03/04/16 12:14 PM
03/04/16 12:14 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

After last night's debate Trump would claim he has the biggest boat.

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: David Ingram] #282078
03/04/16 02:46 PM
03/04/16 02:46 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Staying with the theme and the spin that comes with political elections... yes that is MacGregor, the rest is heavily exagerated.

lol! Those definitely are not 18 foot seas and it certainly isn't 50 mph breeze. ;-)

Jake Kohl
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Jake] #282082
03/04/16 07:45 PM
03/04/16 07:45 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Jake

Staying with the theme and the spin that comes with political elections... yes that is MacGregor, the rest is heavily exagerated.

lol! Those definitely are not 18 foot seas and it certainly isn't 50 mph breeze. ;-)

Marketing at its best.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Jake] #282088
03/05/16 05:41 PM
03/05/16 05:41 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Originally Posted by northsea junkie

Compared to my country this process in the US of the formation of a new government looks more simple and straight forward.
But IMHO, what is happening now with these two candidates, shows me an unexpected downside of this sytem.

Bah. yeah. Your choice is a really small choice of candidates and a dysfunctional government or a wide choice of candidates and a dysfunctional government.

IMHO, our biggest problem is that it takes a ton of money to get elected and then those that are elected act in favor of those that gave them money (otherwise, they don't get the money and don't get elected next time). "Freewill" of the people in the modern democracy is somewhat of an illusion - and then sometimes the freewill of the people can be pretty shocking. I'm not sure which is worse sometimes. We can depend on the people with the money to act in their own best interest...

Jake, while I agree with what you stated here;

Trump is using his own money, not any donors, etc.
You knew that, right?

Our system is co corrupt- if Billary were a Repo- she would already have been tried and in jail. But because she's a Demo-
with the intelligence of our voting public- she'll probably win.
4-8 more years-
of striving for mediocrity.

And- to stay in the theme-
Billary would be sailing a Wave. (Lacks performance, very forgiving hulls, Sunfish style rigging, etc.)
Ted would be on a N20 with flight control (precise skippering)
and Donald would be on a SC22. (It's going to be great)
Marco would be on a H18magnum. (Solid, with the wings to taunt others boats from)
Bernie would be on a Sunfish (Well, it's a sailboat- and the only one everyone should have; or course- it'll be free!)

And it kills me when those from other countries think by getting their slive of the media- they act as if they no amnything about a candidate overseas.
TonyF18- would be sailing 2-up, with Bernie on his Sunfish!

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Todd_Sails] #282093
03/06/16 04:35 AM
03/06/16 04:35 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails
And it kills me when those from other countries think by getting their slive of the media- they act as if they no amnything about a candidate overseas.

Don't kill yourself Todd.

In this time of internet we, I, can read in fact all the same media which you have in the US. Not media slives.

It's only the slang: "they no amnything" which I have difficulty with to understand. And ofcourse the endless number of abbreviations like TLC, BS, etc.
(I recently detected a special site for that: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=calling+bs )

But what I do miss, is the actual physical US-environment, people talking in the street, buildings, actual US-living. So the interpretation and validation of all this US media news is tricky for me. Hence my posts.

Todd, you are an outspoken right-wing man on a forum which has probably a majority of Demos. So I guess each election time is a hard(ish) time for you.

Cheer up.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: northsea junkie] #282095
03/06/16 07:21 AM
03/06/16 07:21 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

"Todd, you are an outspoken right-wing man on a forum which has probably a majority of Demos. So I guess each election time is a hard(ish) time for you."

I believe you are way off about the majority. It would be interesting to know how you determined your assertion.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: RickWhite] #282096
03/06/16 08:41 AM
03/06/16 08:41 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
That's an interesting issue, you mention here Rick.

Must confess it was an assumption, based on intuition combined with reading the forumposts for almost 7 years.
You say,I'm way off, so that makes me really wonder about the actual division.

