Hop To
Loch Sport Catamaran Challenge #275931
10/27/14 03:15 AM
10/27/14 03:15 AM
Victoria Australia
Petern Offline OP
Petern  Offline OP

Victoria Australia
Hi all. The Pulse Credit Union Catamaran Challenge is on this Saturday Nov 1ST at Loch Sport.This is our long distance race on lake Victoria, Registration from 9.00am to 12.00, race starts at 1.00pm.
If you are coming and need some where to stay Friday or Saturday let me now I have some room at my place. BYO
Peter N

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Loch Sport Catamaran Challenge [Re: Petern] #275978
10/29/14 02:37 AM
10/29/14 02:37 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

I can assure you it's worth going, great sailing and hospitality and there's a fair chance you could win petrol money grin seeing as I won't be there wink .

Re: Loch Sport Catamaran Challenge [Re: Petern] #275980
10/29/14 07:14 PM
10/29/14 07:14 PM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

boat still not ready?

Re: Loch Sport Catamaran Challenge [Re: Matt_Stone] #277037
01/15/15 02:34 AM
01/15/15 02:34 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

This event was postponed due to strong winds frown but has been rescheduled to Saturday 24th January. grin

Looks like PWS will be making a Splash, plus us Gippy Lakes sailors, if anybody wants to come along and sail extra days we can organize some casual racing or touring as preferred. cool Beats mucking about on Yabbie Ponds cry Just imagine reaches in one direction for further than you can see whistle .

Let Peter N know if you need accomadation, he will let you know what is available.

Re: Loch Sport Catamaran Challenge [Re: ] #277154
01/21/15 01:52 AM
01/21/15 01:52 AM

S
stillbitten
Unregistered
stillbitten
Unregistered
S

Hi all,

Weather is looking good for this event, so come along if you can, beleive me it's worth the trip cool .

I will be sailing, my back is pretty much recovered and ribs are getting better, major problem is laying flat, so as long as I don't try too hard on trapeze, I should be OK crazy

In fact wind forecast is looking so good, at present I am thinking about packing a wet bag and sailing to Loch Sport Friday arvo and back on Sunday or Monday (depending on wind and who else turns up). Save time and fuel, should be fun currently forecast light south easterly there on Friday and light souwester Sunday to return, that means 1 hour or so each way without dropping the spinnaker shocked Try that on a Yabbie Pond wink

Re: Loch Sport Catamaran Challenge [Re: ] #277253
01/25/15 06:06 PM
01/25/15 06:06 PM
East Gippsland, Australia
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

East Gippsland, Australia
Results!
[Linked Image]

Attached Files
lscc2015.jpg (184 downloads)

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: Loch Sport Catamaran Challenge [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #277260
01/26/15 05:43 AM
01/26/15 05:43 AM

S
stillbitten
Unregistered
stillbitten
Unregistered
S

Hi all,

What a great days racing smile , a huge course sailed mostly on flat water in 10 to 15 knots. Wind direction was regularly shifting up to 15 degrees on the open part of the lake and there were shorter sharper variations in strength and direction near the windward shore.

The race started with a short beat to windward on trapeze near the club, which saw all the Mossies fairly close together. Then a run to the leeward shore, which saw "Still Bitten" break away with a few strategic gybes allowing me to stay on the front of the gusts for longer, also managed to pick a few knocks, to go out to a large lead (500m?) over "Karma Cat", "Bee Alert" and "Immunity", with "More Than A Splash" falling behind.

Then around a platform near Storm Point and on to a long broad reach, allowing spinnakers to stay up. "Bee Alert" "Immunity" and "Karma Cat" where all battling away, with "Immunity" going on to trapeze to make the most of the gusts as all 3 got gradualy closer to "Still Bitten", which was sailing in less pressure. As we approached the next turning mark a pole near the entrance to Hollands Landing, the wind got quite fluky and patchy and the 4 Mossies all rounded within a few minutes.

The leg back to a buoy near the club, was a mostly starboard tack beat and the Mossies spread out a bit, but came together closer as they crossed tacks. About half way through the huge beat, "Immunity" and "Bee Alert" picked better pressure and a shift to jump into the lead. "Still Bitten" decided to cut the loss and tack on to the same heading as "Immunity" as soon as it became apparent the lead had been lost. This stopped the loss increasing, as "Karma Cat" continued and ended up well behind. "Immunity" headed towards the windward shore with "Still Bitten" trying to stay in touch, "Bee Alert" stayed further out in the lake. A few surprising shifts allowed "Still Bitten" to get back in the lead and then cover "Immunity" as he went close in to shore, as they approached the club mark, "Bee Alert" had made the most of local knowledge and swept into the lead as he flew into the club mark on a strong gust and lift. That was the end of the first huge triangle.

Once around the Club mark, it was spinnakers back up and head back down wind to Storm Point, the wind was up and "Still Bitten" trapezed past "Bee Alert" with "Immunity" not far behind. Then around the platform and beating back to the Club mark, it was around this time my ribs started becoming painfull (obviously 2 weeks had not been enough for them to mend). Back at the Club mark it was now onto a long tight reach towards the Pub mark, totaly flat water with strong gusts, meant lots of mainsheet adjustment, tough work with my ribs getting more painfull.

Around the Pub mark and then onto a broad reach towards Storm Point, with spinnaker up, great fun but speed had to be balanced with rib restrictions. Then around the platform and a loose beat back to the Club buoy, with windward centreboard up, the end of the smaller triangle.

Then it was back downwind to Storm Point again on a broad reach (with windward board up and traveller well down, but this time the wind had shifted and increased in strength to the point where you couldn't carry a spinnaker, some of it was on trapeze and some sitting in (with windward board up and traveller well down, "Wild Thinging" at times). Around the platform for the last time thank heavens whistle and on to a tight reach on trapeze (with traveller well down) towards the Finish line, between the Club buoy and Club. I was now pretty much leaving the mainsheet cleated as I couldn't adjust it without pain, but following the gusts up and down, was still very fast, would have been even more fun without the ribs.

Then it was over, 2 hours of great Mossie sailing cool. But now I have to stay off the water for a few weeks again mad. It's really difficult to not go sailing on "Still Bitten" after such a long break and this boat being sooo fast and fun to sail, I just want more, NOW. cry

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022