02/03/20 09:12 AM
02/03/20 09:12 AM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline OP
veteran
dave mosley  Offline OP
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
Remember the days of 150-200 boat Catamaran events? The Hobie lifestyle? Spring Fever Regattas?
These were huge events, and in many ways those days have passed us by, but.....
We have a chance to make a comeback. We have a chance to get new sailors on the water. We have a chance to get old sailors back on their boats, and we have the chance of seeing our friends and competitors from now and days gone by back on the water and back on their boats again.
The opportunity to revel in the sport and the boats we love is fast approaching. The opportunity to camp, reminisce, and build our sport again is as easy as a $25-30 registration fee and a little packing.

First let me tell you about Tommy Whiteside. Tommy sailed Hobies for many years and was instrumental in reviving the abandoned Hobie Fleet 141 here in South Carolina.
Along with several other key players they formed the SEACATS to help bring all cat sailors into the sport. We met monthly and planned our events, mostly camping and pleasure sailing as a group, but we also loved to race.
This was a weird time where Hobie was pretty strict about “Hobie only” events, but we had many different boats actively sailing so we planned all inclusive events.
The local fleet was strong, around 25 members actively attending monthly meetings and as many sailing events as we could plan.
When Tommy died in 1998 we carried on his passion for catsailing and created the Tommy Whitesides Memorial Classic.
This will be the 22nd annual event if my math is correct! This event is always a fundraiser for a worthy cause, whether its raising money for a fellow cat sailor who had open heart surgery(who btw still owns Tommys Hobie 20), or raising money for youth sailing programs and the building of a children’s hospital. This event had raised over $20,000 over the years!

Now, what can you do to support catsailing?
Get your old boat out of the shed. Call your old buddy and get his boat out too! If they need a little work we will be there to help on Thursday and Friday!
Get your new fast boat out from underneath the snow and come south!
In April the average air temp is 72 degrees and lows in the 50’s.
Camping is plentiful but hookups are sparse and available on first come basis.
If you’re doing a midwinters further south and want to drop your boat off before the event safe spaces are available
Columbia Sailing Club welcomes all but we are a private club and have a locked gate and caretaker on site. We also do not allow pets, so please plan accordingly.
Food will be provided from lunch on Friday through lunch on Sunday. Saturday nights dinner is included but all other meals except breakfast will be cash only.
Each participant will receive one beer bracelet (21 yo) and other bracelets will be sold for $10 each and will be food for the weekend or until the kegs run dry.
CSC is located within minutes of I26, and many hotels are within 5 minutes as well as many restaurants and bars.
If you’re site seeing Charleston is a quick 2 hour drive.
Lake Murray has over 600 miles of shoreline and has always provided cats a great place to sail and stretch their legs.

Don’t forget, music Friday night with the Matt Hallman band and spaghetti and meatballs from our resident Italian and fellow catsailor Rich Boyle Saturday evening.

Also rigging help, a “green Fleet”, and a race/sailing instructional by our sailing director Dave Van Cleef on Friday.
There is truly something for everyone so pack it up and come play!

Tommy Whitesides Memorial Regatta 2020
Multihull Regatta April 3-5, 2020

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...59nEUEVU7M3DcT3KjL2K93s6lrhTlKGLM&e=

2020 The year of The Cat

David Mosley
windzblowin@hotmail.com

Last edited by dave mosley; 02/03/20 01:04 PM.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Bringing back the cat [Re: dave mosley] #289245
05/06/20 05:22 AM
05/06/20 05:22 AM
F
Fesako Offline
stranger
Fesako  Offline
stranger
F

I miss my Catamaran, haven't been sailing it for a month because of the virus situation. You know I live in my Samui realty and weather here is amazing, I will try to sail this weekend if the government lifts some limits.

Last edited by Fesako; 05/07/20 02:27 AM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 248 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022