07/01/14 03:46 AM
07/01/14 03:46 AM
D
Deric Offline OP
stranger
Deric  Offline OP
stranger
D

The trampoline on my old Mozzie needs replacing and I wondered if anyone has insight as to what makes a good and efficient tramp.

Attached Files
ds.jpg (108 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Trampoline layout [Re: Deric] #273633
07/01/14 05:23 PM
07/01/14 05:23 PM
Port Hedland
Beckit 1824 Offline
Beckit 1824  Offline

Port Hedland
Morning Deric,

I like a tight tramp that can be adjusted and tightened as it stretches. I have a Goodall one at the moment which has been great so far but it also depends on your methods of attachment.

My boat has the groove built into the inboard sides of the hulls, a aluminium bolt rope groove under the rear beam and a aluminium tube through loops in the front for tensioning. Fitting it is easy, and it is stretched taut when tightened up.

The only two modifications I did do is to really file, flare and smooth out the ends of the grooves in the hull and aluminium bolt rope track, otherwise it tends to chafe on the tramp edges as you stomp around the boat. I also flattened the aluminium tube in the front where it ran over the centre beam so you don't have a rounded edge running over a rounded edge which prevented chafing.

I bought a grey colour as it doesn't fade like the black ones tend to, and is also a lot cooler on the feet, and happily mine still looks pretty new.

Luke

Re: Trampoline layout [Re: Deric] #273634
07/01/14 07:06 PM
07/01/14 07:06 PM
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline
addict
Dazz  Offline
addict

Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Good sized tramp pocket. the two most common mistakes I see with tramp pockets is having them on the top side of the tramp. that just makes them another thing to get ropes hooked up on. and having a curved zipper opening. all too common are straight zipper opening that make it hard to pass anything of size through when the tramp is tight.

agreed grey tramps don't show the marks as easily like left over salt deposits and are not so hot to sit on a sunny day.

C2 AUS 222 by Goodall design
"Darph Bobo"
Re: Trampoline layout [Re: Deric] #273637
07/02/14 05:05 AM
07/02/14 05:05 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline
old hand
Pirate  Offline
old hand

Victoria Australia
Jurassic Karp came with a hobie style setup, the previous owner had it made and fitted as an experiment and he liked the way it worked..... I didn't like it tho, the gap between the deck and the tramp was just waiting for sheets to disappear into and I think you could easily trap an arm or foot in there if you 'dismounted' off the trap badly.
Karp will be getting a traditional style tramp when the time comes
wink

Twice Shy's tramp was not brilliant right from the go but it worked..... old, sun damaged, well worn saw a few days of having to step to the centre beam to get to the other side blush
The caravan annex track system works really well now that the tramp has been rejuvenated, I got the man to change the front sail-cloth to truck tarpaulin material and its way stronger. I also fitted 1/2inch electrical conduit across the front instead of the alloy tube.
The lacing is done under the tramp over the centre cross bar and I used venetian blind cord for this.

Shy's tramp is going to the upholsterer again for more mods, I plan to double the number of eyelets for the lacing system, the current angle of the cord reduces the amount that I can physically tighten the tramp.
I have 2 on-top pockets and they are as useless as the boobs on the bull mad
I saw a pocket system on an A-class that I like and will be adding it to Shy, basically its about the size of a 4lit ice-cream container sewn onto the bottom of the tramp and zipper on top that opens around half the 'container', the A-class owner actually had a tupperware container in his pocket and he kept his phone/wallet/and keys in it while sailing.... cool
The other pocket was for stuff that wasn't in need of keeping dry, shackle key, protest flag etc etc...

Shy and Karp both have the ability to run a jib, at this stage I'm not 100% sure I like the jib hooks sewn onto the tramp although I do see a lot of them ..... I wonder if the tramp movement could have an effect on the sail setting of the jib, perhaps others could better explain that one wink

As for color..... got any blacker ???

smirk

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

Re: Trampoline layout [Re: Pirate] #273659
07/03/14 02:48 AM
07/03/14 02:48 AM
D
Deric Offline OP
stranger
Deric  Offline OP
stranger
D

My current tramp has ally tube on all four sides, laced to deck eyes that keep popping out, no pockets, no staps; hence my quest.

On a previous boat, the rear lacing was almost Hobiesque. The lacing acted like a ladder to dig my heel into. Great for adjusting my seating position.

A mod I tried was making mesh pockets so the water would drain automatically. Hanging them off the bottom seems a perfect way to keep them out of harms way. I'll get the man to sew them in for me.

Also toyed with the idea of access from above but not quite sure how tension will affect the opening. Don't want my crew getting his foot stuck in the Mole Hole.

Can't say I like the jib cleats on the tramp either. Another Hobie 14 thing if I'm not mistaken. You've got to be spilling wind if the anchor point moves. Probably just enough to depower the jib when you need it most.

Attached Files
mole_hole_spi_snuffer.png (93 downloads)
Mole Hole (never can find an image when i need it)
Last edited by Deric; 07/03/14 02:48 AM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 474 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022