05/10/06 03:14 PM
05/10/06 03:14 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
I refuse to let my wretched disease control me and what I eat.

My doctor and I have a really good understanding of each other. He realizes that my lifestyle is just as important to me as my health. I like food, ask anyone that knows me and they can tell you how much I can pack away if I'm really hungry. Doc and I have setup a great system for me to manage my voracious appetite and still be healthy.

Although my days as a beanpole are indeed numbered.

trapezing [Re: Mary] #74395
05/11/06 08:36 AM
05/11/06 08:36 AM
Brisbane Queensland- Australia
Q
Qb2 Offline
Qb2  Offline
Q

Brisbane Queensland- Australia
After 10 minutes or so I feel like a knife has been pushed in my lower spine and I have to come in off the wire. I recently got a magic marine harness and it is a vast improvement on old sailcloth type material harnesses I had but the strain is still on my hips and lower back. Its probably only a matter of adjusting it right but what feels good on the sand doesn't feel good on the wire after 10 minutes. I am just back on the water trying out my 14 foot Alpha Omega cat.

Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: hobie1616] #287600
07/05/17 02:22 PM
07/05/17 02:22 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by hobie1616
My problem started at 50. For some reason, I thought that was an appropriate time to give my weights to Goodwill and grow old gracefully. What a crock that turned out to be! I can barely see my f***n' toes!
I think "growing old gracefully" equates to going to seed. Hitting middle age means a lot of physiological changes including slowing metabolism. That�s where Eat Less, Move More kicks in.

Of course, the down side of all the exercise is orthopedic surgeons everywhere licking their lips envisioning for all the money they�ll make from baby boomer joint replacements. Ya just can�t win!!

I was looking for the Target Heart Rate Calculator and found this. I must have known it was coming. I had one replaced six weeks ago and will probably wait until next year for the other.

If anyone's contemplating a full joint replacement, get in shape before the surgery.

At a minimum, walk a few miles every day. That will help with healing and flexibility. The two goals are straightening your leg to zero degrees and getting your heal to your butt.

Work on upper body strength. The worst is trying to get up off the toilet. You'll need something to pull on or set up a system with your main blocks.

Find out what the post surgery exercises are before surgery and start doing them right after surgery. They hurt like hell but you'll be glad you did.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: fin.] #287602
07/06/17 08:05 AM
07/06/17 08:05 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
totally off subject, but the muni bonds thing.... Most are in the crapper, or headed there these days. Still recommending buy?

Jay

Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: waterbug_wpb] #287604
07/06/17 08:12 AM
07/06/17 08:12 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
totally off subject, but the muni bonds thing....

Please take it here.
Thanks Jay

Philip
USA #1006
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: fin.] #287606
07/06/17 10:17 AM
07/06/17 10:17 AM
S
soulsailor Offline
journeyman
soulsailor  Offline
journeyman
S

About 2 years ago my Doc told me i have Type 2 Diabetes, So before that I was always working out but never took it serious ! in 2015 I bought myself a Fat Bike I use to do Mountain Biking so i decided to get back in it at that time I was 250lbs I am really into Technical stuff, I might ride 3 times a week. 10 miles in the woods doesn't seem like a lot but it kills you. I have to bring food with me to snack on so my sugar doesn't drop to far being all alone most of the time, I rather Die Sailing not in the woods LOL! So far I am down to 198lbs I need 20 more i think. When i am not riding I do Beachbody workouts! have you ever heard of Tony Horton P90X, or Shawn T Insanity workouts? I will mix these up into one nice workout but still working on Pull ups that is one hard thing but it might come in handy if i ever fall of my boat! LOL I am 47 now i figured i better get this sh*T into a Life style now before i get older .. Non of it is easy I have change my eating I eat less and do Cardio like a rock star!

Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: waterbug_wpb] #287614
07/06/17 06:55 PM
07/06/17 06:55 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
totally off subject, but the muni bonds thing.... Most are in the crapper, or headed there these days. Still recommending buy?

