03/26/14 09:15 PM
03/26/14 09:15 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

While we're debating the ebb and flow of regatta attendance, here's something that I'd like you all to look at and comment on:

http://sailingleadership.org/wp-con...m_term=0_76b96ca003-db8707a059-273830257

One of the primary responsibilities of the US Sailing Multihull Racing Committee is related to Safety. Bert drafted some equipment recommendations, but we would like to also cover safety management, provide advice for OAs, etc.

Please take a look, and reply with any additional good ideas that you may have for emergency plans, communications, training, etc.

Also, anyone interested in serving on a subcommittee (don't get hung up on formality, we just want help), please let me know.

We'll be having a meeting in April, and this will be a major goal for the year.

Mike

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Regatta Safety [Re: brucat] #270729
03/26/14 10:19 PM
03/26/14 10:19 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Mike - We are forming a safety committee initiative in the GYA, and I am the inshore chair. The bonus is I am also serving as safety officer for the Sunfish Midwinters on PBay. We have already had two cases during the Masters portion.

An elderly lady missed a gybe, and her boat turtled. She could not reach the daggerboard BECAUSE OF HER COAST GUARD APPROVED LIFE JACKET!

John Williams and Matt Bounds were involved in my proposal to deep six the USSA prescription for Rule 40 back in '09 - '10. I have not seen that prescription enforced by a US Sailing judge since the ISAF Youth Qualifier out of ABYC in 2009.

I do not recommend that we should constrain athletes on a race course based on a nonsensical USCG requirement that places a human being in jeopardy. Tow-in surfers and kiteboarders are getting away with flotation vests because they play where the USCG would never go. Our race tracks should be just as sacred!

Other than encourage a simple rule change what else can we do to help your cause? I will send you a final copy of my regatta safety report by Monday.

Think Ahead and sail safe,
B

Re: Regatta Safety [Re: brucat] #270744
03/27/14 08:54 AM
03/27/14 08:54 AM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

How can everyone help? Thought it was clear enough above:

1. Read the attached link.

2. Reflect upon how your club/regattas/class plan and execute safety.

3. Reply here (or email/PM me if you prefer) with suggestions, questions, comments, etc.

4. Volunteer to serve on our new working committee.

Regarding the PFD issue: As you know, this is complex and highly political, with strong supporters and valid data on both sides. There has been some progress, but my understanding is that this has been on the certification side, and that the USCG regulation and associated US Sailing Rx is not directly affected. We should clarify this in our final safety guidelines (pitfalls of perceived loopholes for NORs and SIs in this area).

Mike

Re: Regatta Safety [Re: brucat] #270745
03/27/14 09:04 AM
03/27/14 09:04 AM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Zhik was not willing to pay our government $30,000.00 for each style, and color, and size.

Basically the deal is a political rip off for sailors, and I have seen NO support for the prescription.

Our US Sailing representative was appaled by a photograph taken of the winners at a USSA championship. She stated "all the sailors in the photograph had Zhiks on.

I'll leave that for now and get to the yc for a day in 18 - 25 knt winds. I will try and get a count of the good guys (Team Zhik) and the others.

Re: Regatta Safety [Re: brucat] #270747
03/27/14 09:55 AM
03/27/14 09:55 AM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

That has been, and always will be, a business decision for Zhik. The laws of our country and rules of our sport are clear. Unless/until those are changed (don't hold your breath), if Zhik chooses not to be certified, they are choosing not to be in the game. As I said, I believe that there has been some progress on the certification side.

Our focus needs to be larger than the PFD debate, as there is very little progress likely to be made on the laws/rules side, and there are so many more areas where we can have an actual positive impact.

Mike

Re: Regatta Safety [Re: brucat] #270769
03/27/14 12:38 PM
03/27/14 12:38 PM
Fl
Kaos Offline
Kaos  Offline

Fl
That document looks pretty good at addressing the overall picture.
In my experience (human nature) is the enemy. All the usual suspects, pride, hubris, arrogance, greed etc. Youth think nothing bad will ever happen and safety does not apply to them. Race committees and racers alike are guilty of all the above.
In racing we run the spectrum from no safety/chase boats to a bunch. I remember a race with an actual drowning and the folks doing the safety/chase boats were VERY pissed that they were asked to be involved and yet had no idea they were actually expected to save someone's life. Race committees tend to be thankless and last minute recruits that are extremely unprepared for the possibilities if something goes really bad.
I was also involved in a race where a crew member broke his neck when his Prindle 19 pitch poled. The chase boat had nothing to deal with that situation as well as no clue how bad his situation was, they did not know he had a broken neck.
Now these situations are not the fault of the folks who volunteered to help run the race. However, the royal "we" have done a very bad job of educating all parties of potential situations and how to deal with them. We continue to stick our heads in the sand and hope nothing bad happens.
I commend your efforts and would encourage folks to really focus on helping the "help" that volunteer to assist us in our racing fun. People can really die in these races. It is very rare, but who wants to have that situation happen to them and then have to live with those memories.
Good luck.

Re: Regatta Safety [Re: brucat] #270791
03/27/14 07:18 PM
03/27/14 07:18 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Most of the Sunfish sailors were in compliance as was expected; however, I did not patrol the international sailors. My job was to manage the two safety boats on the course, and we did have "boots and spurs" weather today with no separations. I will be filing a report after the series which will supply you and the GYA with an analysis of what is required for each discipline.

A USSA judge took control of Safety Two, and left us unprotected on the west side of the course, and that required Safety One to weave through the upwind gaggle and incoming downwinders to rescue two boats on the west side. Lesson #1 - A safety committee is what it says and has no business performing race committee duties, unless requested by the PRO. They parked comfortably at the weather mark so they could watch roundings there. I did have a discussion with the judge and asked him if he wished to continue working on the RComm as a judge or join the safety committee. He was out there just to sightsee; although they did render assistance to a vessel on the way back to the harbor:-(

Today I had three crew that could serve as jumpers. One of them was a sunfish lady who felt the conditions a bit over her limit, but she knew the sailors and could inform us of their individual traits as related to age and experience. I had plenty of spare anchors and line, Medical kit, tools, and a sleeping bag for a hypothermic situation. Water temp was 59 degrees - almost the same as the air temp. More later...

Last edited by catandahalf; 03/27/14 07:25 PM.
Re: Regatta Safety [Re: brucat] #270803
03/27/14 10:39 PM
03/27/14 10:39 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Good stuff, thanks Bert. Excellent point about having jumpers ready, the good teams wear wetsuits/dry suits as needed.

Mike

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 944 guests, and 120 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022