12/02/03 06:50 PM
12/02/03 06:50 PM
Brighton, UK
grob Offline OP
addict
grob  Offline OP
addict

Brighton, UK
Does anyone associated with Texel know why this can't enter?

[Linked Image]

A Radical 8.25m (27') 2 handed racing proa
... was to have been built for next year's Round Texel Race, which is billed as "the biggest cat race in the world" and had an entry of 600 boats last year. The boat is on hold at the moment as we have been refused entry for unsecified "safety reasons". The owner and Rob have appealed. Rob will be building a 7.6 m (25') Elementarry to further test the folding beam concept and also check out a simpler building system for the Texel boat. STOP PRESS - the appeal has failed, we have been warned against "just turning up" or racing unofficially. The race boat is now on hold.

for more info see web page

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: grob] #26658
12/02/03 07:07 PM
12/02/03 07:07 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Grob,
Are ALL proas not allowed, or just this particular one? Has a proa ever been in the race before?

Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: Mary] #26659
12/02/03 07:18 PM
12/02/03 07:18 PM
Brighton, UK
grob Offline OP
addict
grob  Offline OP
addict

Brighton, UK
Mary,
I am not sure who is allowed to enter Texel, I guess that is what I am asking, this has nothing to do with me, I just found the site interesting.

I know Texel is described as the "worlds biggest cat race", but if it is only cats allowed to enter why stop it on "safety grounds".

From my experience of Texel surf, the launching of the boat could be quite an event in itself. I am sure some non beachcats have entered, launching elsewhere and sailing to the start line.

Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: grob] #26660
12/02/03 07:49 PM
12/02/03 07:49 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe it is just because they don't know what kind of handicap number to give it? If so, you would think they could let it race on an unofficial, "provisional" basis so it can start developing some statistics for a handicap rating in following years. I can see that the race committee would not know how to rate it. But safety reasons? That does not seem logical. As you said, if it cannot go out through surf, it could launch somewhere else and sail to the start line. That particular race is along a shoreline all the way and seems to be accompanied by lots of powerboats all the way around the island, so it's probably safer than most distance races. No?

Do they allow monohulls? Do they allow trimarans? Do they allow multihulls with foils?

I've never seen the Notice of Race, so I don't know if it is specifically limited to "catamarans." But if it IS limited to catamarans, it probably does not say that both hulls have to be the same length.

All people who put on distance races are increasingly going to have to deal with technological advancements by deciding whether to discriminate against the new-and-different or whether to let it be a part of the process of evolution and survival of the fittest.

Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: grob] #26661
12/04/03 10:32 PM
12/04/03 10:32 PM
BillRoberts Offline
BillRoberts  Offline

Hello Grob,
Don't let Texel entry stop you from building this boat. It will take at least one year for you to build the boat and learn to sail it well. Develope a reputation based on demonstrated speed and endurance and the Texel people will gladly welcome your entry.
A boat of this configuration is physically very difficult to sail. It is physically very demanding. To keep this boat at peak speed, the sailors are constantly in motion. You are never still. As the relative wind changes, the force in the sails changes and therefore the overturning moment and pitching moment are constantly changing. To keep this narrow boat at the proper heeling angle and fore and aft trim angle requires constant and quick movement of the skipper and crew. This thing amounts to a one hulled catamaran.
Back in the 1960's I sailed a boat one afternoon that was put together with one Shark catamaran hull and a Flying Dutchman rig/sails. The boat would go fast in spurts but sailing it fast mile after mile would be very demanding and require an athlete in condition like a marathon runner. The sailor of a boat of this type is constantly in motion using his legs to position his weight properly and using his arms to steer the boat and trim the sails all of which is constantly changing.
Don't let Texel entry stop you from building this boat. Show those Texel people how fast this boat is and how well you can sail it and they will ask you to please come sail in the Texel race.
Goos luck,
Bill

Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: grob] #26662
12/04/03 10:58 PM
12/04/03 10:58 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Grob,

I sort of question whether or not that falls into a 'catamaran' category. I'm guessing but I imagine the Texel folks want to maintain a more 'production' cat type of race (they certainly have the turnout for it year after year and don't need to go looking for more). To open up the race to experimental designs could open them up to some serious problems. Perhaps there might be interest in a different race around texel for the extreme designs such as this.

On the other hand - that looks like a terrific design and maybe Round Texel isn't the arena for it.

Jake Kohl
Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: Mary] #26663
12/05/03 10:08 AM
12/05/03 10:08 AM
BillRoberts Offline
BillRoberts  Offline

Mary,
I'm sure the entry problem of this boat has nothing to do with the number of hulls. At Texel the race organizers are very SAFETY conscious. The Dutch Navy is there with a fleet of inflatable power boats and trained persons to help those who need help, turned over boats, for the entire race.
This one hulled catamaran is going to be very very tippy. It could occupy one of the Dutch rescue boats full time during the race. Also one does not take a new concept boat or a new concept race car to a world championship race and be successful. That is fantasy land. Any new concept race machine must be proof tested first(in private) and if things work out, then go show the world how to do it better.
Bill
Bill

Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: BillRoberts] #26664
12/05/03 10:45 AM
12/05/03 10:45 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Bill,

A 'one-hulled' catamaran? Isn't that an oxymoron akin to the likes of "Microsoft Works" or "Government Organization"?

Jake

Jake Kohl
Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: Jake] #26665
12/05/03 03:17 PM
12/05/03 03:17 PM
BillRoberts Offline
BillRoberts  Offline

Jake,
The"one hulled catamaran" expression was used to point out two important characteristics of this boat configuration. 1. It appears to have a high fineness ratio hull with much righting moment and if built very lightweight, it appears to have potential to reach high speeds like a catamaran.
2, This configuration is very "tippy" unlike a catamaran. It is more like a bicycle in that it must have speed to gain stability and sail on design point. This configuration of sailboat is very difficult to sail at high speeds for more than a short burst. Too many things change too quickly for people to keep them in concert very long.
Bill

Re: Why can't it enter texel? [Re: BillRoberts] #26666
12/06/03 04:20 AM
12/06/03 04:20 AM
Brighton, UK
grob Offline OP
addict
grob  Offline OP
addict

Brighton, UK
Just wanted to reiterate that
this (boat) has nothing to do with me
it is a Rob Denning design, from his www.harryproa.com web site. He seems to be have a fair amount of experience with proas, sailing, designing and building them.

I do have a proa in my portfolio but like all my deigns it has more hulls than might be considered normal, and having no experience with proas is a long way down my list of build projects.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 208 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022