I rotated out six months ago.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: soulsailor] #287615
07/06/17 06:56 PM
07/06/17 06:56 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by soulsailor
About 2 years ago my Doc told me i have Type 2 Diabetes, So before that I was always working out but never took it serious ! in 2015 I bought myself a Fat Bike I use to do Mountain Biking so i decided to get back in it at that time I was 250lbs I am really into Technical stuff, I might ride 3 times a week. 10 miles in the woods doesn't seem like a lot but it kills you. I have to bring food with me to snack on so my sugar doesn't drop to far being all alone most of the time, I rather Die Sailing not in the woods LOL! So far I am down to 198lbs I need 20 more i think. When i am not riding I do Beachbody workouts! have you ever heard of Tony Horton P90X, or Shawn T Insanity workouts? I will mix these up into one nice workout but still working on Pull ups that is one hard thing but it might come in handy if i ever fall of my boat! LOL I am 47 now i figured i better get this sh*T into a Life style now before i get older .. Non of it is easy I have change my eating I eat less and do Cardio like a rock star!

Good for you!!

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: hobie1616] #287616
07/07/17 12:36 AM
07/07/17 12:36 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by hobie1616

Good for you!!

But if you capsize, you are short in weight for the uprighting

Last edited by northsea junkie; 07/07/17 02:07 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: northsea junkie] #287621
07/07/17 11:39 AM
07/07/17 11:39 AM
S
soulsailor Offline
journeyman
soulsailor  Offline
journeyman
S

Thanks, But i cant capsize! That is something that i cant do! I would loose everything inside my hulls LOL! I have a marine battery I have a stereo all my wiring for lights .. Nope cant capsize my boat!

Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: fin.] #287622
07/07/17 01:49 PM
07/07/17 01:49 PM
fl
M
Mn3Again Offline
Mn3Again  Offline
M

fl
Congrats and well done on the new health goals and accomplishments

This is how you will gain that extra knot of speed your want smile

Mn3
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: soulsailor] #287623
07/07/17 01:52 PM
07/07/17 01:52 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Oops, .. sorry.
I overlooked the Reynolds 21 notification.

By the way your vid and the connected other vids opened a whole new other cat world for me.
Interesting and seductive!

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: soulsailor] #287624
07/08/17 11:01 AM
07/08/17 11:01 AM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Soulsailor... this is awesome.. and keep up the good work..

I agree the hardest part is the change in eating habits...

Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: fin.] #287625
07/08/17 07:50 PM
07/08/17 07:50 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman! This thread was started 11 years ago!!!

But I second the bike riding thing, both mountain (or off road) and road biking are great ways to stay in shape...however...it can kill you! Most of the guys I ride with have had much worse crashes on their mountain bikes in the woods than on their road bikes, going twice as fast. Tree's don't move and they always win the 'right of way' argument.

My bike club just lost one 57 yr. old gal to a heart attack, the day after she rode 50 miles in the heat. She was not one of our stronger riders to begin with, she was a steady, regular rider, but that day she rode with the A group and they were going fast, she was hanging on at the back, didn't do any pulling, but still, the next day, adios.

I constantly have to remind myself that I'm only riding to stay in shape, I'm not in the Tour, and never will be. Going fast around corners is fun, no doubt, and dodging cars and trees will get your heart rate up, but dying ain't much of a living.

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

If you are just getting into cycling, go find a good bike shop and ask them where/when the local bike club meets, see if they have an A, B and/or C group ride, start in the C group and work your way up. My club has a "Friendly Friday" ride every Friday for newbies, most clubs have something similar, that's where you want to start.

Riding with a group is better for you, and safer, for several reasons;

1. If you do go down, or even if you just get a flat, they'll be there to help you. (our last bike club President crashed while waving to a friend and hitting a pot hole at the same time, and broke her pelvis, hip and coxex, needed an ambulance, one other rider called 911 for her as she was unable to move)

2. Cars will 'see and avoid' a big group (but be more pissed off) than they will see a solo rider, and with today's Texting Drivers, that's a big problem. Solo, you are invisible to most cars, so be sure you stay way off to the side of the white line when you can, and NEVER assume they see you.

3. You will ride longer, and harder, with the group than you would ever ride alone, you can draft when you are tired, you can pull when you are strong, and you will want to 'Represent' so you will push harder than you will alone.

4. You will make new friends and learn a lot from them.

I have found that there are many similar type A (and AA, and even AAA) people in both sailboat racing and bike riding, (and flying airplanes too!) so you sailors will feel right at home with the bike guys! Oh, and several in my Bike Club love to drink beer too, just like sailors, (and pilots) so there's that....

