06/26/14 08:32 AM
06/26/14 08:32 AM
D
drjay Offline OP
stranger
drjay  Offline OP
stranger
D

Hi. New to forum. Looks like the Tampa Bay forum is not really active so I'll post my question here.

I live in central Florida (Ocala). Both the gulf near Tampa and Atlantic are about a 90 minute drive.

On the Atlantic side I have choice between St. Augustine or Ormond/Daytona Beach.

Any opinions as to how the sailing compares between gulf and ocean?

I have been advised that launching near Tampa or Clearwater typically is on the "intracostal"side and there are lots of shallows whereas the Atlantic is straight into the ocean.

i will be sailing a 17 foot ARC (Supercat).

Lastly for those of you familiar with the area is it preferable to launch near St. Augustine or Ormond Beach? They both have parking on beach so Cat Trax is a go. I'm just not sure which area is more cat friendly in terms of surf conditions.

As a new sailor I do not want to deal with 4 foot surf breaks

Any opinions are appreciated.

Last edited by drjay; 06/26/14 08:33 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Ocean or Gulf ?? [Re: drjay] #273468
06/26/14 09:33 AM
06/26/14 09:33 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
St. Augustine might be difficult to find a beach front launch. I think you can day sail out of there but they have very strict rules about leaving your boat on the beach overnight (I think the wording was something like; if you leave it on the beach overnight it will be considered trash and disposed of).

Jake Kohl
Re: Ocean or Gulf ?? [Re: drjay] #273469
06/26/14 09:49 AM
06/26/14 09:49 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Originally Posted by drjay
Hi. New to forum. Looks like the Tampa Bay forum is not really active so I'll post my question here.

I live in central Florida (Ocala). Both the gulf near Tampa and Atlantic are about a 90 minute drive.

On the Atlantic side I have choice between St. Augustine or Ormond/Daytona Beach.

Any opinions as to how the sailing compares between gulf and ocean?

I have been advised that launching near Tampa or Clearwater typically is on the "intracostal"side and there are lots of shallows whereas the Atlantic is straight into the ocean.

i will be sailing a 17 foot ARC (Supercat).

Lastly for those of you familiar with the area is it preferable to launch near St. Augustine or Ormond Beach? They both have parking on beach so Cat Trax is a go. I'm just not sure which area is more cat friendly in terms of surf conditions.

As a new sailor I do not want to deal with 4 foot surf breaks

Any opinions are appreciated.

Check your PM.

Have Fun
Re: Ocean or Gulf ?? [Re: drjay] #273470
06/26/14 09:52 AM
06/26/14 09:52 AM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
Hi drjay,
I have a Supercat 20 and I am sure you will enjoy your Supercat 17. Both are good and have their benefits and draw backs.

Tampa Bay Cat Sailors has an active fleet that launches from the Dunedin Causeway. Their next race is Saturday and would be a great time to meet the locals and they can tell you about the area. Some of them sail out to some of the islands and camp out.
www.tampabaycatsailors.com

Daytona has a great fleet and they have the Gilligan's Run race coming up August 9th. It would be a good time to meet some of the local sailors.
http://fleet80.com

My personal preference is the OCEAN in South Florida. I sail out of West Palm Beach and my boat lives on Singer Island. The gulfstream is close to the coast and keeps the water warm even in the winter.

Hope this helps.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: Ocean or Gulf ?? [Re: Jake] #273471
06/26/14 10:30 AM
06/26/14 10:30 AM
D
drjay Offline OP
stranger
drjay  Offline OP
stranger
D

Originally Posted by Jake
St. Augustine might be difficult to find a beach front launch. I think you can day sail out of there but they have very strict rules about leaving your boat on the beach overnight (I think the wording was something like; if you leave it on the beach overnight it will be considered trash and disposed of).

Appreciate the reply, Jake.

Actually in St. John's county (St. Augustine) they alow you to drive on beach but not overnite.

I was thinking pay the $5 and launch from beach for a couple hour sail. I just don't know if the surf is rougher in Ormond or St. Augustine

Re: Ocean or Gulf ?? [Re: drjay] #273495
06/27/14 08:29 AM
06/27/14 08:29 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by drjay

I just don't know if the surf is rougher in Ormond or St. Augustine

Probably have to check the local surf forecasts and beach-cams for each area, as conditions likely change by the hour depending on conditions.

As a newer sailor, it would be easier to get familiar with the boat and it's habits if you started on the "Gulf" side as there may be short/steep chop, but no considerable ocean swell or surf-break.

Once you get that squared away, you should be fine in either St. Augustine or Ormond.

If I recall the SC 17 doesn't have daggarboards, so shoals/sandbars may not be a big issue for you (I believe the rudders kick up if they hit the sand)

Enjoy your boat! Any boat that gets you on the water more is the "right" boat...

Jay

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 527 guests, and 102 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022