09/09/08 09:52 PM
09/09/08 09:52 PM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline OP
old hand
wildtsail  Offline OP
old hand

Newport, RI
So what i'm looking for is a list of what to do to the boat to get ready for the Tybee... What parts are a good idea to replace? What to reinforce?
How about what particular safety gear is the cheapest / best?

It'd be really nice to have all this kind of information in one thread for all the veterans to give their 2 cents and for any newbies to read.
It seems like the guys in the top have this more figured out than some of the guys in the back. Maybe this isn't always the case... but it seems like to me that the leaders break less stuff.

I keep hearing the teams that do well are the ones that are most prepared... so what does this preparation entail?
Any advice would be great!
Thanks!

Last edited by wildtsail; 09/09/08 09:53 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Advice on what to do to get ready for the Tybee [Re: wildtsail] #288554
10/27/08 11:46 AM
10/27/08 11:46 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Here's what I'd replace the week before the event:

1) All standing rigging (including spin pole bridles!)
2) All pins and chainplates
3) Rudder Eyebolts and gudgeons
4) any running rigging that is long in the tooth. (extra attenion to uncovered 12 strand/spectra, and any splices or eye spliced lines!)

Furthermore take a good look at the following items and make sure that they look good:
1) Hounds on the mast
2) shackles, the main shackle and the bridle shackle
3) main traveller
4) diamond wire turnbuckle
5) Rudder castings

As for "better prepared" teams. There are teams that have the newest, best maintained boat on the line, but can't put a string of successes together to win the race. Alot of the race is figuring out when you have to "pull back" and not push the boat so hard. It can lead to boat implosion at the worst time possible. That being said, always carry the following things on the boat:

1) Tool kit.
2) spare shackles, at least one of each size
3) Spare main traveller mounted on the rail already. (Lash or tape it to one side of the track)
4) Spare line.
5) Rudder gudgeons both upper and lower and the eyebolts.
6) If your name is Trey, you need to carry an extra tiller crossbar too.
7) Extra GPS.

Re: Advice on what to do to get ready for the Tybee [Re: Darine75] #288555
05/25/17 09:25 AM
05/25/17 09:25 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
"To finish first, one must finish,first"

good points on component inspections.

Not sure which platform you'll be using (18, 20, other) but individuals with your type of boat would likely have specific info on what to look for. I know there was some discussion on shroud base corrosion within the deck (and unseen) from water sitting against the stainless in an oxygen-free environment.

I recall someone lost a mast because they had taped up the chainplate and over the months the moisture in there corroded out one section. Thankfully a quick fix (no damage to mast or shroud) with a spare part.

Spreader connection(s) and shroud/spreader area need a good look-over. Tie the shroud to the spreader end to avoid the spreader moving vertically in a nasty wipeout or other calamity.

Also mentioned in the forums here was the two-side welded rudder pintles. Early versions were welded on one side (top I think), and they did break off at the most inopportune times.

The rubber elbow on the rudder arm was my undoing on a shorter race...

Spin halyard/tack blocks might need refreshing, as long distance spin legs will put a lot of wear on the bearing surface (even if it's not a lot of hoisting/dousing) which could cause block failure or excessive line chafe.

The spare traveler is an excellent idea and it's totally out of the way until needed. An extra batten or two may be nice to have as well in case an on-water (or deserted beach) replacement is needed. I think Les taped one to the boom?

A thorough review of your personal equipment is a good idea, as well. Harness buckles, straps, etc can cause major issues if they decide to let go on a long haul in poor conditions

Jay

Re: Advice on what to do to get ready for the Tybee [Re: wildtsail] #288556
07/21/17 11:37 AM
07/21/17 11:37 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Jay, are you resurrecting these ancient threads on purchase or did you reach a new age milestone that much closer to "gramps"?

Jake Kohl
Re: Advice on what to do to get ready for the Tybee [Re: wildtsail] #288557
07/25/17 01:07 PM
07/25/17 01:07 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Funny, I was going to ask the same in perhaps a more polite manner. Wildtsail won the Florida 300 this year so I think he is prepared enough.

Scorpion F18
Re: Advice on what to do to get ready for the Tybee [Re: wildtsail] #288558
07/26/17 08:55 AM
07/26/17 08:55 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
no, just enjoying my senility! smile

Jay

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 560 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022