Hop To
Moving foward on cat racing-Div ision Nine #28640
01/28/04 10:15 AM
01/28/04 10:15 AM
R
Rickh Offline OP
Rickh  Offline OP
R

Now that the initial shock over Hobie's decision on race management is done, lets determine how we can make the best of it. In Div 9, I see very few fleets remaining Hobie only. If there are some, we need to find out who and see if we can work out a way to share the equipment the div has purchased. If there are none, we need to form a new association to manage our racing (post a schedule, maintain results, equipment, etc). Done correctly, this could be the best thing to happen to cat racing. Very few open boats actually come to Hobie events and I believe it is the stigma of "Hobie only" that keeps some away. If we all get involved on an equal basis, we can only increase our attendance and acceptance. I feel Hobie is trying to make the H-16 the Laser of the multhulls (an older design that has great staying power due to loyal sailors). They are missing the boat with the Tiger as it will be much more successfull if coordinated with the F-18 class, but that is their choice. All the negative bashing is counterproductive. Successful programs are developed with positive actions. Associations such as CRAM and others(sorry I don't know all the initials) have been very successful as multihull associations because they move ahead and manage their own destiny, so lets do our own thing. We can align with NAMSA and with Rick's permission use their page to schedule regattas, or create our own Southeastern Association with our own website and management.Quit Wining. I have been sailing Hobies 25 years and just bought a new Tiger, was Div 9 chairman and fleet 164 Commodore many times. Yes I'm disappointed, and no, I won't be joining the class for the first time since it's inception, but lets move on and continue doing what we enjoy, SAILING. Looking for positive ideas.(My remarks are specifically for Div 9, and for others to think about)

Rick Harper
Tiger 1328
J-22 876
MC 1283

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Moving foward on cat racing-Div ision Nine [Re: Rickh] #28641
01/28/04 10:37 AM
01/28/04 10:37 AM
Hampton, Virginia
Tracie Offline
enthusiast
Tracie  Offline
enthusiast

Hampton, Virginia
I agree. Judging from some emails circulating on the Div 9 email list, I think others are also in agreement.

I'm waiting to hear from Loyd, who by the way is the new Div chair. I am the Vice-Chair. we need to see where the Div sailors stand.
I'd be willing to begin the process of polling and emailing fleet contacts and individuals.
Maybe it would be a good idea if I were to set up a forum where we could post ideas and resolutions.

Tracie

Re: Moving foward on cat racing-Div ision Nine [Re: Tracie] #28642
01/28/04 11:13 AM
01/28/04 11:13 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

The NAMSA board is getting together and will discuss the suggestion of Sam Evans that NAMSA simply set up Divisions along the same boundaries of what Hobie used.
It was also my suggestion that the present officers might carry over to the NAMSA Divisions.., at least during transition.., or whatever.

Your thoughts on that idea?
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Moving foward on cat racing-Div ision Nine [Re: RickWhite] #28643
01/28/04 11:33 AM
01/28/04 11:33 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Sam actually suggested that we set up boundaries along the lines of US Sailing Areas. This makes more sense to me that we would align with US Sailing and try to make the Area Alter Cup Qualifiers more of a prestigious event.

Mike Hill
H20 #907

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: Moving foward on cat racing-Div ision Nine [Re: RickWhite] #28644
01/28/04 11:42 AM
01/28/04 11:42 AM
Hampton, Virginia
Tracie Offline
enthusiast
Tracie  Offline
enthusiast

Hampton, Virginia
The NAMSA board is getting together and will discuss the suggestion of Sam Evans that NAMSA simply set up Divisions along the same boundaries of what Hobie used.
It was also my suggestion that the present officers might carry over to the NAMSA Divisions.., at least during transition.., or whatever.

Your thoughts on that idea?
Rick

Well, we'll see what the sailors want first. There is a lot of discussion that needs to happen.
We'll keep you posted.

Tracie

Re: Moving foward on cat racing-Div ision Nine [Re: RickWhite] #28645
01/28/04 12:05 PM
01/28/04 12:05 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I too think this is a great idea - using the US Sailing's already existing areas to establish NAMSA divisions. We can have points series any way we see fit (F18 anyone?). The possibilities are limitless.

