Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Untitled Document

SHOP OUR STOREREAD OUR BLOGFOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Great Tips for All Boaters

Towing
While towing sounds pretty simple, it usually is only simple in perfect conditions ­ calm winds and seas. When things are easy like that you need only get in front of the other boat and toss them a line.
(Note on tossing a line: coil the throwing line so there are no kinks. Separate the coil in two with the bitter end of the coil in your throwing hand, the rest of the coil on the other hand. Then toss the line over and past the receiver. The hand not throwing should be laid open and pointing toward the receiver so the rest of the coil will easily exit the hand.)
Most folks just tie the line to the stern of the towing boat. But, that is the worst place you can secure it. Remember, when you turn a boat the point on which it turns is usually near the bow and the stern swings out. If the tow line is on the stern, this restricts the stern from swinging out and thereby makes steering the towing boat almost impossible. So, the tow line should be as far forward as possible.
Keep the boats in the similar wave patterns by adjusting the length of the tow line so that both boats are either going up a wave or down a wave at the same time.
Always tow at moderate speeds. Think safely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Are you tired of throwing money at your boat, and you still are in mid-fleet or worse at times? Getting sick of the jib sheet jamming on every third tack? Upset because every time you tack, you tack onto a header?

WE HAVE SOLVED THIS!

CD 12CM Silkscreen.pdfFor 20 years the Rick White Sailing Seminars ran racing/sailing clinics throughout the world. They also had nearly 50 World Class sailors come in as guest experts. Rick says, "I listened to every thing these guys said. I let it all go in one ear.., then plugged the other one!"

Consequently, there is wealth of racing/sailing knowledge in Rick's Sailing Seminar DVD.

List price is $149.95, but the price has been slashed to only $99.95, a 33% reduction and a saving of $49.80
Learn 1. Total Boat Handling; 2. the Catamaran Roll Tack; 3. How to have Great Starts and Finishes; 3. How to have Great Mark Roundings; 5. Get Fast Downwind.

Great Tips for Racing Sailors

You are Approaching the Leeward Mark (8th in a Series about Mark Roundings)
From the last several issues remember there are Five Musts to anticipate when entering the leeward mark rounding. They are:
1) Prepare
2) Remember the Inside Overlap Mark Rounding Rule
3) Watch for the Pinwheel Effect
4) Slow Down to Win
5) Enter Wide, Exit Close.

Last Month we showed you how our Hero could Slow Down to Win and Enter Wide and Exit Close. So, let’s elaborate a bit more CmarkPinWhlExtraDistanceon this. Most folks think they have to keep their boat going as fast as it can all the time. However, there are several places on a race course that going at high speed can hurt you tactically. The leeward mark is definitely one of them.
If by going fast you are forced to sail on the outside of a Pinwheel, you will be dead meat – no air, no options and longer course sailed very slowly.
How do you slow down? Well, all of the things you do to make your boat go fast, do the opposite:

1) Let your sail all the way out so it does not draw, if you can
2) Sock your sail(s) in tight and overtrimmed – a stalled sail goes really slow.
3) Sock in your jib tight – backwinding the mainsail is also very slow
4) Sit on the back of the boat – dragging the stern is very slow on cats
5) Jam your rudders back and forth – by jamming the rudders you are not allowing the water to attach and this makes the rudders brakes instead of steering devices. 6) Zig and Zag a lot to kill time
7) Ooops! You are not allowed to drag your crew in the water
CMarkPinWhlSloToWinNow that you have slowed your boat down and the inside boats make their rounding, just go for the mark and exit close. Yes, after the fleet goes by, “Enter Wide and Exit Close.” Keep in mind that in doing this maneuver you have no rights. Wait and watch for a hole to open up and punch into.
See Diagram 2. Now the A Boat is in much better position than if he had sailed the outside of the Pinwheel. Here is why he is better shape:
1) He is in clear air
2) He has options – if his mark rounding allowed him to be high enough that he was not being backwinded, he could go straight; or he could tack away to clear air.
3) He has not slowly sailed a lot of extra distance.., a longer course.

This is by far the best way to handle the leeward mark rounding. Stay tuned in the next issue when we will talk more about “Entering Wide and Exiting Close.”

