02/23/15 05:09 AM

S
stillbitten
Unregistered
stillbitten
Unregistered
S

Hi all,

Gippsland Lakes provided a day out of the box yesterday grin . Hot and sunny with the seabreeze building to mostly trapeze strength, just awesome Mossie with Spinnaker sailing cool .

Still Bitten (SB) was joined by Karma Cat (KC) and Immunity (Imm), SB got Imm on the start shutting the door at the boat, but KC got under SB and SB ended up having to stall on the line to avoid crossing, with KC getting off the line faster, but all where still not trapezing. As soon as Imm cleared the line it tacked on to Port trapezing and SB followed trapezing, that was why they had fought for the boat, they had seen the wind stronger on the right hand side of the course before the start. KC stayed on Starboard sitting on the side, sailing the left handside of the beat. Within a few hundred metres, SB was able to drop down lower on trapeze and started increasing downhaul tension to depower. Pointing higher and at least equalling Imm speed, a perfect layline pick helped SB to get even further ahead as Imm sailed past the lay. SB had established a lead in the first beat that was untouched for the rest of the race.

The downwinds where great fun with the spinnaker providing enough power to fly a hull grin , it was just great fun, triangle then windward and return, then triangle and beat to windward. There where small shifts but for the most part the wind stayed stronger on the right of the course, so it was the way to go.

Just another great days sailing on the lakes, lucky I don't care about the peronal handicap results cry.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Almost Perfect Days Sailing [Re: ] #277712
02/23/15 09:46 PM
02/23/15 09:46 PM
Rye, Melb, Vic, Australia
Peter_Lyons Offline
journeyman
Peter_Lyons  Offline
journeyman

Rye, Melb, Vic, Australia
It was a nice day at Rye too. We had a family day and instead of a race we sailed from Rye yacht club to Blairgowrie. The fleet contained Pacers, Rs Fevas, Sabres, a Hobie 18, a Tornado and 6 mosquito’s (3 x sloop, 1 sloop + spin, 2 cat + spin). The trip to Blairgowrie was off the wind and with the spinnaker up on my cat rig, there was just enough wind to trapeze and fly the hull nicely. As the sabres were much slower, I got to head back to Rye pier and have another go. This time I sat as far in as possible and went as low as I could with the hull up. Good practice.

After a 30 minute break at Blairgowrie, it was a work to windward to get back to Rye. Just enough wind to either trapeze or fly the hull (not both). As with Gippsland Lakes, it was a great day to be sailing.

Mossie 1822
The Unsent Letter
Put one foot after the other, cos that's how we roll.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022