Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by ThunderMuffin
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Timbo
Pulling a shroud pin to drop the mast is probably the best/quickest/safest way to drop the stick but I would still want to flip the boat over, just to keep the tramp down low, as in under water, and then just sit between the hulls on the underside of the tramp, using the mast/sails underwater as a sea anchor.

I think the biggest 'problem' in this event was recognition. Nobody knew the winds would turn out to be 80mph. I've been out when 'a storm was coming' and you can usually see them coming from a ways off, you'll certainly hear it if there's lightning in it... but I'm usually thinking, is it going to be 20mph...or 30...or maybe 40? But 80?? I never would have thought it would have been blowing THAT hard!

I think that's probably why so many guys were caught up short of taking the sails down, etc, hindsight is always 20-20.

Indeed - a lot of racers might be inclined to approach that storm with a little more "yee-haw!". I remember a Tybee500 start with a fairly significant storm cell just offshore and to the North. It was cranking on the beach for the start. Mischa and others headed right for the storm cell offshore. I thought they were crazy. I finished about 4 hours behind them that day and re-evaluated my desire to stay away from those storms.

And, BTW, I would never recommend tying yourself to the boat.

(Turn your speakers down, wind noise)

That ended up being an excellent sailing day. I enjoyed it immensely.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #278616
04/28/15 12:10 PM
04/28/15 12:10 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

That ended up being an excellent sailing day. I enjoyed it immensely.

Funny, I seem to remember that was the leg that turned into a 17.5 hour slogfest because my spinnaker fell apart around Vero IIRC.

Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: dave mosley] #278617
04/28/15 12:28 PM
04/28/15 12:28 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Nice pics and summary Will.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Mlcreek] #278618
04/28/15 12:34 PM
04/28/15 12:34 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Mlcreek
It's a shame we can't all be as brilliant as you! You are truly a legend.

By all means ignore me, I have no experience that can be useful to you,suffer in your own ignorance.
And this is why I quit posting on here for so long.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #278619
04/28/15 01:05 PM
04/28/15 01:05 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

By all means ignore me, I have no experience that can be useful to you,suffer in your own ignorance.
And this is why I quit posting on here for so long.

Now Todd you know the rules if you're going to talk to people without a filter you can't get uppity when they don't like it.

Have a nice day you angry old f@#k :-)

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #278622
04/28/15 01:51 PM
04/28/15 01:51 PM
Hernando, Florida
M
Mlcreek Offline
Mlcreek  Offline
M

Hernando, Florida
I'm not sure Todd what your problem is.....but I simply asked for advice, however you gave nothing but sarcasm which was out of place. Maybe if you checked your attitude and reversed your delivery you wouldn't be so angry.

Forrest
I-20
USA 645

" There ain't enough rum in the drum!"
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Jake] #278624
04/28/15 01:58 PM
04/28/15 01:58 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL

Most of those sausages are designed to be filled with air from the scuba tanks, I believe...and I'm not sure how much they would add to your visibility from the air

Mine you can inflate manually and can be seen from a reasonable distance in moderate weather when you wave it like a madman...

don't ask me how I know. twice

a) dive boat left me 3 miles offshore
b) used to alert large vessel that felt like it was going to drive over me (while still at 20' deco stop depth. tied it to my cave line and sent it to the surface). Not sure where that boat actually was, but the engine vibration was strong enough to make my chest hurt)

Jay

Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: waterbug_wpb] #278626
04/28/15 02:04 PM
04/28/15 02:04 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

Most of those sausages are designed to be filled with air from the scuba tanks, I believe...and I'm not sure how much they would add to your visibility from the air

Mine you can inflate manually and can be seen from a reasonable distance in moderate weather when you wave it like a madman...

don't ask me how I know. twice

a) dive boat left me 3 miles offshore
b) used to alert large vessel that felt like it was going to drive over me (while still at 20' deco stop depth. tied it to my cave line and sent it to the surface). Not sure where that boat actually was, but the engine vibration was strong enough to make my chest hurt)

Good lord, man. That was hopefully enough to make you give up diving.

Jake Kohl
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Jake] #278627
04/28/15 02:15 PM
04/28/15 02:15 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
yeah, item b) gave me pause when considering a future in tech diving. It became less "recreation" after that.

Also, floating on your deco line for upwards of 3 hours in what amounts to open ocean reminded me too much of those little ballyhoo bait fish for big beasties that were probably circling me just out of sight...

All for a little shipwreck..? hmmm.

I limit myself now to lobster diving mostly...

