08/19/02 06:39 PM
St-Lawrence River, Quebec City...
Flying_Frog Offline
stranger
Flying_Frog  Offline
stranger

Here I go...

Got my 17R early in june. Big thanks to our Nacra dealer Jean-Marc who did a fantastic job.

I do not know where to begin with!

Hull shape

..is fantastic. The bows looks and acts like axe heads. It goes throught water really well and rarely stalls from digging in too much. Even in big winds under SPi it does not dig in, and if it does, well it pops up really fast because the bows are very narrow and cuts throught the water on the way up.

Mainsail.

The technora mainsail is a little tricky to trim. I have the 30 1/2 feet carbon mast. You absolutely have to trim the traveler along with the mainsheet, or the boat stalls or slows down a lot. This is the most awesome design we've seen for a mainsail here. It looks like a mix a carbon and kevlar, with a transparent darkgreen/brown coating.

Spinnaker

The spinnaker setup with it's E/O snuffer is a real delight. I actually snuff the Spi while heading back into the wind, wich gives you a big plus in regattas.

Hardware

This is something wich either needs some rethinking by Nacra, or a nice litle budget from the owner. I've put snap shakles throughout, mast rotation cams for pivoting cams, double ratchet for Spin sheet(+jib style cam for long runs and even regattas). With the big tag price, it should have been equipped with carbo blocks like the less expensive Nacra F18's.

Carbon Mast

Now that I realize what it does for me, I would'nt live without it. Rigging is really easy because it weights next to nothing.

Second, the boat reacts to every little wind puffs ther is with instant acceleration.

The boat is easy to keep seated or into controlled heeling. The mast has next to no momentem when it heels, so it does not bring you with it in a sudden gust of wind. I actually can wait until the end of the gust for the boat to sit down.

Daggerboards

High aspect daggerboards are easy to deal with alone. You just don't want to ferget them when beaching in. Raising them a little in 20knots + gives the boat a second boost since it sops heeling crazy and goas for speed.

Rudder system

...is easy to operate, the best I've seen by far.

There is so much to talk about that I'll gladly answer your questions.

This is a fantastic boat. It goes fast in almost every wind conditions. I always go out to sail, whatever the conditions, believe me or not, and I think it is the best boat to be on to go fast in 20+.

Please pardon my writing. I'm french speaking, so if something doesn't make sense, ask me.

Sail long and prosper.

Phil

Inter17R Spi

Quebec city

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Take it easy, Vicatman... [Re: michael C] #2775
08/20/02 10:02 AM
08/20/02 10:02 AM
St Croix Virgin Islands
vicatman Offline
vicatman  Offline

St Croix Virgin Islands
heyyyy why dont you really kiss my butt......

Re: FX ONE VS INTER 17, NACRA 5.2, H17, Tiger... [Re: Flying_Frog] #2776
07/07/03 11:03 PM
07/07/03 11:03 PM
Flying_Frog Offline
stranger
Flying_Frog  Offline
stranger

Hey, I'm bumping one of my only post.

I LOVE my 17.

I went to the Nationnals, Performance week in Traverse City last year. It was a super event, Uni sailors are so cool, we share every tip we have (in hope to get new ones )

My 17 has no problems at all. I did change a lot of hardware, I'm now trying to put Spectra lines throughout.

My spinnaker has some holes in it, nothing some Spi tape can't repair.

My mainsail was badly damaged at the Nationnals, but Quantum Designs Sail loft patched it nicely.

Righting is a joke. I only flipped it twice, and it was at the nationnals. Only standing on the boards raised it, It was laughing hard enough for the chase boat to stare at me strangely.

Sailing alone is so relaxing, NO MORE CREW FOR ME !

To all I-17's sailors, see you at Pensacola, I'll be there

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 686 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022