US boat will be US National Champion. Pretty sure Europeans is open as well.

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753
Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266467
10/25/13 08:29 AM
10/25/13 08:29 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
From Rick Bliss:...........Winds today are predicted to be a little lighter. It's blowing pretty good already at 8:30am. Chilly right now as they're setting up their boats but clear skies and sunny so the temp should be up around 80. The racing will be on the ocean rather than in the bay so everyone has to go through the drawbridge. The plan is to have two long openings of the bridge and hope all the boats get through in two groups before any emergency crops up where the fire dept or police need to get across the channel. Yesterday a large number of boats were late leaving the beach (very crowded at the launch area and all it takes is one slow poke in front to hold up the rest). The race committee delayed the first start. The wind and tide will push the boats down the channel to the bridge but it's going to be tough coming back in with the wind on the nose. Things are percolating around here now. Have to head out.

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: hobiephil] #266487
10/25/13 03:42 PM
10/25/13 03:42 PM
R
Reiss Offline
Reiss  Offline
R

Fantastic reporting, and greatly appreciated by those of us who are not able to be there. Thank you!!!!

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266488
10/25/13 04:19 PM
10/25/13 04:19 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Great video from Wednesday!

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266494
10/25/13 08:23 PM
10/25/13 08:23 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
From Rick Bliss:...........A perfect day for racing. 11-13.5 kts with light chop. A windward leward course, twice around with a downwind finish. The drawbridge was raised twice to allow the mob of cats to get out into the ocean. A well set course was in place early and the races got off on time. In one race Gunnar Larsen thought he was going to sneak in on port tack at the weather mark but the young kids are ruthless. PROTEST!! He ended up doing turns before the offset mark and even as fast as he did it he lost maybe 6 positions. I have it on video and at some point will figure out how to transfer it from my iPhone. Gunnar later pinned Mike Easton on the downwind leg and made him do turns dropping him from first to third in that race. The hot team for the day was Taylor Reiss and Matthew Whitehead. They had two firsts and two other good races. Standings right now are Mike Easton and Tripp Burd 1st, Gunnar Larsen and Fergie van West 2nd and Taylor Reiss and Matthew Whitehead 3rd. We again had four boats side by side at one point rounding the weather mark with the outside boats bearing down on our anchored boat at 15 kts. We also observed a Canadian boat flip and lose one of their crew just after raising their spinnaker and just as all the trailing boats were hoisting their spins, blasting by to one side or the other of them. Fortunately a power boat got there quickly to scoop him up and zip him back to his overturned boat . Very few flips today but we did have some. The sailors got in four great races so only two to go tomorrow. A Halloween costume party is going on right now and the food is starting to be served so this is all I have. One last comment. Jim Zellmer has done a heck of a job coaching the junior sailors down here at at the Sarasota Sailing Squardron.

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266500
10/26/13 07:41 AM
10/26/13 07:41 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
http://vimeo.com/77828733

Sam Greenfield is doing magnificent work, and I could kiss him for putting sailing to Two Steps from Hell music.

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266504
10/26/13 05:44 PM
10/26/13 05:44 PM
Boston, Ma
J
Jeff.Dusek Offline
addict
Jeff.Dusek  Offline
addict
J

Boston, Ma
It's all over. Mike Easton and Tripp Burd are the 2013 Americas and US National Champions!!

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753
Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266528
10/28/13 09:00 AM
10/28/13 09:00 AM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

Wow, what a great regatta! We had breeze on, and we had light air. We raced inside the bay with chop and current, and we raced off shore with waves. We raced in full wetsuits and board shorts. It was 5 days of sailing in all conditions. The only constant was that the Sarasota Sailing Squadron amazed us all with fantastic RC work, and onshore hospitality. What an excellent job by everyone involved!

The only downside to the week was that we stayed out on Longboat Key, and the publix liquor store could not keep up with our households Mt Gay consumption. They ran out by Friday. Next time, Ding and I will have to call and give them a heads up that we are coming to town...

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: mikekrantz] #266529
10/28/13 09:52 AM
10/28/13 09:52 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by mikekrantz
Wow, what a great regatta! We had breeze on, and we had light air. We raced inside the bay with chop and current, and we raced off shore with waves. We raced in full wetsuits and board shorts. It was 5 days of sailing in all conditions. The only constant was that the Sarasota Sailing Squadron amazed us all with fantastic RC work, and onshore hospitality. What an excellent job by everyone involved!

The only downside to the week was that we stayed out on Longboat Key, and the publix liquor store could not keep up with our households Mt Gay consumption. They ran out by Friday. Next time, Ding and I will have to call and give them a heads up that we are coming to town...

I couldn't agree more with Mike, what an amazing regatta and if there was a negative it was that we did drink the liquor store out of Mt Gay but I guess we own that one :-).

For those that made the long trip south thank you so much for coming to our little part of the F18 world I enjoyed catching up with you guys.

Start planning for Corpus next year!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: mikekrantz] #266530
10/28/13 10:01 AM
10/28/13 10:01 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Or you could stop at the local Costco and buy it by the pallet-load.

Don't ask me how I know

Jay

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266532
10/28/13 10:08 AM
10/28/13 10:08 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Pallet-load? Nice...

Someone should let Mt. Gay know that their dollars spent on regatta support are leading to direct fulfillment (although I suspect they already know).

Mike

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: brucat] #266533
10/28/13 10:10 AM
10/28/13 10:10 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
yeah, the clerk will have to call the manager over, but as long as your credit card clears you're good.

they even offered to assist me with a pallet jack. Needless to say I got a lot of funny looks dragging it across the parking lot

Jay

Re: Buzzelli/F18 America's Trash Can [Re: David Ingram] #266537
10/28/13 03:42 PM
10/28/13 03:42 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
I suspect that hearing "that's a whole Lotta *mumblemumble* gay" is not unknown for you to hear in parking lots Jay.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 420 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022