Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? #281061
11/10/15 09:19 AM
11/10/15 09:19 AM
wildtsail7 Offline OP
wildtsail7  Offline OP

Alright who's coming to the Steeplechase this year?
NOR and Registration

5 Boats so far including 4 F18s including one (Charles Tomeo) that has never done the race.
I've heard of a couple other F18s and a couple I-20s coming.

Who else?

I heard Tawd bought a Tornado but I've yet to see it!
I'm sure we'll see at least one, maybe two of the Royal boats?
Maybe Captain Kirk can come with the F20C?
Would love to see this at 20+ boats!!

This has been one of my favorite races for years, with the new format it's even better! No starting / finishing in shallows, great venues to start / finish at each day both with great bars!

Rick.. can you update the NOR for 2015 please? Still reads 2015.

Last edited by wildtsail7; 11/10/15 09:20 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: wildtsail7] #281066
11/10/15 07:40 PM
11/10/15 07:40 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by wildtsail7
NOR and Registration

5 Boats so far including 4 F18s including one (Charles Tomeo) that has never done the race.

Who else?

This has been one of my favorite races for years, with the new format it's even better! No starting / finishing in shallows, great venues to start / finish at each day both with great bars!

Tawd did buy a T ,but has yet to even sail it. (Big surprise, huh Ricky?). The Steeplechase is one of the main reasons I bought it. Not sure if I can make it this year though, resources are getting thin and until some work comes my way I'll be suspending much of my travelling races. If I can't make it I sure would appreciate race updates on here or FB.
Tawd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #281070
11/10/15 08:21 PM
11/10/15 08:21 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

Tawd did buy a T ,but has yet to even sail it. (Big surprise, huh Ricky?). The Steeplechase is one of the main reasons I bought it. Not sure if I can make it this year though, resources are getting thin and until some work comes my way I'll be suspending much of my travelling races. If I can't make it I sure would appreciate race updates on here or FB.
Tawd

Muma and Ding crush the fleet and make Ricky cry... that's the only update you need.

See you in January Dunebilly.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #281072
11/11/15 12:24 PM
11/11/15 12:24 PM
wildtsail7 Offline OP
wildtsail7  Offline OP

NOR and Registration

Who else?

Tawd

Same excuse every year!!

So how about our new southern area F18 rep stirring up some extra attendees?

Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: wildtsail7] #281073
11/11/15 02:38 PM
11/11/15 02:38 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

So how about our new southern area F18 rep stirring up some extra attendees?

He is working it and making progress.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: David Ingram] #281074
11/11/15 04:53 PM
11/11/15 04:53 PM
West Palm, Florida
G
Grandude Offline
Grandude  Offline
G

West Palm, Florida
In the past I have offered Duneberry everything from room and board, free beer, apple pie and pocket cash to get him to show up! He's lost his nerve.

Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: Grandude] #281077
11/12/15 10:45 AM
11/12/15 10:45 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
sh*t.. you had me at "free beer"... but my boat don't fit

Jay

Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: wildtsail7] #281317
12/07/15 03:12 PM
12/07/15 03:12 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Key Largo Steeplechase This Weekend
This weekend is the 31st running of the Steeplchase catamaran race. The two day event starts and ends in Islamorada, Florida and circumnavigates Key Largo and other Florida Keys. The first day starts at the Islander Resort on the ocean side of Islamorada to Angelfish Creek then over to the intercostal/Gulf of Mexico side of the keys continuing to the Upper Keys Sailing Club. The Second day continues to the Channel 5 bridge then back the Islander Resort for the Finish.

The weather forecast this weekend is supposed to be perfect for the race with wind predicted ENE at 10-15 mph Saturday, SE at 10-15 mph Sunday, 80 degree temperatures and a maximum of 20% chance of rain. This race is regularly attended by teams from the north seeking a break from the cold weather.

Saturday morning is the start, and the longer of the two days sailing northeast to Angelfish Creek. Navigation is pretty simple but a GPS is standard equipment. Through Angelfish Creek and down through Card Sound, under the bridge and across Barnes Sound. Card Sound Bridge offers great photo opportunity and many crews meet there to check on their teams. Jewfish Creek slows things down where teams can paddle and show skills that only the Steeplechase can teach. Past Gilbert’s and down Blackwater Sound, through Dusenbury Creek and into Tarpon Basin. Grouper Creek opens up into Buttonwood Sound and the final drag race into the Upper Keys Sailing Club.

Sunday morning start with course southwest and through the maze of flats and channels. Under the Channel 5 Bridge, make a left turn and sail northeast for an hour or so to finish back at the Islander. Drink cold beer, break the boats down and tell stories until Rick hands out awards.

Finishing the Steeplechase has always been an award in itself for me. It’s a physical and mental challenge, yet a refreshing retreat into some beautifully scenic sailing that is the Florida Keys. The Keys are unique and diverse and the Steeplechase puts you through all of it.

