04/02/14 02:42 PM
04/02/14 02:42 PM
North Carolina
A
abbman Offline OP
abbman  Offline OP
A

North Carolina
I've started to repair the transoms on my 16 and replace the old style gudgeons with the newer ones. I had asked for advice on this forum and others and I appreciate everyone's advice on how to repair them. Long story short, my gudgeons failed while under sail during Ya Gotta Regatta down in Myrtle Beach. Some of the ss screws sheared off inside the starboard transom. I'm very inexperienced with fiberglass repair and was initially told to drill out the old ss screws, since they were likely seized into the aluminum plate (which they were). I didn't use the right tool for the job (a left-handed drill bit) and ended up having a really difficult time drilling out the steel. I buggered up a lot of the surrounding glass and aluminum. I also sheared off some of the screw heads on the other transom and basically doubled the work I am having to do. After looking into several options (install ports and thru-bolt, install helicoils, fill and drill, etc.) and talking with many folks about it I have decided to go the most drastic route and remove everything down to the aluminum plate and build it all back up. I just couldn't stand the thought of installing ports, especially when that area of the boat is often underwater when resting on the water and in between races. So far I have gotten the aluminum plate out of the port hull. I should be getting new aluminum plates in tomorrow. I figured I would post some pics of my progress for feedback from you guys as well as to show the anatomy of the 16 transom. I'll continue to post my progress. Wish me luck. I'm storing the photos here:

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jsautry/library/?sort=2&page=1

Feel free to tell me what you think or offer any advice.

James
1983 Hobie 16'
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: transom repair/ gudgeon replacement [Re: abbman] #271143
04/04/14 08:32 AM
04/04/14 08:32 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Wow, you're much braver than I am, I'd bring it to my dealer (who happens to be a fiberglass magician). Good luck, definitely us updated with your progress.

Mike

Re: transom repair/ gudgeon replacement [Re: abbman] #271302
04/10/14 04:39 PM
04/10/14 04:39 PM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
The repair onto the transom looks straight forward - your boat will just end up 5mm longer, but you are going to have to wrap the glass round onto the hull side - that is going to give a frickin' fairing nightmare!

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 337 guests, and 99 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022