06/13/14 05:19 AM
06/13/14 05:19 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
of the thousands of mozzie pics I have its been interesting to see the vast variation of centre-board rake that exists from the various eras of the boats....

with Twice Shy about to get a new main deck I was wondering if raking the case slot would be of any advantage or just a pipe dream with no improvement of performance gain at all.

can anyone explain why some mozzies have a substantial amount of rake and others are dead square to the main deck?

confused

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: centre-board rake ........ [Re: Pirate] #273258
06/17/14 05:06 AM
06/17/14 05:06 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

There is a maximum amount of rake allowed in the building restrictions, as follows.

5.11 The leading and trailing edges of the centreboard slots shall be parallel and within 10 degrees of the perpendicular from a straight line along the tops of the main and rear beams.

There is also a maximum distance aft, measured from the bow.

5.2.5 Aft edge of centreplate case 3353 mm maximum;

To my knowledge most Mossies in the last 25 years have tried to use both of these to try to get the centreboards back as far as possible, which has allowed the mast to be raked further back which improves upwind performance in strong winds and reduces nose diving downwind in the same conditions, whilst not making the weather helm to harsh. Theory the further back your centre of lateral resistance (mostly attributable to centreboards), the further back your centre of effort in the sails can be placed whilst still being balanced.

The 4mm ply Carter boat I had in the late 90's early 00's 1111, had the centreboard cases blocked with foam top and bottom to give the maximum 10 degrees back, at the same time being as far back in the original cases (that look like yours) that had been placed in the boat (not the maximum distance aft).

I don't think there is a down side to having the centreboards back as far as possible, but there is a downside in my opinion to angling the centreboards, this effectivly increases the width of the centreboard and reduces the efficency of the foil and incresing drag, also reducing the lift as the leading edge is angled back.

So after putting new vertical centreboards into 1760, I am convinced that vertical centreboards can be used effectivly in Mosquito's in all conditions as long as the cases are as far back as allowed in the rules.

If the back edge of your centreboard cases are not as far back as allowed in the rules, I would try to angle your centreboards back to the maximum 10 degrees.

Re: centre-board rake ........ [Re: ] #273287
06/19/14 05:27 AM
06/19/14 05:27 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
thanks Gary....

exactly what I wanted to hear

grin

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 346 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022