Although dominated by spinnaker boats like the I20, F18 and the ARC 22, the race has been completed by Hobie 16's as well. You will find highly skilled seasoned veterans on this race, but the average sailor can also test their limits in the protected waters of the Florida Keys. Set your pace and settle into your groove, smart navigation and persistence will pay, sometimes big time.

Because the Portsmouth ratings have not been updated in the past five years, SCHRS (www.SCHRS.com) rating system will be used for this event. Please register as soon as possible so the race committee can work on handicaps.

Tracking is available via Kattack Mobile smartphone app and can be downloaded for free. SPOT Messenger can also be used, just set up a shared page and email the page address to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..">info@sailseries.com.

The Steeplechase is the final race of the Endurance Series and each day counts separately for points. The 2015 awards ceremony will be held at the Florida 300 Awards in May. For more information about the Endurance Series and Sail Series Promotions, please check out www.SailSeries.com and "Like" www.Facebook.com/sailseries.

EVENT LINKS:
Catsailor.com >>>
Online Registration >>>
Who's Coming >>>
Tracking >>>
Mobile Tracking >>>

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: cyberspeed] #281339
12/08/15 03:19 PM
12/08/15 03:19 PM

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

Can I get an explanation regarding how SCHRS is going to be implemented please?

According to the SCHRS website:
"To be permitted to race, unlisted boats shall provide a Rating Certificate recognised by the ISAF (SCHRS) as described below."

The Marstrom 20 isn't on the rating list. I looked at the rules which state:

"The request for a Rating Certificate should be made by the owner, on the form which is downloadable from the SCHRS website. It must be completed and signed by a measurer recognized by the ISAF or a National Authority and must be sent by e-mail in pdf format to the Technical Committee of SCHRS. It is helpful (but not necessary) if a copy of the calculator is also attached.

Within fifteen days after receiving the request form, correctly completed and signed by a measurer, the Technical Committee will send the "Individual Rating Certificate " to the owner, with a copy to the measurer"

I'm afraid we don't have enough time to get a cert. I would be happy to print the form out from the SCHRS website and bring it to the race if there is an ISAF or recognized National Authority measurer there.

Are all the boats without a current cert going to be measured as well? I also emailed SCHRS asking the best way for us to proceed without a valid certification.

Thanks in advance for your explanation!

Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: wildtsail7] #281340
12/08/15 03:25 PM
12/08/15 03:25 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
What's an 18SM-1 ?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: wildtsail7] #281341
12/08/15 03:34 PM
12/08/15 03:34 PM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Hi,
Dave Ingram will be at the Islander on Friday and can work with you on measuring your boat/sails, weigh the boat and give you a rating for the event. If you can get us as many of the measurements for the boat/sails ahead of time, that would be less work required at the islander.

He is also working with Eric Roberts (ARC 22) and Ralph Cole (G-Cat 6.1) on getting getting ratings for those boats as well.

Dave Ingram might contact you directly and I will be working with Rick White on scoring the race to make it as smoothe as possible.

As I am sure you already know, the Portsmouth system has not been updated in at least five years. We appreciate any help and for working with us on implementing this transparent system.

Feel free to call me directly at 561.371.2663 if you want to discuss.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #281342
12/08/15 03:35 PM
12/08/15 03:35 PM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

What's an 18SM-1 ?

Ralph Cole is sailing the same G-Cat 6.1 he sailed in Hiram's Haul. It is the ex Worrell 1000 boat with a new set of sails.

Larry Furber is probably racing his N-20 and I am guessing the 18SM-1 is probably the default value for the form.

Last edited by cyberspeed; 12/08/15 03:47 PM.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: wildtsail7] #281346
12/08/15 09:33 PM
12/08/15 09:33 PM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Steeplechase Update:
With the Key Largo Steeplechase just days away, there are a lot of late entries bringing the field up to 13 boats with more last minute entries expected. There is an interesting mix of boats with six Formula 18's, three Nacra 20's, two Marstrom 20's, one G-Cat 6.1 and an ARC 22. A great mixture of boats which should make for a great race.

Unfortunately most of the late entries do not have a SCHRS ratings and need to be measured to be accurately scored. Due to the time constraints and the late registration of so many boats that are not SCHRS rated, we are switching back to the Portsmouth rating system for the Key Largo Steeplechase. We hated making the move but we did not want the ratings system to interfere with the race.

The updated weather forecast is also changing to make for a faster race with winds predicted to be 10-20 mph both days and only a 30% chance of rain forecasted for Sunday.

For more information about the Endurance Series and Sail Series Promotions, please check out www.SailSeries.com and "Like" www.Facebook.com/sailseries.

EVENT LINKS:
Catsailor.com >>>
Online Registration >>>
Who's Coming >>>
Tracking >>>
Mobile Tracking >>>

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: Steeplechase December 12-13.. Who's Coming? [Re: wildtsail7] #281357
12/09/15 01:09 PM
12/09/15 01:09 PM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

HM Steiger looking for experienced crew to do Steeplechase on his N-20. Let me know.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022