Untitled Document

SHOP OUR STOREREAD OUR BLOGFOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Great Tips for All Boaters

Tip on Docking Your Boat
Hope you don't think just because the left side of your boat is called the "Port Side" that you always should dock with that side toward the pier. There are several reasons why you should dock on one side or the other, but here is the most important:
Almost always and almost without fail you should first determine the direction of the wind and/or current before deciding which side should go to the pier. Whichever is the strongest determines the direction into which your bow should be pointing.
For example, if the wind is blowing lightly from left to right across the dock, but the current is roaring from right to left, you would want to approach with your bow into the current and dock to the port side. That is because the current is stronger than the wind.
To determine which is strongest just park in idle off the dock and see which way the boat wants to go. If you see that the forces of wind and current push you from right to left across a dock, plan your approach from left to right, with your bow into the strongest force.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A customer emailed asking if we had beach wheels for a Hobie Wave. I replied indeed we did. I suggested the Cat Trax with cradles. Additionally, I suggested that for any single-handed boat you also invest a little more and get the handle, which attaches to the middle of the axle. This way you merely push the cradles under the boat by pushing the handle. Otherwise, you would be going to one side of the boat, pushed the cradles under a little way, then traversing to the other side of the boat and doing the same, then back and forth several times.
Additional tip: The handle comes with bearings. After mounting the bearing allow the cradles to always remain upside down due to gravity. Simply set the cradles where you want them and drill through the handle attachment and the axle and put a nut and bolt through. Cradles then stay right side up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Great Tips for Racing Sailors

You are Approaching the Leeward Mark (3rd in a Series about Mark Roundings) From the last two issues remember there are Five Musts to anticipate when entering the leeward mark rounding. They are:

1) Prepare
2) Remember the Inside Overlap Mark Rounding Rule
3) Watch for the Pinwheel Effect
4) Slow Down to Win
5) Enter Wide, Exit Close.

Cmark1_Aug05Dia1Last month we began talking about the Inside Overlap Rounding Rule, and now we want to continue our discussion about that rule.

Now that you know what an overlap is we want to be sure you know when that overlap must occur. There is an imaginary, circular line that is three boat-lengths out from the mark, referred to in the rules as the “three length zone.” An overlap must be established before and as the boats are crossing the line to that zone. (See Diagram 1).

In Diagram 1 the white boat to the inside of our hero has established an overlap as they enter the three length zone and therefore is allowed inside mark rounding room by the our hero in the gray boat.

Cmark1_Aug05Dia2 In another scenario (See Diagram 2), the inside white boat does not establish the overlap before the hero in the gray boat crosses the three length zone. Now, our hero does NOT have to allow the white boat room at the mark.

There is much more to discuss about Mark Rounding Rules, so stay tuned for more in the next issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We all love our multihulls. However, one of the problems is the designs have to use Trampolines for the most part to keep the weight down -- that is why they are faster than our monohull friends.
But, tramps deteriorate in the sun and replacement or repair is normally done quite often.
CAUTION: Do not wait until late winter or early spring. OnLineMarineStore.com has a good number of trampoline manufacturers, but at that time of the year they are swamped. Remember the old Adage: Poor planning and procrastination on your part do not make an Emergency on my part.
At OnLineMarineStore we can make tramps for all beach catamarans/multihulls and almost all cruising catamarans/multihulls.

CaptNoahTallBlogHeader

Dear Captain Noah,
My wife and I used to race our Hobie 16 and did very well. Back when we did well we were just above the minimum weight of 285. Seems that the years have added weight to our bodies and when attempting to race again, we were at the back of the fleet.
In your awesome wisdom, do you have a way we can get back to our youthful, slim weights?
Please Help, Am Trying

Dear PHAT,
I want you to know I do have the answer to your problem. And I just recently discovered this amazing way to lose. I don’t know WHY I didn’t figure this out sooner, but it is all in your Shampoo.
Yes! I said Shampoo!
I use shampoo in the shower. When I wash my hair, the shampoo runs down my whole, entire body.., and Printed very clearly on the shampoo label is this warning:
“FOR EXTRA BODY AND VOLUME.”
No wonder I have been gaining weight!
Well! I have gotten rid of that shampoo and I am going to start showering with Dawn Dish Detergent instead. Its label reads:
‘DISSOLVES FAT THAT IS OTHERWISE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE.”
Problem solved!
Capt. Noah

Thought for the Month:
Why is it that Board (Bored sp?) Meetings Save Minutes, but waste Hours?

For 20 years the Rick White Sailing Seminars ran racing/sailing clinics throughout the world. They also had nearly 50 World Class sailors come in as guest experts. Rick says, "I listened to every thing these guys said. I let it all go in one ear.., then plugged the other one!"
Consequently, there is wealth of racing/sailing knowledge in Rick's Sailing Seminar DVD. List price is $149.95, but the price has been slashed to only $99.95, a 33% reduction and a saving of $49.80
Learn 1. Total Boat Handling; 2. the Catamaran Roll Tack; 3. How to have Great Starts and Finishes; 3. How to have Great Mark Roundings; 5. Get Fast Downwind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SHOP OUR STOREREAD OUR BLOGFOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

(You are receiving this newsletter because you are subscribed to the Catsailor.com Forum, or to the OnlineMarineStore.com Blog. To ensure you do not miss future emails from us, please add rick@catsailor.com to your safe sender list. This informative newsletter is only sent twice per month and will not clog up your inbox…we promise!) To unsubscribe click here.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com