01/15/15 10:11 PM
01/15/15 10:11 PM
Brisbane Queensland- Australia
Q
Qb2 Offline OP
Qb2  Offline OP
Q

Found corrosion between the rear beam traveller support and the carbon beam on my A cat. Cleaned up the aluminium bracket and reriveted only to be told to drill out the rivets and put washers inside the beam crimped onto the rivets to spread the mainsheet load. How do you do it, especially solo. I bought a Usb cable camera which i shoved inside the beam then tried fixing washers to a plank and holding up to the rivet tips to clamp down when the rivet gun compresses the head. Lots of misses and retrys. In desperation used a string thru a thin straw screwed onto a bolt thread and successfully dragged the washer and bolt through the beam and out of the hole. Next problem, how to tighten the nyloc nut without stjffing the thread. Suggestions?

Last edited by Qb2; 01/15/15 10:12 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277061
01/15/15 11:18 PM
01/15/15 11:18 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Dalai Lama levels of patience.

I'm boatless.
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277062
01/16/15 02:35 AM
01/16/15 02:35 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Can you please show a photo/pic of your problem. I don't understand your difficulty. Is it inside or outside the beam?

But with regard to this riveting thing. Why don't you glue first with epoxyfiller the washer inside the beam over the rivet which is completely stick in. Use a auxiliary piece of wood to do so.(be sure you not glue the wooden piece also). Tighten/compress the rivet first after hardening of the epoxy. Be sure you use a rivet with a long enough shaft; it will make things easier and gives a larger plug of alu before the hole.
Wax the rivets before.

Ofcourse all assuming that the shape of the beam is flat under the traveller.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 01/16/15 04:14 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277065
01/16/15 06:05 AM
01/16/15 06:05 AM
S
srm Offline
enthusiast
srm  Offline
enthusiast
S

I was going to say the same thing. Glue the washer to the inside of the beam before riveting. You can even use plain old silicone caulk. The glue just needs to hold the washer in position temporarily while you install the rivet. Also, if you can remove the beam from the boat and flip it so the holes are pointing downward, it will help a lot. Gravity will be your best friend or your worst enemy in this case.

sm

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277066
01/16/15 08:13 AM
01/16/15 08:13 AM
Quebec, Canada
A
A. Bourgault Offline
stranger
A. Bourgault  Offline
stranger
A

Quebec, Canada
If you don't care about adding a little bit of weight, to replace the washers you may use a strip of aluminum or stainless the length of your beam and drill holes in it at the same spacing than the beam and you will be able to hold it from the ends. A lot easier than trying to align separate washers.

AB

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: A. Bourgault] #277067
01/16/15 08:32 AM
01/16/15 08:32 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
with regards to the bolt method, I've had luck using electrical tape, a batten, and an open end wrench. I'll tape the wrench solidly to the end of the batten. Then I'll make one wrap of tape around the nut and jam that into the end of the open end wrench. You can also adjust the angle of the nut in the wrench to offset it slightly out of plane if you need to - the tape will hold it pretty much wherever you set it. I slide that batten in until I can see the nut from outside the hole and then carefully start to thread the screw into it. I've also used some liquid nails (a thick glue/sealant) to hold a washer onto the nut. I can get a nut on a screw in the middle of the beam relatively quickly this way.

A rivet washer, however, would be a completely different animal. It would have to be pressed up against the inside of the beam with some pressure in order for the rivet to take it up properly. I might try some hair-brained idea to glue a washer to a chunk of sponge and then tie that to a batten, push that into the beam with the batten and try to wedge it inside the beam to push the washer in place. Use a drill bit to clean out a bit of the sponge through the hole to allow the rivet to penetrate it without moving the washer, then rivet. I've never tried this but I've had crazier things work.

the guys that build "ships in a bottle" might have some neat tricks up their sleeves for this. grin

Jake Kohl
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Jake] #277068
01/16/15 08:34 AM
01/16/15 08:34 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
which makes your avatar that much more relevant!