Jay

Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: dave mosley] #278629
04/28/15 02:38 PM
04/28/15 02:38 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Todd,

Armchair quarterbacking and a comparison to the great cesspool of sailing (SA)???

I really don't see much armchair quarterbacking, mostly people trying to think through what to do if faced with similar conditions. While there are probably no easy or one-size-fits-all answers to that, it's much better to think through and share ideas before needing to figure it out on the water. Believe it or not, there are other people here who have been through some pretty hairy ordeals.

As for the SA remark, I really didn't see any personal attacks (aka the hallmark of any SA thread), at least not until you came along...

Mike

Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: dave mosley] #278633
04/28/15 04:49 PM
04/28/15 04:49 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Groan.

I wish more people knew Todd in person. Look at it this way Mike, you had a pre-determined idea of who I am prior to us meeting in Rhode Island. Same deal. Todd is much more cuddly in person.

I'm boatless.
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: dave mosley] #278635
04/28/15 07:00 PM
04/28/15 07:00 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Maybe the SA reference he threw out there pushed a button, but I still think this thread has been remarkably restrained with second-guessing.

I still think we should be able to discuss these things without being bullied. This is one of the few discussions that are literally the difference between life and death.

Mike

Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Karl_Brogger] #278636
04/28/15 07:05 PM
04/28/15 07:05 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Groan.

I wish more people knew Todd in person. Look at it this way Mike, you had a pre-determined idea of who I am prior to us meeting in Rhode Island. Same deal. Todd is much more cuddly in person.

Karl, I appreciate the sentiment, but if I wanted those people to know me they would, I'm not exactly a wallflower. Maybe if people would think through what they post, before they hit the send button it would save them from some a$$hole like me calling them out for their stupid comments.I'm not angry in the least just tired of the BS that passes for knowledge.
In the future, I'll certainly refrain from correcting the deadly advise often given here. I learned my lessons the hard way and far be it for me to save any of you from those wonderful, possibly deadly experiences yourselves. You're welcome.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Karl_Brogger] #278637
04/28/15 08:10 PM
04/28/15 08:10 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Groan.

It's not knowing him in person...it's that he's not that Todd that we know on these forums for some reason. His posts are full of sarcasm and insult and then he blames us for the response he gets. I mean, seriously, there was a much nicer way to communicate that dropping the rig on the water will probably introduce more liability and risk into the situation.

Jake Kohl
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: dave mosley] #278639
04/28/15 08:45 PM
04/28/15 08:45 PM
Atlanta, GA
KentHobie Offline
KentHobie  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Probably a stupid question but does insurance cover this kind of damage?
(To the boats not the egos.)

Kent
1988 H16
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: KentHobie] #278640
04/28/15 09:42 PM
04/28/15 09:42 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by KentHobie
Probably a stupid question but does insurance cover this kind of damage?
(To the boats not the egos.)

I would expect so. We drove in hard into the back of a steep wave in our first tybee 500 and it put enough of the spinnaker under water that it broke the spin pole and ripped the kite irreparably. It wasn't my boat/insurance but a claim ended up with a quick settlement for a new spinnaker and pole. Frankly, I'm rather surprised at how much racing related issues insurance does cover.

Jake Kohl
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Jake] #278647
04/29/15 08:25 AM
04/29/15 08:25 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Groan.

It's not knowing him in person...it's that he's not that Todd that we know on these forums for some reason. His posts are full of sarcasm and insult and then he blames us for the response he gets. I mean, seriously, there was a much nicer way to communicate that dropping the rig on the water will probably introduce more liability and risk into the situation.

The lack of tone, inflection, and body language makes this medium a bit more difficult than others to communicate. Throw some sensitivity in there, and you can be talking to someone you've never met, and the message gets lost in the static.

Personally, cutting the rig loose would likely not cross my mind as a valid option unless it's already down, because Todd's right. A mast flopping around in the waves, semi connected to the boat is just asking for holes in what little hope you have of not being a swimmer.

I'm boatless.
Re: Mobile bay regatta [Re: Karl_Brogger] #278649
04/29/15 08:33 AM
04/29/15 08:33 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

Personally, cutting the rig loose would likely not cross my mind as a valid option unless it's already down, because Todd's right. A mast flopping around in the waves, semi connected to the boat is just asking for holes in what little hope you have of not being a swimmer.

I agree on the rig as well. It would not be a good idea to drop it on the water. Besides the significant risk of damage, unless you have a rig specifically designed for it, it will be unlikely you could ever stand it up again unless you get to shore.

Jake Kohl
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 631 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022