02/03/16 05:24 PM
02/03/16 05:24 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline OP
veteran
tback  Offline OP
veteran

Orlando, FL
Two boats (A & B) are finishing downwind, both on Port Tack, AW is Clear Astern of BL but approaching to pass windward of BL. Both boats are outside the 3 boat length circle of the committee boat and no overlap exists (yet--in fact, BL was inside the circle before the overlap existed)

Question: Can boat BL bring up AW?

AW claimed room-at-the-mark (ie the committee boat)

USA 777
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rules Question: Finishing [Re: tback] #281780
02/03/16 05:54 PM
02/03/16 05:54 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Not sure if I totally follow you, but if there is no overlap when the first boat reaches the zone, the second boat cannot claim mark room, even if an overlap happens later (unless they leave the zone, of course, then it's a separate series of events).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: Rules Question: Finishing [Re: tback] #281782
02/03/16 07:12 PM
02/03/16 07:12 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Hypothetically speaking, if the two boats are outside the zone, then:
  • Rule 18 does not apply.
  • Because BL did not establish overlap to leeward within two of her hull lengths from clear astern (she was clear ahead), Rule 17 does not apply either. BL may sail above her proper course (i.e. she may take AW up).

When the first boat reaches the zone:
  • BL is clear ahead. Per Rule 18.2(b), AW must give BL mark-room. AW is NOT entitled to mark-room.
  • Mark-room includes (in part) "Room to sail to the mark when her proper course is to sail close to it...". If it is BL's proper course to pass next to the committee boat, and BL tries to do so but AW sails in between the two, then AW breaks Rule 18.2(b).
  • If it is NOT BL's proper course to sail to the committee boat, she still MAY do so (remember, BL is not limited by Rule 17) provided:
    • When BL changes course, she must give AW room to keep clear per Rule 16.1.
    • If BL lets AW get in between her and the committee boat, BL cannot turn AW into it. This is analogous to "closing the door" on a boat that is barging at the start.
  • Provided BL "closes the door" in time, or if her proper course is to sail next to the committee boat, and she has to bear away to avoid AW, then AW also breaks Rule 11.

BL is in a controlling position here, and has multiple options to defend her lead. If she does none of them, and lets AW in, then "room freely given may be freely taken".

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Rules Question: Finishing [Re: tback] #281783
02/03/16 07:54 PM
02/03/16 07:54 PM
S
srm Offline
enthusiast
srm  Offline
enthusiast
S

I agree with the above. If no overlap exists prior to reaching the 3 boat length circle, then AW is not entitled to mark room. However, one thing to keep in mind is that if BL changes her course to luff AW (i.e., heads up) prior to reaching the 3 boat circle, it is possible that she could inadvertently create an overlap with AW in which case she would have to give AW mark room.

Typically, if a boat clear ahead is being threatened by a boat clear astern trying to pass to windward when approaching the leeward mark (or finish line), the best tactic for the clear ahead boat is to bear away just before the 3 boat circle in order to ensure no overlap exists. Once it has been established that no overlap exists at the 3 boat circle, the leeward boat can head up to shoot the mark and close the door on the boat clear astern.

sm

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022