Have problems launching your boat at the beach? Wheels digging into the sand? Tired of asking others to help you on the beach or the launching ramp? Or even if not struggling with a boat and you simply want to take the family to the beach, but there is so much stuff you have to lug down there?

PROBLEM IS SOLVED!

Cat Trax and Wheeleez have answers to all your launching and beach woes! Click on those hotlinks to see all of their great products

CaptNoahTallBlogHeader

Dear Captain Noah,
Work is really a bummer. I love sailing so much, but never have much time to really get into it. Work, work, work -- it’s miserable.
Obviously, you must sail all the time and you actually call that work. How do I get to work at sailing?
Bad Attitude Guy

Dear BAG,
When you have an “I Hate My Job” day, try this. On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the thermometer section and purchase a Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson. Be very sure you get this brand.
When you get home, lock your doors, draw the curtains and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed. Change into very comfortable clothing and sit in your favorite chair, open the package and remove the thermometer.
Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken.
Now the fun part begins -- Take out the literature and read it carefully. You will notice that in small print there is a statement, “Every rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson is personally tested”
Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times, “I am so glad I do not work for quality control at Johnson and Johnson.”
Capt Noah

Thought of the Month: If the police arrest a mime.., do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Oh, NO! you have a tear in you trampoline! You look further and you see signs of wear! Your boat is an older design and the manufacturer is no longer in business?

PROBLEMS SOLVED!

The folks at OnLineMarineStore can make tramps for all beach catamarans/multihulls and almost all cruising catamarans/multihulls.

SHOP OUR STOREREAD OUR BLOGFOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

(You are receiving this newsletter because you are subscribed to the Catsailor.com Forum, or to the OnlineMarineStore.com Blog. To ensure you do not miss future emails from us, please add rick@catsailor.com to your safe sender list. This informative newsletter is only sent twice per month and will not clog up your inbox…we promise!) To unsubscribe click here.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Aug 15 Blog:Towing; C Mark, part 8; Capt Noah Tall on Work [Re: RickWhite] #283300
08/17/16 07:10 AM
08/17/16 07:10 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Capt Noah Tall has a sure way to appreciate your own work

Rick White
Re: Aug 15 Blog:Towing; C Mark, part 8; Capt Noah Tall on Work [Re: RickWhite] #283303
08/17/16 12:12 PM
08/17/16 12:12 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Rick, about towing a catamaran.

I have been towed several times at sea by a boat and I towe my cat often on the beach flood-line with my tractor.
I've found an ideal system for that by simply modifying my hawaiian upright system, which is mounted below my trampnet.

[Linked Image]

All I had to do, is adding a shackle between the rope from the hawaiian uprightsystem and the elastic cord which pulls this rope under the tramp.
In that way the rope can easily be disconnected and pulled out.

It then forms a perfect bridle between the two bows!

[Linked Image]

The bridle is fixed at the rear beam on both hulls and goes along both hulls until it passes the bows via a padeye.

It towes on land and at sea perfectly. And it's always there and available.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 08/17/16 02:35 PM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Aug 15 Blog:Towing; C Mark, part 8; Capt Noah Tall on Work [Re: northsea junkie] #283305
08/18/16 06:38 AM
08/18/16 06:38 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

great way to go. Worst thing is attach to a cleat on the bow.

Rick White
Re: Aug 15 Blog:Towing; C Mark, part 8; Capt Noah Tall on Work [Re: RickWhite] #283307
08/18/16 10:53 AM
08/18/16 10:53 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Biggest problem at sea is to connect the bridle with the towing line.
If its a towing line from a Rib, they can try to come very close, but with a normal boat that is too dangerous.

I have always jumped into the water and swum to the the front.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 08/18/16 11:42 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Aug 15 Blog:Towing; C Mark, part 8; Capt Noah Tall on Work [Re: northsea junkie] #283316
08/19/16 06:30 AM
08/19/16 06:30 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

It would be humorous to watch just getting a line from one boat to another,
In haste some thing they can grab a bunch of line and throw it.
Tip: take your time, coil as suggested in the article and throw in the direction the wind is blowing.

Rick White

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 659 guests, and 144 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022