RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Untitled Document

SHOP OUR STOREREAD OUR BLOGFOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Great Tips for All Boaters

How to Handle Squalls and Storms First, do not purposely go to sea when storms are forecasted. However, if you are caught in a squall or heavy seas, you should immediately slack off in your speed and try to keep the bow into or at a small angle to the wind and waves. Everyone should also be wearing Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs). In a sailboat you need to keep the sail as flat as possible and sheeted in just enough to make way, being sure not to get into irons in the process. Don't try to blast through waves or speed in order to get to safety – that is sure to make things worse. Take the seas smoothly as possible Be sure to not let any water accumulate in your boat as that will make the boat unstable. Be sure to bail out any waves that break into the boat. If your power fails, try to jury-rig some sort of sea anchor to the bow in order to keep the bow into the wind and waves. You can use almost anything on the boat that would cause drag, i.e., a tackle box, a bunch of line, cushions, etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Have problems launching your boat at the beach? Wheels digging into the sand? Tired of asking others to help you on the beach or the launching ramp? Or even if not struggling with a boat and you simply want to take the family to the beach, but there is so much stuff you have to lug down there? We have solved these problems! Cat Trax and Wheeleez have answers to all your launching and beach woes! Click on those hotlinks to see all of their great products

Great Tips for Racing Sailors

You are Approaching the Leeward Mark (7th in a Series about Mark Roundings)
From the last several issues remember there are Five Musts to anticipate when entering the leeward mark rounding. They are:
1) Prepare
2) Remember the Inside Overlap Mark Rounding Rule
3) Watch for the Pinwheel Effect
4) Slow Down to Win
5) Enter Wide, Exit Close.
You are Approaching the Leeward Mark (Sixth in a Series about Mark Roundings) Last month we continued talking about the Inside Overlap Rounding Rule, but now we want to move on the Item 3, Watching for CmarkPinWhlExtraDistancethe Pinwheel Effect..
Keeping in mind the inside overlap rule, in Diagram A, you can see that our Hero in Boat A appeared to be in pretty good shape coming into the pin. But, now he must give all those boats room at the mark. In the last issue we showed how our hero went from close to the lead to dead last because he sailed on the outside of the pinwheel. See Diagram 1.
To ascertain not going on the outside of the Pinwheel, he must “Slow Down to Win.” And that is our emphasis in this issue.
Oversheet the sail(s), sit on the back of the boat, jam the rudders back and forth to put on the brakes, veer way out and in and out, and/or whatever it takes to slow the boat down. Everything you did to make the boat go fast.., now do the opposite.
Then, after the fleet goes by, “Enter Wide and Exit Close.”
Keep in mind that in doing this CMarkPinWhlSloToWinmaneuver you have no rights. Wait and watch for a hole to open up and punch into. See Diagram 2.
Now the Hero Boat is in much better position than if he had sailed the outside of the Pinwheel.

Here is why he is better shape:
1) He is in clear air
2) He has options – if his mark rounding allowed him to be high enough that he was not being backwinded, he could go straight; or he could tack away to clear air.
3) He has not slowly sailed a lot of extra distance.., a longer course.

This is by far the best way to handle the leeward mark rounding. Many times I have seen a boat come into the C Mark nearly last and, with a good mark rounding, take the lead.

Stay tuned in the next issue when we will talk more about “Slowing Down to Win and Entering Wide and Exiting Close.”

We all love our multihulls. However, one of the problems is the designs have to use Trampolines for the most part to keep the weight down -- that is why they are faster than our monohull friends.
But, tramps deteriorate in the sun and replacement or repair is normally done quite often.
CAUTION: Do not wait until late winter or early spring. OnLineMarineStore.com has a good number of trampoline manufacturers, but at that time of the year they are swamped.
Remember the old Adage: Poor planning and procrastination on your part do not make an Emergency on my part.
At OnLineMarineStore we can make tramps for all beach catamarans/multihulls and almost all cruising catamarans/multihulls.

