01/12/17 05:23 PM
01/12/17 05:23 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline OP
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline OP
addict

Seems like this message string could grow into the hundreds if not the thousands. Since it is Rick's website, it also seems like it should be one of the best ways to honor his memory. So here is a story involving Rick and Mary to get this started. Without looking up the year, I would guess this was in the 1984 Sandusky Steeplechase race that Carol and I raced our Hobie 18 with a masthead rigged mylar screecher. I made this while working part time for a local sailmaker and Mylar was new. I had kept this set-up under wraps and this was its debut; meanwhile Rick had the same mindset for his symmetrical spinnaker rigged Hobie 18 that he also was debuting in this race. We saw what each other was up to as we launched and sailed out to the starting area and ended up match racing each other since we both pulled quickly ahead of all the conventionally rigged boats in the light to medium air. We were a little faster sailing but WAY faster jibing since Mary had to jibe the quite long pole which was not easy and they had to sail pretty deep because of the big shoulders on the kite. (I think it was borrowed from a Thistle). We were so intent on each other that when it got foggy we sailed almost directly to Kelly's island (no GPS in those old-timey days!) and then had to head up too high to carry the headsails when we heard the water crashing on the rocky shore nearby. I was covering from in front and sailing only to match Rick jibe for jibe. We had sailed each other far enough from the course rhumb line that the other boats passed us and finished ahead but neither one of us cared. We just wanted to beat each other to show that our new idea was better than the other's (neither of us had ever seen a headsail on a beach cat in NA before that). It was not so long after that when Rick coined the term "hooter" and began putting screechers on HIS cats and really popularizing headsails on beach cats. To be able to top Rick in any endeavor was a real accomplishment because he was always fast and innovative. He did more for beach cat sailing and racing than any other sailor I have met.

Last edited by Mike Fahle; 01/12/17 08:24 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rick White stories [Re: Mike Fahle] #285001
01/13/17 09:41 AM
01/13/17 09:41 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Heck, I still have the Catsailing for the 90's book on my shelf. It's a fun read even today. I still remember the iconic whistle and coach-shorts he wore.

I fondly remember the Steeplechase / Tradewinds regattas in Blackwater sound (FL) with the huge mash-up of boats all crammed in Rick's Place yard (or the little bar with the power lines). What was that greasy spoon door (past Kelly's and Amore)? Hobo's burgers?

Funny Snippets:
- the Wave "Hooter"

- the franken-Taipan he built and won a bunch of stuff with
- The two noobs who had bought a H16 the day before Steeplechase and entered. Mary was pissed. I think they finished late Sunday at sunset after everyone had packed up.

- Having to finish day 1 of Steeplechase dragging the boat through knee deep muck to get across the finish buoy which was laying on what looked like dry land (tide had gone out). I think someone's Supercat 18 sailed across about an hour later when the tide came back. And tying your boat to the mangroves at Ann's Beach hoping it didn't sail off overnight.

- The Tradewinds it blew 25kts + both days and temps dropped into the high 30's. Randy on his Javlin F18HT ripped the transom off, introduced his reefed main, and I think only 4 boats finished (Jake maybe?). First time I pitchpoled going upwind and without a spinnaker.

I had to make glass repairs after collision on my N20. Laid the heat gun down which sucked up dirt and slung it into the curing glass. oops, probably should have set down the rum rather than the heat gun.

- the 14 hour 1st day of T-winds in drifter conditions with wind finally piping up after sunset. Todd zipped in front of me/Karl (the 1st) and Ding's boat and then promptly hit a reef.

- The only Hogsbreath I tried the fleet got destroyed about 12 minutes after the start with a 180 degree windshift, lightning and something like 30 kts. Only 4 finishers if I recall (the flesh-rocket under it's original owners, JC/Silent Jay, Kenny/steve, and possibly Les Bauman/ Mark Herenden)

- being the last person to smack the Jewfish creek Bascule bridge waiting for it to open at the Steeplechase start. I think the next year they couldn't sail under the bridge (I saw the videos). And then they put in that tall fixed bridge.

Jay

Re: Rick White stories [Re: Mike Fahle] #285004
01/13/17 10:20 AM
01/13/17 10:20 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I got into sailing around 1999 while living in South Carolina (still am) and immediately went to multihulls. I resurrected an ancient Nacra 5.2 and bought every piece of study material I could find...which certainly included Rick and Mary's book and just about every video Rick produced. After getting involved with things, traveling to the keys to race a few times, I got to know Rick and Mary just a little. At some point (probably 2004?), I decided to return to race near my home turf in Ohio (Cleveland) and invite my high school best friend out sailing with me on the Sandusky Steeplechase and the subsequent Put-In-Bay Race week. Having arrived and setup camp in my motorhome on Put-In-Bay before hand, Rick had arranged a shuttle to take the Steeplechase sailors from the Put-In-Bay ferry to our boats back on the mainland where we would start and race out to Put-In-Bay. I was sitting next to Rick on the shuttle bus and he asked me why I came all the way out here to race. I explained that I went to high school in Aurora, OH outside of Cleveland and it was a good opportunity to catch up with one of my good high school buddies. Rick said "Aurora!? - do you know Dick Bliss?". I said "Dick Bliss, my wrestling coach?" I knew Mr. Bliss quite well and have always respected him solidly. It turns out that Dick was Rick's brother in-law and would be on Put-In-Bay racing a Hobie 18 with us. My high school buddy pulled out of Race Week but did the Steeplechase with me (had a great time) and Rick happily loaned me a Hobie Wave to race with them - I had a ball and am honored to have gotten to know Rick (and my High School coach). I spent the next several years attending that event and building friendships and "getting overserved" around town ;-).

