Looking out at a ft. of snow and - 0* F wind chill factor ,
thinking of sailing ,-and possibley putting together a Formula 20 version cat for the Tybee and Atlantic 1000 in May .
Currently own an I-20 ,--along with a SC 15,- H-18,-Mystral boards etc etc . The Inter 20 is 4 and has sailied two 1000 mile races and been back up boat in another ,-It has a new spin and jib but needs a new mainsail,
{at least 3 different people have gone through the main in capsizes including Gale while helming last year }
and has numerous patches and logos over repair areas , and was --is blown out .It also needs all stays wires ,-and a list of misc parts to a be viable platform for another 1000 mile race . This will be my 8th 1000 mile -{last year 500 mile} coastal race and understand that boat prep is a large part of it.
So ,in thinking through the options thought I might
[think out loud ]and potentially get some good info or added ideas here from other 20 sailors.
Basic rules can be found on the Tybee 500 site -
It states basic boats are limited but include F-18s or numerous types of 20s with {factory spin ?} and 8.5 beam .
Options would be to get a new 20 ,-hopefully with some dealer support to help reduce costs ,--most all are in the 15 K range. with added race costs this is tough ,-
Potential boats -Looking at a 20 ft version Arc 21 ,
-A H-Fox ,-H-20 - A Nacra 6/0 -Mystere20 ,Inter 20 new -or importing a EU 20 Ventilo or Storm .
Another option ,-purchase an existing used cat and modify it with new sails etc .
The ideal would be to find a hull type that would track well and be more seakindly ,have a reefable main ,-mid-pole snuffer , all the offshore safety set ups for distance racing and gear requirements and be indistructable in surf.

One thought is to take a Nacra 6/0 platform ,put improved larger rudders on it , and put the Inter 20 cf mast sail plan and rig on it , believe it would be a faster version than the I-20 in a number of conditions ,particularly light to mid air with waves and chop that is so often encountered on the Atlantic coast .
Any team could also accomplish this on any other platform mentioned ,each having their own advantages and disadvantages, The H-20 with its fine bows are excellent in waves and chop as would be a modified 8.5 beam Tornado platform , two very similar hull types.
The other option {less expensive } is to rework the old Inter ,-purchase a new main ,-add a reef system ,-replace everything ,-get some new rudders and added extra castings, add a mid pole snuffer , and run it again ,--though it would be a Formula 20 -having a reefable main ,and mid pole snuffer ,-not Inter class compliant --

In other words I,m wide open at this point in time for this years 1000 mile race and open to suggestions or ideas any may have with the race just 4 short months away .
I,m also looking for a team mate and gr crew for the 04 Atlantic 1000 race in May,-- currently .
Been out of the loop for a while but believe there will be a number of teams entered again this year of all types ,some racing 500 ,many the 1000 again .

Interested in any ideas or other teams efforts as well .
Think any of these boats or combination of boats and set ups mentioned would be very competitive in this tye of distance race ,I have no one brand special interest and have enjoyed sailing or testing most all mentioned .

It would be great to see future events run as Formula races ,that of course includes all brand types or combinations there-of within F-class specifications rules and basic measurements of L B W and sail area in Formula .

Race organizers currently face some potential problems with the huge inconsistancies in sail areas and basic rules between existing varied brand classes along with definitions like {Factory spin } -and one class that is allowed its own non factory version which is much larger in sq ft area,--Its fine ,but other boat types should be allowed the same if desired given similar boat weight and standard pin top main and other counterbalancing design features .
Would the lightweight HT version boats lke CFR or Marstom types be allowed in the Tybee Atlantic ? or would they require a min boat weight as Formula would require .
Is the lightweight 19 allowed ,--etc etc --etc ,--some tough rules questions may arise with these potential entries .
It seems inevitable that eventually a clear consistant fair equal set of basic boat rules and specs will be required for this type of event particularly.

Last edited by sail6000; 01/22/04 04:32 PM.