Don't dare to ask, but a poll on this forum would be interesting.
Though it would be totally wrong. (Politics, but also religion and everything regarding sex are touchy subjects).

I'm quite sure that at least regarding these last matters, there is a difference in openness between the Netherlands and the US.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: northsea junkie] #282097
03/06/16 09:02 AM
03/06/16 09:02 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Agree with Rick, this is a very right leaning forum. The demographic here is old, white and male, not much diversity, old white guys tend be very republican or whatever Trump is.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: David Ingram] #282098
03/06/16 09:16 AM
03/06/16 09:16 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Agree with Rick, this is a very right leaning forum. The demographic here is old, white and male, not much diversity, old white guys tend be very republican or whatever Trump is.

That's kinda hard to assess though, isn't it? The right tends to shout a lot louder, with a good bit more anger, and it makes them seem like there are more of them.

And Trump? Authoritarian. I've been reading a good bit of political science research on how Authoritarianism has been on the rise in the US. Historically speaking, when you bring together a series of social changes (health care, LBGT rights, etc.) and physical threats (terrorism) you see a rise in authoritarianism. The physical threat aspect can make people that don't naturally lean toward authoritarian to trend strongly in that direction. There are several examples of it in history around the world. Since the democratic party redefined itself as a party of social change back in the 70's, most of the authoritarianist shuffled toward the republican side and they're starting to define that group now that they've been ignited by the recent factors I listed above. The fear mongering trend has also given rise to that group as well. There's a bit of irony in that when Cruz and Rubio (and Fox News) do anything like fear mongering, they're actually inciting people toward an authoritarian figure like Trump.

Jake Kohl
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Jake] #282099
03/06/16 10:16 AM
03/06/16 10:16 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

That's kinda hard to assess though, isn't it? The right tends to shout a lot louder, with a good bit more anger, and it makes them seem like there are more of them.

And Trump? Authoritarian. I've been reading a good bit of political science research on how Authoritarianism has been on the rise in the US. Historically speaking, when you bring together a series of social changes (health care, LBGT rights, etc.) and physical threats (terrorism) you see a rise in authoritarianism. The physical threat aspect can make people that don't naturally lean toward authoritarian to trend strongly in that direction. There are several examples of it in history around the world. Since the democratic party redefined itself as a party of social change back in the 70's, most of the authoritarianist shuffled toward the republican side and they're starting to define that group now that they've been ignited by the recent factors I listed above. The fear mongering trend has also given rise to that group as well. There's a bit of irony in that when Cruz and Rubio (and Fox News) do anything like fear mongering, they're actually inciting people toward an authoritarian figure like Trump.

Agree point one! Point two, I'm going sailing, this potential reality is making me anxious.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Todd_Sails] #282100
03/06/16 08:03 PM
03/06/16 08:03 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Todd_Sails
Jake, while I agree with what you stated here;

Trump is using his own money, not any donors, etc.
You knew that, right?

Our system is co corrupt- if Billary were a Repo- she would already have been tried and in jail. But because she's a Demo-
with the intelligence of our voting public- she'll probably win.
4-8 more years-
of striving for mediocrity.

And- to stay in the theme-
Billary would be sailing a Wave. (Lacks performance, very forgiving hulls, Sunfish style rigging, etc.)
Ted would be on a N20 with flight control (precise skippering)
and Donald would be on a SC22. (It's going to be great)
Marco would be on a H18magnum. (Solid, with the wings to taunt others boats from)
Bernie would be on a Sunfish (Well, it's a sailboat- and the only one everyone should have; or course- it'll be free!)

TonyF18- would be sailing 2-up, with Bernie on his Sunfish!

Where have you been Todd? Wandering the Walmart tunnels? Did you get a t-shirt for your troubles?

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: David Ingram] #282101
03/06/16 09:42 PM
03/06/16 09:42 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn

Groan.

The republican party is on the right? When did that happen? Last I knew they loved wasting money.