Jake Kohl
Re: Moving foward on cat racing-Div ision Nine [Re: Rickh] #28646
01/28/04 12:40 PM
01/28/04 12:40 PM
R
Rickh Offline OP
Rickh  Offline OP
R

Any of these ideas sound good to me and I will support them Fully. I'm not familiar with US Sailing boundaries, but if is what the majority wants,fine. Lets make sure we think it thru and make decisions for the long run. I feel we have all season and that Hobie is not out to prevent this by enforcing stringent rules immediately, at least I hope not.. This would be the year to phase in a new system and have it in place by next year. Hobie can have their one design class (not a bad thing) and we as cat sailors can implement an all inclusive organization that might help them as well.Cooperation among all parties is a must. Lets not burn any bridges and see if we can't all come out ahead. I thank Rick White for his continued support, even though we all haven't supported a NAMSA type organizatiion until forced to do so. Maybe we're all a little spoiled by Hobie. If Tracie could get some input from fleets and the current officers are willing to continue their roles in a new system, lets get started, its our sport. Rick Harper

US Sailing boundaries are very, very broad [Re: Jake] #28647
01/28/04 01:07 PM
01/28/04 01:07 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Either way may work out. It just seems to me there have been lots of problems with the vastness of the US Sailing boundaries. I believe that this past year the multihulls have made an effort to change or alter some of the boundaries. So, it would almost seem we would inherit something that is a bit flawed in the first place.

Still another possibility is the map layout we use for Schedules in Catamaran Sailor Magazine. It is basically set apart at Northeast, East, Southeast, Midwest, South, Mountain, Southwest and Northwest.

Your thoughts?
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: US Sailing boundaries are very, very broad [Re: RickWhite] #28648
01/28/04 01:18 PM
01/28/04 01:18 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
There could always be subdivisions within the US Sailing boundries. That way people don't feel forced into driving 3 days away to compete, but they can still be competitive on a local level. IIRC, thats kind of how the Collegiate sailing structure.

I know where were in North Point->SAISA then the broader nationwide collegiate sailing organization. To qualify for "regionals" you had to place in the top 4 in North Points, of which consist 3 regattas.

Re: US Sailing boundaries are very, very broad [Re: MauganN20] #28649
01/28/04 02:00 PM
01/28/04 02:00 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The NAHCA organization was set up originally to pretty much emulate the US Sailing system and its hierarchy -- a Governing Body (Hobie Cat Company), Areas (Hobie Divisions), Yacht Clubs (Hobie Fleets).

The only difference was that US Sailing has one other level in there -- the Regional Sailing Associations (RSA's). These are groups of yacht clubs that are relatively close together and have inter-club racing and reciprocity among the clubs that belong. Like the Inter-Lake Yachting Association on Lake Erie, and like the Biscayne Bay Yacht Racing Association in Florida. RSA's within US Sailing are all over the country, and they operate as part of the ladder system for qualifying people for US Sailing events.

So maybe we need to do the same thing. If NAMSA uses the US Sailing Areas and then has RSAs (in this case NAMSA SA's) within each Area, we might actually start looking a little more mainstream to US Sailing and it will make it possible for us to have ladder events that more closely parallel what US Sailing does for youth and women's events, as well as for our own Alter Cup Championship.

This would help solve the problem of the Areas being too large. For instance, we live at the southern end of Florida, and we could occasionally drive the five or six hours to get to Central Florida, but we don't exactly like that 12-hour drive to go to a regatta on the Panhandle, which is in our same US Sailing Area and our same Hobie Division.

Last edited by Mary; 01/28/04 02:46 PM.
Re: US Sailing boundaries are very, very broad [Re: Mary] #28650
01/28/04 02:29 PM
01/28/04 02:29 PM
St. Louis, MO
JoeLeonard Offline
JoeLeonard  Offline

St. Louis, MO
I really like Mary's comment about the benefits of lining up with USSA and the RSA's. One of the keys to our success will be how well we can leverage existing infrastructure. I beieve this will help up not only with our organizational issues, but also with getting exposure for our sport by being more closely liked with the larger sailing community. And exposure is absolutely critical if we want to attract new talent....

Joe Leonard

JL N20 # 1041 "Lucille" A-cat USA 44
Re: US Sailing boundaries are very, very broad [Re: JoeLeonard] #28651
01/28/04 02:50 PM
01/28/04 02:50 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I wasn't suggesting, of course, that we use the existing US Sailing RSA's, although maybe that is conceivable in some areas. I figured we would have to set up our own RSA's (NSA's) based on what participating fleets are within a reasonable driving distance.

Re: a positive discussion [Re: Mary] #28652
01/28/04 03:33 PM
01/28/04 03:33 PM
samevans Offline
enthusiast
samevans  Offline
enthusiast

To clarify:
In a post on the NAMSA forum, Pitchpoledave suggested using the H-division boundaries.
On the open forum, I suggested using the Alter Cup(USSA) boundaries and NAMSA Fleet designations.
I have copied my post over to the NAMSA forum under Dave's post.

Since this thread is a positive discussion about implementing NAMSA, let's move this discussion over there and leave all this H-bashing negativity here.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 302 guests, and 130 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,057
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022