Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by brucat
Great points Ding.
Every time I get through nasty surf I consider myself lucky.

+1. All it takes is one wave at the wrong time/angle and you lose everything you've worked for over the last few minutes... Or worse (capsize/damage)

Jay

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: waterbug_wpb] #272725
05/23/14 12:20 PM
05/23/14 12:20 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Great points Ding.
Every time I get through nasty surf I consider myself lucky.

+1. All it takes is one wave at the wrong time/angle and you lose everything you've worked for over the last few minutes... Or worse (capsize/damage)

It can definitely be interesting....made more so by trying to get through it after the start gun has gone off. Kirk Newkirk is one of the best in this regard. As I understand it, during that Jensen Beach Worrell disaster, he sailed out through the surf successfully twice. I think they broke a rudder on the last sandbar and went back to fix it...went back out and sailed the leg. Loehmeyer is also an expert and showed us his skill during the Jupiter Beach mess during a Tybee 500. We were all exploding and he just went out and sailed out of the surf, turned left, and went to Cocoa like no biggy.

Jake Kohl
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: Jake] #272728
05/23/14 01:03 PM
05/23/14 01:03 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Chris Christensen was the "Beach Godfather." I bet he shoved more catamarans into Florida surf than the others combined.

During the NACRA 5.2 Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale, Chris pushed the entire fleet out with coaching every morning until one day the surf was waist high, and he left early to get out in the breeze and escape the coming carnage.

Roy Seaman pushed off and capsized imediately in front of the Lundquist brothers...so they went over. Since Dirk and Eric broke their mast, Seaman began ripping out the top three battens to replace his he had just broken.

Right after that Fred Young closed the beach and allowed no else out. Chris won the race with half the fleet, onshore.

When Chris got in, he immediately chased down Roland for a 'session.' Chris had been a wrestler in his younger days, and it was looking bad for Roland! No USYRU judge needed.

As they were about to face it off, I ran in between them and told them to stop the yelling. "Guys, we can solve this by offering two throwouts for the regatta..." could have saved Roland an ambulance ride. It did save the regatta.

No one messed with Chris or Pauline...for that matter. That event was the final nationals under the single trap class rule. By Fall, we were breaking out with double traps.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: Jake] #272748
05/24/14 06:29 PM
05/24/14 06:29 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by samc99us
Maybe you armchair sailors should actually go out sailing.

@Tad, I sail in places beside the Chesapeake. Come talk to me after you've gotten a new boat and done Catacup. Today was much tougher than any leg in the last Tybee 500, 5'+ swells w/ confused chop on top in big breeze.

It was gusting to 27 on Saturday at Molasses Reef.
It was gusting to 25 on Sunday at the dock at the Islander according to the anemometer, with sustained 23.
It was blowing closer to 18 at the start today. Both the M20 and the F20C went off on port tack, everyone else started on starboard. No one was tacking out and hoisting a kite at any point today. It was FULL breeze on, 23 gusting 25 at Fowey Rock when the teams went past (just in case my Chesapeake Bay wind readings aren't good enough: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=fwyf1). Everyone is wiped, tomorrows forecast is for more 20+ kt condition but at close reaching angles. I expect the kites will remain in the bag until Wednesday or Thursday.

Ummmm...yeah. Remind me how many Tybee 500's you sailed in? Kid needs to learn some manners. Besides, it was only a 55 mile leg, you sailed half of it inside the reef, and there are two 65 year old dudes in this thing that aren't complaining (wait, how old is Ding again?).

You also need to remember that the only data we have is a tracker that pings every 10 minutes or so. They were showing between 6 and 7 knots of boat speed so either there was a lot of tacking going on that the pinger wasn't capturing at that resolution or something. Sorry you had a tough day, cupcake.

The "kid" told me not to read this when I got home but I did, and the "kid" was right if any of you self proclaimed badasses wanna have a pecker slinging mileage pissfest I'll be more than happy to cut the miles on my resume' in half and still probably double what you've got. The first day was a supreme asskicker, enough said. On a final note I sure hope I don't sound like this when I'm posting from home watching a race. So much misinformation from the speculation it's funny. Out and done.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #272770
05/25/14 10:16 AM
05/25/14 10:16 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by samc99us
Maybe you armchair sailors should actually go out sailing.

