Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline OP
addict
northsea junkie  Offline OP
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Because I have worn out several cattrax bearings (the roller wheel type) this year, I started thinking about another design with real ball bearings.
This all has to do with the fact that I have to drive a long mile through my village and I'm always in a hurry. So I tow with 40 km/h.

Anyway, using ball bearings forces you to use separate axes through the rims. Hence you need two long loading-tubes instead of one for creating a carrying construction for these axes

[Linked Image]

The trick of this design is that only one loading tube has wide rolls mounted on 18x clickroller bearings at both ends. While the other loading tube has simple rubber roll-supports which are fixed!

You maybe can see this on the photo: front tube has special rollers, backtube not.

So when you place the trax in front of your cat , you start pushing it onder the bows with the wide-rollers tube first. Pushing with your foot against the other tube will slide the trolley quite easy under your cat.
Without sliding unwillingly backwards!

For unloading the cat from the trolley, you push the cat to the front from behind. again it will roll quite controlled from the trolley.

There are two remarks: I have to fix the cat with rope to the troley (can't use cradles because of the hullshapes). But with this design you can easily change the fixed rubber supports on the backtube for cradles! Never hanging cradles again.

Second: it will cost you a few do. Special connections, converters from 50mm to 20 mm for the rimaxes. The special rollers for the 50 mm tube.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by northsea junkie; 10/27/14 03:53 PM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Changing cattrax into trolley [Re: northsea junkie] #275957
10/28/14 07:18 AM
10/28/14 07:18 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

You tow a boat on Cat Trax? How do you keep the boat balanced fore/aft?

Mike

Re: Changing cattrax into trolley [Re: northsea junkie] #275959
10/28/14 07:26 AM
10/28/14 07:26 AM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
Looks good, what are those T fittings from?

If you spent enough time in a Timken Catalog, I am sure you could find a bearing that would allow a single axle. But that would be a real headache.

What were you greasing the stock bearings with?

Last edited by bacho; 10/28/14 07:33 AM.
Re: Changing cattrax into trolley [Re: northsea junkie] #275972
10/28/14 11:54 AM
10/28/14 11:54 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
addict
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Mike, see my vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMKThlRmCGE&list=UL at about 1.5 min.

I have a fixed pole sticking out in the front (I used a loose pole fixed with rope for about 1 year, works also).
So, this is my pulling bar which hold the cat balanced.

Because my mast is sticking out far at the back, I normally have a negative pressure at my connection point from the tow. But that gives no problems with the relative low speed.

Bacho, the T-fittings (cross-connectors) for the 50mm tubes are of glassfiber-reinforced nylon (http://www.cadkat.com/Tube_connecto..._polyamide_plastic_one_side_slotted.html ) which are pressed together with one 16cm bold (8mm) through and through.
The crossconnectors for the 50mm tube to the 20mm aluminium axes (hollow, 5mm thick wall) are from aluminium and work with built-in clamps.

See http://www.buisklemmen.nl/aluminium/kd-50x25.html

The problems which I had with the rollerbearings of my old cattrax had not so much to do with greasing. The Eurotrax rollerbearing is dimensioned with a lot of space for incoming water/sand.

The real problem are the transversely (axial) forces of the bearing rollers to the sides, to the distance bushing and wheel fixationclamps which hold the rim on his place. Eventually every part eats the other up and the whole bearing system starts to wear out critically.
When I used (on advice of the manufacturer)iron spacerdisks for that reason, one iron disk had grinded itself after a few months through the Alutube itself.

My cat fell down on the street with 40km/h!

In hindsight its always clear: a normal cattrax is not designed for road use and/or long distances. Rebuilding the trax was in my case forcefully necessary.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 10/29/14 03:20 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Changing cattrax into trolley [Re: northsea junkie] #275995
10/30/14 09:48 PM
10/30/14 09:48 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Mike, see my vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMKThlRmCGE&list=UL at about 1.5 min.

I have a fixed pole sticking out in the front (I used a loose pole fixed with rope for about 1 year, works also).
So, this is my pulling bar which hold the cat balanced.

Because my mast is sticking out far at the back, I normally have a negative pressure at my connection point from the tow. But that gives no problems with the relative low speed.

Bacho, the T-fittings (cross-connectors) for the 50mm tubes are of glassfiber-reinforced nylon (http://www.cadkat.com/Tube_connecto..._polyamide_plastic_one_side_slotted.html ) which are pressed together with one 16cm bold (8mm) through and through.
The crossconnectors for the 50mm tube to the 20mm aluminium axes (hollow, 5mm thick wall) are from aluminium and work with built-in clamps.

See http://www.buisklemmen.nl/aluminium/kd-50x25.html

The problems which I had with the rollerbearings of my old cattrax had not so much to do with greasing. The Eurotrax rollerbearing is dimensioned with a lot of space for incoming water/sand.

The real problem are the transversely (axial) forces of the bearing rollers to the sides, to the distance bushing and wheel fixationclamps which hold the rim on his place. Eventually every part eats the other up and the whole bearing system starts to wear out critically.
When I used (on advice of the manufacturer)iron spacerdisks for that reason, one iron disk had grinded itself after a few months through the Alutube itself.

My cat fell down on the street with 40km/h!

In hindsight its always clear: a normal cattrax is not designed for road use and/or long distances. Rebuilding the trax was in my case forcefully necessary.

I've been watching your posts for years.
Very nice set ups you have there.

That is one Bad dude Cat hauler!

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: Changing cattrax into trolley [Re: northsea junkie] #276005
10/31/14 10:55 AM
10/31/14 10:55 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

"Hindsight?" I really didn't consider the fact that Cat Trax are unsuitable for trailering as a mystery...

Nice work nonetheless!

Mike

Re: Changing cattrax into trolley [Re: brucat] #276008
10/31/14 12:08 PM
10/31/14 12:08 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
addict
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by brucat
"Hindsight?" I really didn't consider the fact that Cat Trax are unsuitable for trailering as a mystery...

My excuse is that an old fashioned cattrax worked for me for 5 years. Only the last year the real problems begun.
Because (hindsight again) I changed from a little tractor to a faster tow, so my speed increased. And because the coast situation in my village is changing, I have to drive longer.

I remember me even that other catsailors from a next village asked me a few years ago if they could also use a cattrax for trailering to and from the beach. And I said: ofcourse, peace of cake.
Then.

By the way, hindsight is the biggest nuisance for an older man. It's the cause for every night having nightmares!

blush frown

Last edited by northsea junkie; 10/31/14 12:15 PM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Changing cattrax into trolley [Re: northsea junkie] #276053
11/04/14 07:09 PM
11/04/14 07:09 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
By the way, hindsight is the biggest nuisance for an older man. It's the cause for every night having nightmares!

blush frown

Word!

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 431 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022