South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by sierracat
Originally Posted by Jake
You are correct in that this is not nearly enough angle on the mainsheet for a boomless rig to function properly.

Hmmmm. That's what I am thinking. *sigh*. So, does this frankenstein of a boat need a boom added to it now? The sail is quite nice. Do you think the mast is also from an 18sq, or were they the same as the 5.5 uni? (this mast is 29'6"). If I recall correctly, the 5.5SL mast is a little shorter than the Uni, but don't know the specs on the 18sq masts.

I'm pretty sure that Nacra once marketed a widened 5.5 as a factory available 18 square if I remember that correctly. You may have some sort of combination of the two.

But, yes, if you intend to use that sail, you are definitely going to need a boom. Note that if you can put a strop around the boom to the mainsail so that the mainsheet loads are directly transferred to the sail, and only use the boom to support an outhaul adjustment, you can go with a much smaller (and cheaper) material for a boom (like most of the catamarans available today do).

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: Jake] #276833
12/29/14 11:21 AM
12/29/14 11:21 AM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
I'm pretty sure that Nacra once marketed a widened 5.5 as a factory available 18 square if I remember that correctly. You may have some sort of combination of the two.

But, yes, if you intend to use that sail, you are definitely going to need a boom. Note that if you can put a strop around the boom to the mainsail so that the mainsheet loads are directly transferred to the sail, and only use the boom to support an outhaul adjustment, you can go with a much smaller (and cheaper) material for a boom (like most of the catamarans available today do).

Thanks Jake,

Hoping some others chime in on this, but what were you thinking regarding boom specs? Build my own (like the beams) rather than try and source a nacra original? Perhaps 2" 6061 Aluminum tube, maybe 0.0625 wall thickness? How about a gooseneck assembly? The old main beam had a rudder gudgen fitting attached facing aft, I suspect this was how the boom was attached when this was an 18sq. My sail doesn't come all the way down to the tramp at the tack, so I would need something a little higher on the mast. Maybe getting ahead of myself here, but throwing some ideas around.

Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #276834
12/29/14 12:44 PM
12/29/14 12:44 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

Thanks Jake,

Hoping some others chime in on this, but what were you thinking regarding boom specs? Build my own (like the beams) rather than try and source a nacra original? Perhaps 2" 6061 Aluminum tube, maybe 0.0625 wall thickness? How about a gooseneck assembly? The old main beam had a rudder gudgen fitting attached facing aft, I suspect this was how the boom was attached when this was an 18sq. My sail doesn't come all the way down to the tramp at the tack, so I would need something a little higher on the mast. Maybe getting ahead of myself here, but throwing some ideas around.

Nothing says that the sail has to meet the boom at the goosneck...they could be three feet away and the boom angled upward if need-be...but, that takes up a good bit of real estate to get across the boat and having the boom up higher on the mast is definitely desirable.

BTW, sunfish masts will make an operable boom (or spin pole) and they're typically cheaper from a sunfish dealer than you can get the same extrusion from a metal wholesaler.

Jake Kohl
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #276839
12/29/14 11:53 PM
12/29/14 11:53 PM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
2" .0625 is plenty stout, that's what my i20 had.

Some downhaul will probably pull that sail close to the bottom on the track.

Last edited by bacho; 12/30/14 12:05 AM.
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: bacho] #276844
12/30/14 12:11 PM
12/30/14 12:11 PM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
Originally Posted by bacho
2" .0625 is plenty stout, that's what my i20 had.

Some downhaul will probably pull that sail close to the bottom on the track.

yeah, I figured that will help a bit. Didn't have the downhaul rigged up for the test.

Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: Jake] #276848
12/31/14 01:37 AM
12/31/14 01:37 AM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
What sort of gooseneck fitting do the older boom Nacras e.g. 5.2 use. I believe they were rectangular booms, so what could I make work? I've google searched and pulled up some pics of hardware (not installed, just the item) and I can't visualize the connection.

Note that if you can put a strop around the boom to the mainsail so that the mainsheet loads are directly transferred to the sail, and only use the boom to support an outhaul adjustment

I like this idea a lot. Would I have just one loop/strop and pick one of the 3 holes in the clew plate, or have multiplier strops, one in each hole, to maintain the option of pull point? Or will the outhaul take the place of a clew traveller type arrangement, by adjusting foot tension and sail shape ?