I'm boatless.
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Karl_Brogger] #282106
03/07/16 07:22 AM
03/07/16 07:22 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

THey all do

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Jeff Peterson] #282107
03/07/16 07:52 AM
03/07/16 07:52 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Best line I ever heard, "A Republican is just a Democrat....with a JOB!"

Once you start paying taxes, in ever increasing amounts, and see a whole bunch of -non- tax payers sitting around getting free stuff, while you bust your butt to pay for it, all of a sudden, free stuff isn't so free. Why are people who do not pay any income tax, allowed to vote for someone who promises them more free stuff? Back in the beginning, you had to be a land owner to vote. Now over 50% of voters don't even pay income tax!

A long time ago I read a really funny (in a sad way) book called Parliament of Whores, by PJ O'Rourke. Very good look at how American politicians are 'paid' by the lobbies. And another good book about American politics, by Lou Dobbs, "Independents Day", goes deep into how much money is flying around in DC, paying our politicians millions from the 42,000 registered lobby groups. And that's just the registered groups.

This may be the first year I don't bother wasting my time to vote. I can't support either Trump or Hillary. It's pretty sad that in this great country, those two are the 'Best we can do'.

Blade F16
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Timbo] #282108
03/07/16 09:22 AM
03/07/16 09:22 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Timbo

Why do some people open a position intended to persuade/inform with an insult? Is to make sure only like minded individuals read your post?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Jake] #282109
03/07/16 10:04 AM
03/07/16 10:04 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL

+1 maybe 12 ft seas.. At 50kt winds, it's more of a white squall, no?

Looks like reaching with a deep reef main and rolled up jib... Maybe 25 kts?

Jay

Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: waterbug_wpb] #282110
03/07/16 10:21 AM
03/07/16 10:21 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
To Ronald's point I don't hear much "talk on the street" about politics.

Sure, there are some folk who love to talk about it to anyone who will listen, but some decorum still lingers in society that limits this for the most part.

The media tends toward the sensational, thereby forcing those who wish to gain media attention to become "sensational". Those pragmatic, collaborative, and open-minded candidates quickly get marginalized because it just doesn't make for good TV.

Very similar to the developments in "reality" TV. Take "the Bachelor" as an extreme example. Originally this show paid counselors and psychologists to evaluate the candidates prior to their appearance as contestants to determine their ability to deal with the various challenges (notoriety ,failure on the national scene, etc). They actually weeded out those with mental conditions that were deemed too extreme.

Now, those same TV producers actually review the evaluations and SELECT those candidates the professionals deemed unacceptable (violent tempers, vindictive behavior, binge personalities, OCD types) because it draws way more viewers.

In a final opinion of the irony, most realistic citizens choose NOT to run for political office for the very reasons they complain is wrong with the current system... We all want an "outsider" who won't pander to the rich... Well, the rich are putting an "insider" in the mix who is going to bury that outsider...

That's like asking for a PRO who's never judged your fleet and seen the (legal) tricks that some use to gain... We all shun the "snake in the grass" but we want one on our side when it comes to getting stuff done.

Watch that Netflix "House of Cards" series. It really looks believable.

Jay

Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: David Ingram] #282111
03/07/16 07:49 PM
03/07/16 07:49 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by Timbo

Why do some people open a position intended to persuade/inform with an insult? Is to make sure only like minded individuals read your post?

Butthurt, table for one?

I'm boatless.
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: Jeff Peterson] #282112
03/07/16 10:45 PM
03/07/16 10:45 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
I have Hillary sailing a Submarine. Torpedoing anything in her way and hiding from the consequences.

Trump on the Maltese Falcon because it's "Huge".

Bernie will be on what ever boat he could borrow for the weekend.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: If Presidential Candidates Were Sailors... [Re: F-18 5150] #282116
03/08/16 09:37 AM
03/08/16 09:37 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by F-18 5150

Bernie will be on what ever boat he could borrow for the weekend.

Wait, if we're socialist, then isn't every boat for everyone? So he technically won't have to "borrow" one?

Jay

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022