Announcements
New Discussions
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 #273732
07/06/14 06:04 PM
07/06/14 06:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 586
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline OP
addict
Dazz  Offline OP
addict

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 586
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
http://2014.f18worlds.com/galleries/practice-day.html

photos from the practice day are up, couple of god ones in there including an disappearing skipper and gashby on his tipy toes trying to see over bgoodall's head.

would appear to be a lot smaller sleet than the usual f18 worlds with a lot of the big name sailors absent.

first race was abandoned due to a large shift in breeze, racing should get under way soon.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273739
07/07/14 10:59 AM
07/07/14 10:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
N
NacramanUK Offline
journeyman
NacramanUK  Offline
journeyman
N

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
Results at the end of day one (one race sailed):

F18 Worlds results

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: NacramanUK] #273740
07/07/14 12:29 PM
07/07/14 12:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
what are conditions?


Jay

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273741
07/07/14 01:09 PM
07/07/14 01:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Two BFDs in the first race of the week. Ouch!

Mike

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273753
07/08/14 07:32 AM
07/08/14 07:32 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
N
NacramanUK Offline
journeyman
NacramanUK  Offline
journeyman
N

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
Twitter feed from the race course

F18 Worlds

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273756
07/08/14 07:50 AM
07/08/14 07:50 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
USA Youts in second place after three races! Go Taylor and Matthew!!!

How is it that we only have ONE team over there? I know the northeast guys want to be in Newport this weekend, but seeing as this is one of our biggest classes, I would have expected at least a few more teams to make the effort.

Is this no longer considered a worthy training event for the Olympic teams?

Mike

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: brucat] #273757
07/08/14 08:09 AM
07/08/14 08:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,906
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,906
Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by brucat

How is it that we only have ONE team over there? I know the northeast guys want to be in Newport this weekend, but seeing as this is one of our biggest classes, I would have expected at least a few more teams to make the effort.

Is this no longer considered a worthy training event for the Olympic teams?

Mike


Asked and answered.


David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273758
07/08/14 08:18 AM
07/08/14 08:18 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Those are the standard answers (expense and difficulty/ timing in our season), but I still would think we'd have at least a few more teams.

And, that doesn't answer the question about the Olympic teams. Or, is it just about the cash for them too?

Mike

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: brucat] #273760
07/08/14 08:49 AM
07/08/14 08:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,906
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,906
Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by brucat
Those are the standard answers (expense and difficulty/ timing in our season), but I still would think we'd have at least a few more teams.

Mike


Mike, That's like asking what color is the sky is and when told blue you respond with... no that's too obvious it has to be more complicated than that.

As for the US Olympic teams... how many have a bonafied shot at making it onto the water in 2016? Two maybe three teams? So with that 30% of the teams are there. If you still want to know why they aren't there ask them. Asking here is not going to get you an answer even remotely correct.


David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273762
07/08/14 09:02 AM
07/08/14 09:02 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,906
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,906
Clermont, FL, USA


David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273763
07/08/14 09:03 AM
07/08/14 09:03 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,430
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,430
california
The logistics for us was just too much. Price of getting a boat there and staying for the time just wasn't worth it.

We may do 2 weeks in New Caledonia instead.


Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: brucat] #273764
07/08/14 09:20 AM
07/08/14 09:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 554
Boston, Ma
J
Jeff.Dusek Offline
addict
Jeff.Dusek  Offline
addict
J

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 554
Boston, Ma
Originally Posted by brucat
USA Youts in second place after three races! Go Taylor and Matthew!!!

How is it that we only have ONE team over there? I know the northeast guys want to be in Newport this weekend, but seeing as this is one of our biggest classes, I would have expected at least a few more teams to make the effort.

Is this no longer considered a worthy training event for the Olympic teams?

Mike


Well, really two easy answers:

1. Ireland was too expensive. It's that simple. I wanted to be there, I would love to visit Ireland, but I simply can't afford it.

2. For the Olympic hopefuls, Nacra 17 Europeans are this week, so if you're going to travel to Europe you would be there. Whoever decided scheduling those on top of each other is a complete fuckwit.


USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753
Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273765
07/08/14 09:49 AM
07/08/14 09:49 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Gotcha. Thanks, see you in Newport!

Mike

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273766
07/08/14 09:52 AM
07/08/14 09:52 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Taylor and Matthew have slipped to third overall after the fourth race. But, they got a bullet in Race 3!