Last edited by sierracat; 12/31/14 03:37 AM.
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #276850
12/31/14 07:12 AM
12/31/14 07:12 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I remember that the 5.2 used a short piece of 3/4" (roughly) square stainless tubing as a trunion. It had a pin through the top and a pin through the side that attached to stainless yoke fittings in the boom and the mast.

The boom fitting was a "U" shaped bent piece of stainless (15 gauge?) that had a large hole in the middle with a bolt (5/16"? maybe 1/4"?) that went through a plastic end cap in the end of the boom. That "U" shaped yoke could swivel on the bolt and swivel on the pin.

The mast had a fitting that riveted to it and made a yoke with the pin oriented in the vertical axis.

Really, though, gooseneck fittings are a dime a dozen...you could probably adapt just about anything from any sailboat.

Jake Kohl
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: Jake] #276851
12/31/14 11:04 AM
12/31/14 11:04 AM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
The boom fitting attachment and the tiller crossbar arm fittings were the same from what I remember from my 5.2

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #276853
12/31/14 06:19 PM
12/31/14 06:19 PM
J
JACKFLASH Offline
enthusiast
JACKFLASH  Offline
enthusiast
J

Just one strop. The out haul will determine the foot tension. It is important to note that the mainsheet should either pull straight down, or preferable slightly forward to induce rotation and to not pull the foot of the main flat.

Collin Casey
Infusion Platform + C2 rig and rags = one fast cookie
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: JACKFLASH] #276857
01/01/15 12:45 PM
01/01/15 12:45 PM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
Originally Posted by JACKFLASH
It is important to note that the mainsheet should either pull straight down, or preferable slightly forward to induce rotation and to not pull the foot of the main flat.

As in, my strop will probably go through the furthest aft of the three holes on the clew plate, pulling the boom towards the mast somewhat?

Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #276859
01/02/15 04:02 AM
01/02/15 04:02 AM
J
JACKFLASH Offline
enthusiast
JACKFLASH  Offline
enthusiast
J

Yes a slight inducing of forward pull to help promote mast rotation is a good thing. Too much however will bend a boom, even a two inch diameter one. If the bottom attachment point of the main sheet is between 1-2 inches forward of the hole in the main that should be about right. I know from experience that three inches will bend the boom.. When I say bend I don't mean catastrophic destruction, but rather a permanent bow.

Collin Casey
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: JACKFLASH] #276861
01/02/15 01:09 PM
01/02/15 01:09 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by JACKFLASH
Yes a slight inducing of forward pull to help promote mast rotation is a good thing. Too much however will bend a boom, even a two inch diameter one. If the bottom attachment point of the main sheet is between 1-2 inches forward of the hole in the main that should be about right. I know from experience that three inches will bend the boom.. When I say bend I don't mean catastrophic destruction, but rather a permanent bow.

Are you talking about a sail that is pinned to the boom at the clew separately from the mainsheet? If you put a strop around the boom and use that connect the mainsheet directly to the sail and only use the boom for outhaul, you shouldn't be able to bend the boom (I wouldn't think).

On the Nacra 20s I've owned, it was amazing how much we could bend that rectangular boom when sheeted hard (because the sail and the sheets were pinned at different places).

Jake Kohl
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: Jake] #276883
01/05/15 04:30 PM
01/05/15 04:30 PM
J
JACKFLASH Offline
enthusiast
JACKFLASH  Offline
enthusiast
J

I am talking the main attached to a strop which is attached to the clew. The boom simply runs through the strop. The out haul however does attach the boom to the sail and that connection is what allows forced rotation and bent/bowed booms.
One could argue the out haul needs to be eased a bit but I would disagree. When I noticed the first boom I assumed one of us had landed on it during a capsize. The second one had not been in a capsize before I noticed it was bowed.
In both cases the boom was/is still serviceable, it just bothered me that it wasn't straight.

Collin Casey
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: Jake] #276884
01/05/15 04:37 PM
01/05/15 04:37 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...

