01/19/04 08:54 PM
01/19/04 08:54 PM
big island hawaii
johnmyles Offline OP
stranger
johnmyles  Offline OP
stranger

big island hawaii
i am new to cat sailing offshore. i have a 33ft woody brown design with 12ft beam open cargo net fwd.vessel sails well with new main and new asymetric spinnaker.jib is self tacking engine is 9.9 honda 4 stroke mounted on stern.
when i am sailing on north coast of big island wind increases very quickly as channel between big island and maui creates funnel effect seas also become steep and large. reefing has become difficult in these conditions and have had to run downwind on two occasions as result. with increase in wind i am uneasy with bringing vessel into wind as force on main feels like it could flip vessel.engine is useless as waves will keep prop from staying in water.also lower spreaders are swept back, when main is eased it will not spill wind enough to luff fwd edge.i am always singlehanded and auto pilot is unreliable when vessel is overcanvassed in this manner.have thought of setting up downhaul lines through reef cringles to force main down while vessel is in quasi hove to position as of now have not tried this approach any info appreciated.
john

--Advertisement--
Re: reefing [Re: johnmyles] #27927
01/20/04 11:07 AM
01/20/04 11:07 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
What is the nature of the sail attachment to the mast at the luff? A simple bolt-rope configuration or track slugs will have a lot of drag, if you don't have a track and car (looks like a traveler up the mast, saill attaches to ball bearing cars) system you might want to upgrade, especially if you have full battens. Reefing lines to help pull the sail down and secure the new tack and clew of the sail would be advisable, single line reefing systems are sold by most of the major hardware companies (Harken, etc.).

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022