Mike

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273767
07/08/14 10:29 AM
07/08/14 10:29 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Four races in today, Taylor and Matthew hanging tough, still in third, one point behind Ashby...

Homepage says jury and repair-folk will be busy this evening...

Mike

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Jeff.Dusek] #273768
07/08/14 11:16 AM
07/08/14 11:16 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,116
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,116
Annapolis, MD
Re Scheduling

First of all... ISAF does not give a damn what the rest of the cat sailing scene is doing... So... they take the position.. These are our gold cup events and we get our gold cup clubs to run the schedule we want... That leaves the classes to fit Class events into that schedule if they want... So.. they then have to find a club that will host on this schedule, has enough space and a large enough body of water etc etc not to mention Nacra's ability to support the N17 stand alone event and the proximity of the international fleet to get a decent turnout.. Given all the moving parts... I bet that they choose to not worry about the F18 event.

I bet a dollar that the F18 worlds were scheduled well ahead of the N17s... but the fact is that you have just a few slots in the summer season to run class championships.... and of course you want wind...

Bottom line... there is no idiot who scheduled the events on top of one another... it's just life... There are not enough summer weeks for F18 Worlds, F16 Words, Viper champs and the N17 euros to live with the ISAF Gold Cup events.


crac.sailregattas.com
Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273770
07/08/14 11:56 AM
07/08/14 11:56 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 115
F
F18arg Offline
member
F18arg  Offline
member
F

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 115
Mark This is no ISAF Gold Cup. This is the N17 Europeans run by the Nacra Class , of course Olympic Class, but no Multi class event.

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: Dazz] #273771
07/08/14 12:12 PM
07/08/14 12:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Looking at the preregistration list for the N17 event, there's only one US team.
So, it remains unclear what the priority is for the US Olympic hopefuls looking to race against the best in the world. Are they running a clinic at Oakcliff this week?

Mike

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: brucat] #273772
07/08/14 12:49 PM
07/08/14 12:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 490
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 490
There appears to be a few F 18 sailors that live outside the ISAF orbit, Gunnar Larson, for one. Taylor and Matthew are trading tacks with him just like in Sarasota last fall. USA stands in third place, as Mike reported, and Leondro is keeping his moves under the radar since the team is self grooming. JC and Sarah have been working on it for sure, and Robbie will play his cards well. There is a cost factor that is playing a role now as well. Ravi and Joseph Bello are the Oakcliff training winners among the youth.

I do not know for sure when their session is scheduled for.

One thing is golden though... There are quite a few teams in this quad's race for glory, and that is far different than the Lovell campaign. Patience and prayers for the USA as the depth will grow in 2015 and 2016.

My son is building up a N 17 on the beach at Pensacola Yacht Club today, in fact, for a non - Olympic sailor that prefers crossing the Atlantic in a large Benetau or Oceanis. He snagged the boat because he has not tried catamarans and only drives the best. You should see his car garage :-)

The N 17 is not just for hopeful Oly champions.

Re: F-18 Worlds Ballyholme 2014 [Re: catandahalf] #273775
07/08/14 12:55 PM
07/08/14 12:55 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
N
NacramanUK Offline
journeyman
NacramanUK  Offline
journeyman
N

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by catandahalf
There appears to be a few F 18 sailors that live outside the ISAF orbit, Gunnar Larson, for one. Taylor and Matthew are trading tacks with him just like in Sarasota last fall. USA stands in third place, as Mike reported, and Leondro is keeping his moves under the radar since the team is self grooming. JC and Sarah have been working on it for sure, and Robbie will play his cards well. There is a cost factor that is playing a role now as well. Ravi and Joseph Bello are the Oakcliff training winners among the youth.

I do not know for sure when their session is scheduled for.

One thing is golden though... There are quite a few teams in this quad's race for glory, and that is far different than the Lovell campaign. Patience and prayers for the USA as the depth will grow in 2015 and 2016.

My son is building up a N 17 on the beach at Pensacola Yacht Club today, in fact, for a non - Olympic sailor that prefers crossing the Atlantic in a large Benetau or Oceanis. He snagged the boat because he has not tried catamarans and only drives the best. You should see his car garage :-)

The N 17 is not just for hopeful Oly champions.


Nacra 17 Europeans results end of day 1.

17 European results


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 315 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bmcmurr3, sdm27, CanadaMetal, Jamil, Maistrello
8113 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,395
Posts267,034
Members8,113
Most Online1,650
Sep 10th, 2019
--Advertisement--
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1