Thanks Jake,

Nothing says that the sail has to meet the boom at the goosneck...they could be three feet away and the boom angled upward if need-be...but, that takes up a good bit of real estate to get across the boat and having the boom up higher on the mast is definitely desirable.

BTW, sunfish masts will make an operable boom (or spin pole) and they're typically cheaper from a sunfish dealer than you can get the same extrusion from a metal wholesaler.

A Sunfish mast is a 2 1/4" section. Fairly heavy section. The booms are 1 1/2" and are used for spin poles and booms.

I made a boom using a 2" section. I found a aluminum cap that fit. It might have been from a Holder 14 boom. If you have access to a lathe you can make one easy enough. I got a shroud anchor bolt from a Hobie 18 or 16 and installed that in the cap. I had what is called a super goose which was for a Hobie 18 boom. This is an aluminum fitting that the eye of the shroud anchor bolt will fit perfectly. This same fitting attaches to the goose neck fitting on the mast. Simple and strong. I believe that fitting is still available from Murray's. Google "Hobie super goose" I will try to post a couple pic's if you like.

Have Fun
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #277490
02/08/15 03:57 AM
02/08/15 03:57 AM
N
NL_Expatriate Offline
stranger
NL_Expatriate  Offline
stranger
N

Hello while I am a newbie cat sailor. I do own an 18sq I think you are right in your assuming that you have a chopped down 18sq.

Mine was pretty much stock when I got her. Rectangular boom attached to bottom of 30' mast. Three pulleys attached inline on boom. Two torsion tubes running ontop of trampoline on either side.

I am curious if your booklets sail works though?

Also will you be adding a jib as the 18sq were unI'm because I would like to add one.

If you have any questions about the 18sq feel free to ask me.

Newbie with a NACRA 18 Squared. I think she is a 1973?
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #277698
02/23/15 03:01 AM
02/23/15 03:01 AM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
Hiya all,

If you have been following this, then the latest is that the tramp has been restitched (fingers crossed) and installed on the boat. The trailer is finished, except for lights, and the front upright for the mast (the rear upright is finished, and pivots down for boat unloading). Still need to paint my welds. Also need to remove what's left of the ancient hiking straps and install new ones (line through eyelets, with pipe insulation foam wrapped around them). Also had the upholstery guy make a simple pocket on the front of the tramp (the white thing in the pic) with a velcro closure, for stashing the main halyard and the righting line.

[img:left]http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery...p;g2_itemId=112991&g2_serialNumber=3[/img]

[img:left]http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery...p;g2_itemId=113033&g2_serialNumber=3[/img]

[img:left]http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery...p;g2_itemId=113034&g2_serialNumber=3[/img]

Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #277699
02/23/15 03:04 AM
02/23/15 03:04 AM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
Next step is working on the rudders. Rudder thread is here

Last edited by sierracat; 02/23/15 03:04 AM.
Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: NL_Expatriate] #277700
02/23/15 03:09 AM
02/23/15 03:09 AM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
Hi there,

I plan to add a boom, and have committed to it now because of the able I chose rear beam/traveller and where the eyelets for the tramp lacing have been attached.

I will not be adding jib. I wish it had a jib, but the more I've read and learned, it seems it's a lot of modification to do it properly and it can put a lot of pressure on the bows (especially older boats like mine with the chainplates on the outside of the hull). Better off just finding a 5.5SL or another type of boat.

Have fun with your 18sq. Pics?

Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #279289
05/29/15 04:59 PM
05/29/15 04:59 PM
California
S
sierracat Offline OP
sierracat  Offline OP
S

California
Finished! Maiden voyage last weekend was in very light winds, but enough to test everything out, and it went very well. Rigged quickly and without issue on the beach, and away we went. So happy to be done and looking forward to a great summer of sailing and exploring local lakes. Thanks everyone for you helpful input as I navigated this project.

Before: Dirty, damaged boat in pieces, as retrieved from a barn after sitting many years
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: NACRA 5.5 uni - project boat - damaged main beam [Re: sierracat] #279293
05/29/15 06:05 PM
05/29/15 06:05 PM
Panama City, Florida
Redtwin Offline
addict
Redtwin  Offline
addict

Panama City, Florida
Nice!

Rob V. Nacra 5.2 Panama City
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 420 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022