Jake Kohl
Re: Rick White stories [Re: Jake] #285017
01/13/17 03:03 PM
01/13/17 03:03 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I almost forgot about Rick's RV! It was almost as much fun reading about how the RV almost didn't make it up the coast for the Worrell and Tybeee races as it was to read about the sailors... smile

Jay

Re: Rick White stories [Re: Mike Fahle] #285027
01/13/17 08:20 PM
01/13/17 08:20 PM
C
Chief_Tamoko Offline
stranger
Chief_Tamoko  Offline
stranger
C

Remembering Rick White
My Dad and I met Rick White and Mary Wells in the Spring of 92 or 93 at a Hobie Fleet 128 meeting in San Antonio. Rick was there to promote a catamaran sailing seminar he was putting on in Corpus Christi. He had Hobie Alter Jr at the seminar to fill the role of the Guest Expert.I was all in, and begged my Dad to take me. Rick,Mary, and Hobie did put on an awesome clinic. At that point I had raced for a few years. After the clinic I realized maybe I could become decent at catamaran racing.Rick gave me the confidence to continue on pursuing what I loved. One of the days at the clinic we got rained out. So we moved the clinic to the Drury Inn meeting room in Corpus. Rick and Hobie Jr did a lot of talking.There were many videos some including Randy Smyth. I was in awe. I have several memories of Rick. I can remember in the 2002 Worrell 1000 he was driving up the coast in his big RV by himself. When we finished the first leg in Ft Lauderdale he was there taking photos. Later that day I saw him in his RV writing a story for the day. He was a one man show bringing that race to the World. At the time I didn't think much of it. We were so focused on the sailing part of it. I look back now and wonder how did he do that? I have recently seen 3 people try to do the same thing he was doing way back then. He was a pioneer on many fronts. He brought so much to sailing. I am truly thankful I crossed paths with that guy. He was a big inspiration to me. RIP Rick. We are gonna miss you.
John Tomko

Re: Rick White stories [Re: Chief_Tamoko] #285059
01/14/17 02:30 PM
01/14/17 02:30 PM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Originally Posted by Chief_Tamoko
Remembering Rick White
My Dad and I met Rick White and Mary Wells in the Spring of 92 or 93 at a Hobie Fleet 128 meeting in San Antonio. Rick was there to promote a catamaran sailing seminar he was putting on in Corpus Christi. He had Hobie Alter Jr at the seminar to fill the role of the Guest Expert.I was all in, and begged my Dad to take me. Rick,Mary, and Hobie did put on an awesome clinic. At that point I had raced for a few years. After the clinic I realized maybe I could become decent at catamaran racing.Rick gave me the confidence to continue on pursuing what I loved. One of the days at the clinic we got rained out. So we moved the clinic to the Drury Inn meeting room in Corpus. Rick and Hobie Jr did a lot of talking.There were many videos some including Randy Smyth. I was in awe. I have several memories of Rick. I can remember in the 2002 Worrell 1000 he was driving up the coast in his big RV by himself. When we finished the first leg in Ft Lauderdale he was there taking photos. Later that day I saw him in his RV writing a story for the day. He was a one man show bringing that race to the World. At the time I didn't think much of it. We were so focused on the sailing part of it. I look back now and wonder how did he do that? I have recently seen 3 people try to do the same thing he was doing way back then. He was a pioneer on many fronts. He brought so much to sailing. I am truly thankful I crossed paths with that guy. He was a big inspiration to me. RIP Rick. We are gonna miss you.
John Tomko

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Rick White stories [Re: Chief_Tamoko] #285113
01/15/17 06:45 AM
01/15/17 06:45 AM
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Originally Posted by Chief_Tamoko
Remembering Rick White
John Tomko

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Rick White stories [Re: Mike Fahle] #285201
01/18/17 09:10 AM
01/18/17 09:10 AM
Mike Fahle Offline OP
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline OP
addict

I am forwarding this letter from the Scuttlebutt newsletter. Chris used to be very involved in Hobie racing in Michigan when it was in its glory days:

It is very sad to hear of the passing of one the world's great catamaran sailors, Capt. Rick White.  Through his many books and seminars, he taught more people how to have fun, sail fast, and be safe on high performance sailboats than we could ever guess. His zest for life came through with every conversation. 
He would recount with great detail what went right or wrong on a race course, and do so as a complimentary teaching moment that was meant to last.  It didn't matter whether he was on a Tornado Olympic class boat, or a Hobie Wave, he knew how to get the most out of the vessel that he was driving at the time. 
Rick showed a lot of young aspiring catamaran sailors how to sail like a winner.  Just go out and live life on the edge, standing on the boat's edge strapped in a trapeze wire, flying across the water, just as fast as the wind, waves, and sail trim will let you go.  Godspeed Rick White, may you sail on forever in peace.
- Chris Sundberg; Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: Rick White stories [Re: Mike Fahle] #285696
02/11/17 03:28 PM
02/11/17 03:28 PM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
...to the top.

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 428 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022