01/30/16 04:45 PM
01/30/16 04:45 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

So as not to hijack/dilute the N17 discussion in the other thread, I'll star a new one. Please chime in with questions and opinions...

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by brucat
Mendelblatts got the Q in the last race yesterday. Some interesting protests in other classes too:

http://www.sailing.org/worldcup/protest-summary.php

Mike

While that reads as a clear port/stb violation, in other situations can the Stb boat still draw a foul if "hunting" the port boat?

Also:

The protest/redress results are great. Not much in the way of detail/testimony, but having worked with some I Judges, and sat in on a few I Juries, there is a definite difference in approach to OCS redress hearings.

Basically, unless it's an obvious screwup (which a good RO would likely catch and fix outside of the room), most testimony, witnesses and video would put you in the vicinity of the line, and the judgement of the line judge will typically be accepted as not an error.

As is becoming more common in major international events, the I Jury alluded to this in the notice to sailors before the start of the regatta.

Essentially, unless your witness or video puts you in Toledo at the start, don't waste your time after listening to the tape.

This is a great development, as it significantly cuts down on the frivolous "it's worth a shot" redress hearings at big regattas.

I point it out here, because I think it's something we can all learn from when being asked to serve on a jury (or if tempted to push it to the room "just because it's worth a shot").

Granted, the RC teams at these events tend to be higher caliber, and no one is perfect...

Thoughts/other cases raising questions for you?

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 01/30/16 04:53 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Protest/Redress/Rules Lessons from Miami OCR [Re: brucat] #281751
01/31/16 12:22 PM
01/31/16 12:22 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
What I found interesting was how the role of the OCR being a selection event for the US sailors has an impact on the game by influencing your judgement and actions on the water.

Watching the medal race video... there are two or three close P/S crosses. In each case starboard bears off and takes ports stern. So... the usual culture of the game, keeps the traffic going smoothly... No protests involved. So.. there is an expectation in how the pro's play the game...

until two US boats can't agree on a cross and Protest and DSQ results. Did the selection process screw up the normal expectations game?

For the Gary haters... Gary Jobson, being the keelboat monohull sailor that he is..., explains this as... Oh... perhaps Starboard did not want port tacking underneath and waved them through. rather then tack and lee bow starbord.

So...is it a culture of expectations in the pro level olympic fleet ... Or actual signaling of cross/no cross?

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 01/31/16 12:24 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Protest/Redress/Rules Lessons from Miami OCR [Re: brucat] #281752
01/31/16 04:55 PM
01/31/16 04:55 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Lee bow. On a cat. Fail, fail, fail...

Mike

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 676 guests, and 105 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022