CaptNoahTallBlogHeader

Dear Capt. Noah,
I'm writing this slow 'cause I know you can't read fast. I am a monohull sailor that got into cats in the past year, but am getting out fast. You guys are bunch of dumbies without a clue as to what is going on. It’s back to the elite sailors for me.
Good bye,
Mad at Cat Sailors

Dear Macs,
Don’t know where you got that impression about cat sailors. They are the salt of the earth. For example, here are 15 things you won’t here a cat sailor say:
15) I'll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex.
14) Duct tape won't fix that.
13) Come to think of it, I'll have a Heineken.
12) Honey, did you mail that donation to Greenpeace?
11) We're vegetarians.
10) Do you think my gut is too big?
9) Who's Hobie Alter?
8) I just couldn't find a thing at West Marine today.
7) The sail on that cat is too big.
6) I've got two cases of Zima for the Super Bowl.
5) Checkmate.
4) She's too young to be wearing a bikini.
3) Does the salad bar have bean sprouts?
2) Those shorts ought to be a little longer, Darla.
1) Nope, no more beer for me. I'm drivin’ tonight.
And I have tell you this great success story. There was this young man in our fleet who said he wanted to become a great writer. He said, “I want to write stuff that the whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a truly emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, howl in pain and anger!
Well, he went on and has reached his goal – he now works for Microsoft writing Error Messages!
Capt Noah

Thought of the Month:
If it’s true that we are here to help others.., then what exactly are the others here for?

Are you tired of boats passing you; tired of watching the sterns of your competitors; tired of getting left in the dust at the starts; tired of going into irons on a lot of tacks; tired of jamming the jib sheet almost every tack; tired of having to time your tacks with a calendar; tired of losing boats at the finish line; tired of losing boats at every mark?

We have solved this!

CD 12CM Silkscreen.pdfFor 20 years the Rick White Sailing Seminars ran racing/sailing clinics throughout the world. They also had nearly 50 World Class sailors come in as guest experts. Rick says, "I listened to every thing these guys said. I let it all go in one ear.., then plugged the other one!
Consequently, there is wealth of racing/sailing knowledge in Rick's Sailing Seminar DVD
List price is $149.95, but the price has been slashed to only $99.95, a 33% reduction and a saving of $49.80
Learn 1. Total Boat Handling; 2. the Catamaran Roll Tack; 3. How to have Great Starts and Finishes; 3. How to have Great Mark Roundings; 5. Get Fast Downwind.

SHOP OUR STOREREAD OUR BLOGFOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

(You are receiving this newsletter because you are subscribed to the Catsailor.com Forum, or to the OnlineMarineStore.com Blog. To ensure you do not miss future emails from us, please add rick@catsailor.com to your safe sender list. This informative newsletter is only sent twice per month and will not clog up your inbox…we promise!) To unsubscribe click here.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Aug 1 Blog: Sailing a Storm; Part 7 C Mark; Capt Noah [Re: RickWhite] #283194
08/02/16 04:25 AM
08/02/16 04:25 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Rick, with regard to storm tips I miss the heaving-to.

In my experience the most easiest way to create calmness in heavy seas.
You can create heaving-to by letting go your mainsheet and forcing the jib to the other side with the jib-sheet.

Personaly I always jibe for that purpose and let the jib stay on the wrongside.
It has becoming my automatic rest-moment after each turn. ( I never tack!)

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Aug 1 Blog: Sailing a Storm; Part 7 C Mark; Capt Noah [Re: northsea junkie] #283195
08/02/16 06:52 AM
08/02/16 06:52 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Yes, good thing to do. Some boats don't heave to very well, however.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Aug 1 Blog: Sailing a Storm; Part 7 C Mark; Capt Noah [Re: RickWhite] #283201
08/03/16 12:35 PM
08/03/16 12:35 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

That diagram is priceless. So many people (me included at times) want to sail on port to the right-hand gate (looking upwind), to save a maneuver. That's probably OK against one or two boats, but is a self-inflicted killer in large fleets.

Mike

Re: Aug 1 Blog: Sailing a Storm; Part 7 C Mark; Capt Noah [Re: RickWhite] #283216
08/04/16 10:23 PM
08/04/16 10:23 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
There are situations when it is a good idea to be on the outside of the pinwheel and then foot to the right side, such as: current; wind shift; better wind / water conditions; skewed finish line on a short weather leg, etc.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022