Jay

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277070
01/16/15 09:20 AM
01/16/15 09:20 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
To get the washers in place I would try a small line and contact cemment. Use a small artist brush to apply some glue through the hole in the beam. Dab a little on the washer. Tie a knot in the middle of a long enough piece of line to be able to tie the ends of the line together. This is done so you can pull the knot away from the washer. Let the glue dry and rivet. If the beam has some curve you need to match the washer to that curve.

Have Fun
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277083
01/16/15 05:56 PM
01/16/15 05:56 PM
Q
Qb2 Offline OP
Qb2  Offline OP
Q

Mistakes made, rivets not long enough to ensure plenty of take up to crimp the washer , i thought if they were much longer they may not have compressed and tightened up enough. washers not bent to match inner curve radius, should have glued washers in. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Last edited by Qb2; 01/16/15 06:42 PM.
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277088
01/17/15 02:01 AM
01/17/15 02:01 AM
P
phill Offline
veteran
phill  Offline
veteran
P

I've bolted on full length travellers many times but you may need a helper for bolts right in the center of the beam.
Cordless screw driver, ring spanner, packing tape and a stiff batten. (Helper drives electric screw driver for the middle ones.)
Tape the ring spanner to the batten.
Packing tape over washer and down sides of nut.
Nut should just fit into the ring spanner with the packing tape. Not too hard as you have to wiggle the ring spanner off the nut when it is done up.
Stick hole in packing tape so bolt an go through washer.
Put center bolt in first and slide batten in until it hits the bolt. Then carefully move it around until you can feel the bolt go in the hole in the washer and drive the bolt with the electric screw driver. Then do the next one out from the center. Makes it way easier to do it in this order.
Whenever I do a task like this that requires a lot of care and patience I just keep reminding myself that
"This is a game of skill".
Good luck.

Last edited by phill; 01/17/15 02:08 AM.

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277089
01/17/15 04:47 AM
01/17/15 04:47 AM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

I've found the best way to glue the washers to a nut is spray on contact glue in a can, just a fine spray is enough, spray nuts and washers then press together after a minute, washers inside with a rivet worries me as any imperfection will stop the washer being pulled against the beam until the traveller is under load and then you have a loose rivet, bolting the traveller on is easy but if you want the rivets you could just spray the washers , stick them to the ring spanner and they pull of easily once riveted

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: JeffS] #277090
01/17/15 05:30 AM
01/17/15 05:30 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by JeffS
, washers inside with a rivet worries me as any imperfection will stop the washer being pulled against the beam until the traveller is under load and then you have a loose rivet,

That's why I suggested glueing the washer spacely with epoxy filler. It also compensates any imperfect prebend of the washer.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 01/17/15 05:30 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277091
01/17/15 05:55 AM
01/17/15 05:55 AM
Q
Qb2 Offline OP
Qb2  Offline OP
Q

Thank you all for your comments. There is method to this madness called boat repairs. The epoxy glued washer idea is just brilliant have filed that away if there is ever a repeat performance. Half my problem has been doing this solo, another pair of hands would have helped massively. Put the usb camera inside today to have a final look and the rivets and washers were tight on the inner wall but one of the bolts hadn't pulled up tight enough so levered the top washer up and then tightened the nut down and something went right for a change and it bedded well.Test sail tomorrow so will see how we go

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277099
01/17/15 05:06 PM
01/17/15 05:06 PM
maui
jollyrodgers Offline
enthusiast
jollyrodgers  Offline
enthusiast

maui
Wait, you are bolting aluminum to carbon with stainless steel and no one has a problem with that?
Jake has made it pretty clear that stainless and carbon react. In spite of that, it is a common way to add fittings to a carbon mast or whatever. Lightly rusted stainless seems to retain most of it's strength.
Adding aluminum to the equation makes a bomb of corrosion in my experience, and should be avoided. perhaps i have mis-read the OP.
Mainly, since i don't speak Australian, this post is to find out what a ring spanner is?
Also if you glue a washer down with epoxy it won't be stuck very well and it would be hard to keep the glue out of the hole in the washer. After it dries you won't be able to slide the rivet in. Trying to drill the dry glue out of the hole will prolly pop the washer loose.