@Tad, I sail in places beside the Chesapeake. Come talk to me after you've gotten a new boat and done Catacup. Today was much tougher than any leg in the last Tybee 500, 5'+ swells w/ confused chop on top in big breeze.

It was gusting to 27 on Saturday at Molasses Reef.
It was gusting to 25 on Sunday at the dock at the Islander according to the anemometer, with sustained 23.
It was blowing closer to 18 at the start today. Both the M20 and the F20C went off on port tack, everyone else started on starboard. No one was tacking out and hoisting a kite at any point today. It was FULL breeze on, 23 gusting 25 at Fowey Rock when the teams went past (just in case my Chesapeake Bay wind readings aren't good enough: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=fwyf1). Everyone is wiped, tomorrows forecast is for more 20+ kt condition but at close reaching angles. I expect the kites will remain in the bag until Wednesday or Thursday.

Ummmm...yeah. Remind me how many Tybee 500's you sailed in? Kid needs to learn some manners. Besides, it was only a 55 mile leg, you sailed half of it inside the reef, and there are two 65 year old dudes in this thing that aren't complaining (wait, how old is Ding again?).

You also need to remember that the only data we have is a tracker that pings every 10 minutes or so. They were showing between 6 and 7 knots of boat speed so either there was a lot of tacking going on that the pinger wasn't capturing at that resolution or something. Sorry you had a tough day, cupcake.

The "kid" told me not to read this when I got home but I did, and the "kid" was right if any of you self proclaimed badasses wanna have a pecker slinging mileage pissfest I'll be more than happy to cut the miles on my resume' in half and still probably double what you've got. The first day was a supreme asskicker, enough said. On a final note I sure hope I don't sound like this when I'm posting from home watching a race. So much misinformation from the speculation it's funny. Out and done.

It probably would have gone better for Sam if he hadn't started with an insult to everyone that was enjoying watching and discussing the limited information we had on the race...

Jake Kohl
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: cyberspeed] #272772
05/25/14 10:53 AM
05/25/14 10:53 AM
wildtsail7 Offline
wildtsail7  Offline

Tad's comment knocking down Sam's credibility when it came to judging the wind because he sailed on the Chesapeake was before Sam's comment about armchair sailors, I'm also not sure he was directing that comment at anyone besides Tad.
I've had my disagreements with Sam in the past online, he makes some bold statements that he would never make in person. But in this case I think you all jumped down his throats prematurely and may have gone a bit too far.
It's hard with lack of tone online.
Kind of like my comment about dyneema on Facebook Jake , I think you took my informational tone as something else.
To quote the great Todd Hart (scary) from Facebook a couple weekend ago, there's no winning arguments online.

Last edited by wildtsail7; 05/25/14 11:01 AM.
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: cyberspeed] #272774
05/25/14 11:06 AM
05/25/14 11:06 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Oh jesus F'ing Christ.

You people must have grinded too much sand in the nether regions to sense a good joke when you see it. I told Sam this too on the beach when he called Jake "a retard" that my joke was as much about myself than it was about Sam considering that I grew up sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and have done more sailing on that body of water than any others combined.

Everyone needs to get the f*ck over themselves and stop trying to act like they're all insulted and pissed off at one another.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: ThunderMuffin] #272798
05/26/14 06:53 AM
05/26/14 06:53 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Undecided
Oh jesus F'ing Christ.

You people must have grinded too much sand in the nether regions to sense a good joke when you see it. I told Sam this too on the beach when he called Jake "a retard" that my joke was as much about myself than it was about Sam considering that I grew up sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and have done more sailing on that body of water than any others combined.

Everyone needs to get the f*ck over themselves and stop trying to act like they're all insulted and pissed off at one another.

nice. For the record, I saw the humor in Tad's remark.

Jake Kohl
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: cyberspeed] #272799
05/26/14 09:26 AM
05/26/14 09:26 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Well, that just illustrates the danger of posting private jokes on a public forum (I've done it too). It is amazing how easy it can be to offend people without even trying sometimes...

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: cyberspeed] #272801
05/26/14 11:49 AM
05/26/14 11:49 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
As a happy aside to this whole sad thread...

Todd can no longer hold my rum debt over my head. It has been paid... with interest :P

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: ThunderMuffin] #272803
05/26/14 12:29 PM
05/26/14 12:29 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Pretty sure Todd wants his rum... paid in full...

