The new and improved...’Round the Island Race has now been revamped and renamed:
“50/50 ‘Round the Island Race”
September 17 & 18 2016
Yes, this race was ready for a total ‘face lift’. Sailors got tired of racing 100 miles and straggling home at 2 am or later, often missing the finish party. So, to cater to popular demand we have made the following changes:
• Hobie 16’s, WETA’s and other modest speed multihulls will start at Sunrise off the Fort Walton Yacht Club’s gazebo.
• Corsairs and other larger Multihulls will start somewhat later.
• Faster Spinnaker Beach Cats will start progressively later yet.
• Saturday’s course goes from the FWYC out the Destin Pass into the emerald waters of the Gulf of Mexico to the Pensacola Pass.
• Fort Pickens, just inside the Pensacola Pass, will be the finish Saturday afternoon where all the boats should arrive somewhat together.
• Everyone will enjoy a Beach BBQ at Fort Pickens on Saturday.
• Anyone that chooses can tent camp at the Fort with showers at provided sites. Your dry clothes and other gear will be transported from the FWYC to Fort Pickens.
• For the more civilized, plenty of Motels and alternate night life is available at Pensacola Beach for Saturday night.
• Sunday morning starts the race back to Fort Walton along the scenic intercostal waterway.
• Again, progressive starting times will yield a tightly grouped fleet at the FWYC finish for awards where comradery will abound.
For your convenience the 50/50 is one week after the Juana’s Good Time Regatta. If you choose to do both events please feel free to leave your boats at the FWYC.
Check FWYC.org to enter and for further information (soon) or contact Race Organizer Randy Smyth: SmythSails@gmail.com​Cell 850 499 6490