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: jollyrodgers] #277102
01/17/15 07:31 PM
01/17/15 07:31 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by jollyrodgers
Wait, you are bolting aluminum to carbon with stainless steel and no one has a problem with that?
Jake has made it pretty clear that stainless and carbon react. In spite of that, it is a common way to add fittings to a carbon mast or whatever. Lightly rusted stainless seems to retain most of it's strength.
Adding aluminum to the equation makes a bomb of corrosion in my experience, and should be avoided. perhaps i have mis-read the OP.
Mainly, since i don't speak Australian, this post is to find out what a ring spanner is?
Also if you glue a washer down with epoxy it won't be stuck very well and it would be hard to keep the glue out of the hole in the washer. After it dries you won't be able to slide the rivet in. Trying to drill the dry glue out of the hole will prolly pop the washer loose.

Well...yeah..that goes without saying. Carbon is at one end of the galvanic scale so just about anything that is in contact with it will act as an anode and corrode (including stainless). Anything that connects to carbon (that isn't already carbon) should have an electrical isolator between them to help slow down corrosion.

Jake Kohl
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277105
01/18/15 02:54 AM
01/18/15 02:54 AM
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

If you have a carbon beam in good condition and you epoxy aluminium or Stainless to it there is no problem with corrosion as the epoxy doesn't promote corrosion, I regulary insert aluminium tube inside carbon tillers at the break to keep them straight when I put them back together and there is nil corrosion after a few years and a few repairs

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277106
01/18/15 03:28 AM
01/18/15 03:28 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Yes, you are correct Jeff. That's exactly the big misunderstandment.

Carbon laminate is a mixture of carbon fiber and resin. At the surface of carbon made part their will always be the last microns resin at the surface. Which electrically isolates. So you can let a aluminium traveller rest on a carbon laminate surface for a century and nothing will happen.
(Yes,I know saltwater surrounding will demand more isolation in order to prevent leaking-current, which may blow through)

But if you are drilling holes in the carbon laminate, then you indeed create vulnerable spots for galvanic corrosion. So, a responsable cat-manufacturer takes care for that before rivetting the traveller on the beam.

And after drilling a rivet out, you have to isolate the hole again with resin, or other isolator.

(Don't want to be the wise guy, but epoxy filler on the washer will do that trick too)

Last edited by northsea junkie; 01/18/15 04:21 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277116
01/18/15 04:40 PM
01/18/15 04:40 PM
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Ive found Duralac sorts out rivets and screws

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: carbon beam traveller mount repair [Re: Qb2] #277125
01/19/15 03:16 PM
01/19/15 03:16 PM
maui
jollyrodgers Offline
enthusiast
jollyrodgers  Offline
enthusiast

maui
Ok color me overly concerned about the ability to insulate the 3 materials from each other. Just keep going forward and juice the area regularly with oil or whatever in the future.
Maybe it's English that i don't speak. They are the ones that call a wrench, a spanner. Presumably a ring spanner is a box end wrench in american speak. inches, pounds, wrench; what's wrong with the rest of the world? ha ha

My hair brained solution would be to wet out a bundle of carbon tow about half a meter long on your plastic covered work table (you can un-weave cloth to get the strands if you don't have the tow). Squeegee it out with your hand by pulling through a fist. Make sure the bundle fits through your rivet holes. Once squeegeed out it holds shape pretty well.
Guide one end through the hole and clip off a section with scissors. Flair or fold over the top end so it doesn't fall through the hole and tape off. Figure out some way to fold or flair the bottom end, and a way to hold it like that until cured; like a plastic covered stick, tape, a bladder, etc.
I have never tried this exact procedure, but i like to use carbon and resin to replace as much of the metal components as possible.
If you had a carbon beam, bracket, and traveler track, it could all be glued together in theory.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022