IF he owes you anything... well... the clock will start ticking on his payback.... .

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: ThunderMuffin] #272804
05/26/14 12:57 PM
05/26/14 12:57 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Undecided
As a happy aside to this whole sad thread...

Todd can no longer hold my rum debt over my head. It has been paid... with interest :P

The interest may need to be re-calculated with all the passing time, inflation, and such, so you may not be in the clear yet. The timing was absolutely perfect though, and it could not have been any better.It was good getting to see you for the brief time that you got to hang out, but you were supposed to have at least one rum drink from the payoff with me, excuse accepted though.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: Jake] #272810
05/27/14 08:15 AM
05/27/14 08:15 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

It probably would have gone better for Sam if he hadn't started with an insult to everyone that was enjoying watching and discussing the limited information we had on the race...

Jake, Sam is a bit of a technical super freak (I suspect) and often that group doesn't have the ability to deliver a contrary message with the same silky inoffensiveness that Mr. Schneider and I seem to have. What can I say it's a gift.

For the record I'm a Sam Carter fan he's good people, that THart guy... still a tool :-)

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: brucat] #272815
05/27/14 09:25 AM
05/27/14 09:25 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Well, that just illustrates the danger of posting private jokes on a public forum (I've done it too).
Mike

Which is why I only have one joke: What do you call a boomerang that won't come back?

Jay

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: cyberspeed] #272817
05/27/14 09:48 AM
05/27/14 09:48 AM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

%(*%^(*^^%%

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: cyberspeed] #272818
05/27/14 10:39 AM
05/27/14 10:39 AM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
Joke of the day, I was at the boat consignment store the other day talking with the owner when a family pulled in in their minivan and began looking around. After a few minutes I said, do you need to go tend to your customers? he said, those arent' customers, those are "whistling gophers". My puzzled look apparently made him expain, he said, those people are the type that say "what do those things gofur? And then I tell them the price and they whistle(like its a lot of money type of whistle)

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: David Ingram] #272819
05/27/14 10:41 AM
05/27/14 10:41 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Jake, Sam is a bit of a technical super freak (I suspect) and often that group doesn't have the ability to deliver a contrary message with the same silky inoffensiveness that Mr. Schneider and I seem to have. What can I say it's a gift.

For the record I'm a Sam Carter fan he's good people, that THart guy... still a tool :-)

An a$$hole not a tool, get it right...but he pays his debts...FAST!
Sam is 100% technical engineer, 'nuff said. He might not step out from under a falling rock, but he could tell you everything about it including it's composition,history, speed and trajectory...before it squashed him.

p.s. Ding, you're not really gonna use THAT keyboard to type on here, are ya?

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #272873
05/29/14 09:01 AM
05/29/14 09:01 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

Best part of the trip was watching Tad pay off his bet and having that payment promptly delivered to me! Best trophy EVER!

The morning of third day of the FL300 as I walked to the boat I remember thinking "this has got to be dumbest thing I've ever done and you guys have some kind of brain dysfunction." But before the KPRR weekend was out I was already making plans and closing deals for next year assuming Chuck, Warren and Craig are up for another go.

Yes Todd I plan to use this keyboard, it's fine!

Proud member of the "a$$hole on the beach" club but that Jake Domingo guy has nothing on us he takes a$$hole to an all new level.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: David Ingram] #272874
05/29/14 09:48 AM
05/29/14 09:48 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
[
The morning of third day of the FL300 as I walked to the boat I remember thinking "this has got to be dumbest thing I've ever done and you guys have some kind of brain dysfunction." But before the KPRR weekend was out I was already making plans and closing deals for next year assuming Chuck, Warren and Craig are up for another go.

Yep. Did you get that feeling at KPRR that that weekend event, on that little tiny piece of ocean, had nothing to throw at you that you couldn't handle? You caught it. I'll see you next year.

Jake Kohl
Re: Florida 300 Race Updates [Re: David Ingram] #272875
05/29/14 10:03 AM
05/29/14 10:03 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.

The morning of the third day I was thinking the same Ding, but the forecast gave me a shred of hope and it delivered .Two semi miserable days on the water followed by Two absolutely beautiful days on the water, hard to top (11 minutes faster would have topped it though).

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 736 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022