Blade F16
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: fin.] #287628
07/10/17 11:40 AM
07/10/17 11:40 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
or you can do that spin class crap.... I still have a hard time exercising indoors with HVAC... guess I'm used to being in the 100% humidity..

But Timbo's training for the NZL team cyclor spot, so.... get used to peddling like crazy and not going anywhere

A jog in beach sand is a hell of a workout, too...

Planks and all your core strength training will serve you well on any boat with a trapeze or hiking straps

Jay

Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: Timbo] #287650
07/13/17 05:21 PM
07/13/17 05:21 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Timbo
Riding with a group is better for you, and safer, for several reasons;

1. If you do go down, or even if you just get a flat, they'll be there to help you. (our last bike club President crashed while waving to a friend and hitting a pot hole at the same time, and broke her pelvis, hip and coxex, needed an ambulance, one other rider called 911 for her as she was unable to move)

2. Cars will 'see and avoid' a big group (but be more pissed off) than they will see a solo rider, and with today's Texting Drivers, that's a big problem. Solo, you are invisible to most cars, so be sure you stay way off to the side of the white line when you can, and NEVER assume they see you.

3. You will ride longer, and harder, with the group than you would ever ride alone, you can draft when you are tired, you can pull when you are strong, and you will want to 'Represent' so you will push harder than you will alone.

4. You will make new friends and learn a lot from them.

I have found that there are many similar type A (and AA, and even AAA) people in both sailboat racing and bike riding, (and flying airplanes too!) so you sailors will feel right at home with the bike guys! Oh, and several in my Bike Club love to drink beer too, just like sailors, (and pilots) so there's that....

Group rides are great. There's not a lot of roadies here on Maui but I can usually find a group of tourists to ride with. They let me suck wheel when needed and I show them the backroads that are fun to ride.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: hobie1616] #287657
07/14/17 12:12 PM
07/14/17 12:12 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
The Xterra triathlon series had a stopover in Hawaii, and the trail ride looked spectacular in terms of visual backdrop. of course, it didn't look very easy to pedal through.... smile

Jay

Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: MauganN20] #287661
07/14/17 04:27 PM
07/14/17 04:27 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by MauganN20
I'm on the nachos and pizza diet.

6'4" and a shade over 180.

OK, Ok...I haven't seen him in several (probably should say "many") years since then but FYI, he was headed steadily north of 180 last time I saw him. ;-).

Jake Kohl
Re: diet, training and exercise [Re: fin.] #287922
09/23/17 11:49 AM
09/23/17 11:49 AM
CA, U.S.
M
Marek Offline
stranger
Marek  Offline
stranger
M

CA, U.S.
if you are a working person with little time and need to work your fitness up and can't afford a personal trainer I recommend the FREELETICS work out program that's available as an App in Itunes (I assume also for android phones). These are timed short intense workouts (high intensity interval training). The idea is to do short excercise routines at maximal effort followed by a brief recovery period and then move on to the routine which focusses on a different muscle group and then repeat excercises over multiple times. Excercise science has shown that this is a fairly efficient way, to train cardio, muscle and stretch soft tissue...
While this concept may not be entirely new, here's the kicker...the app and many routines are free but if you sign up for the virtual coach you will get a tailored program that will integrate workout programs with recovery periods. After an assessment you will start out and then after each session you need to answer a few questions that the virtual coach uses in addition to the recorded times to assess your progress as well as custom fit the next sets. The other big benefit is that the regular "Bodyweight" app does not require a gym or any equipment so it's basically so all you need is a small space and your phone app to record your progress.

My nephew visiting from Germany where it's been gaining traction showed this app to me a few weeks ago and I have just started using the app and have to say I love it. I had been road biking and MTBing the last few years to stay in shape but was wiped out after a few excercises and had my heart pumping pretty wildly.

Besides the "Bodyweight" app, Freeletics also offers a "Gym", "Running" and "Nutrition" app. I am also trying the running app but probably won't use the coach feature much with it. I also like the nutrition app. I had a cardio event a few years ago and my wife also has elevated cholesterol so we have been working up our diets a bit to move away to greener food. I have been using the app mostly to compare notes with our diet and get ideas for dishes.

San Luis Rey Sail & Power Squadron (SLRSPS)
1992 Prindle 19
1981 Prindle 16
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 411 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022