Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Hobie 16 Class Website #29918
02/15/04 09:04 PM
02/15/04 09:04 PM
heavyair14 Offline OP
heavyair14  Offline OP

A new Yahoo group has been created for the Hobie 16 sailors in the New England Area however any H16 sailor is encouraged to join. Its main use will be a communication link between all H16 sailors. We will use it to coordinate what regattas people are going to so we can have a strong class at them, as well as sharing photos, tips, etc. Please check it out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hobie16_ne_area/ If you would like to join you can either do it at the site and also send me a private message or e-mail (hobieracer85@yahoo.com).

Hobie 16 sail #102653
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Is it PU sanctioned? [Re: heavyair14] #29919
02/16/04 12:28 AM
02/16/04 12:28 AM
samevans Offline
enthusiast
samevans  Offline
enthusiast

Is this group PU/Rich McVeigh certified?

Do you have permission to use the Hobie name?

Do you have to be a NAHCA member in order to post?

What will happen if an X-Boat owner posts?

I thought that was what this forum was about! [Re: heavyair14] #29920
02/16/04 09:59 AM
02/16/04 09:59 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I don't get it!
I thought we created this forum for H16s, and such, for the very same reason.
Does it make sense to take traffic away from this site and take it over to Yahoo? After all, Yahoo really gives a rat's patoo about Hobie 16s, don't they? And Catsailor doesn't?
Give me a break!
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: I thought that was what this forum was about! [Re: RickWhite] #29921
02/16/04 03:01 PM
02/16/04 03:01 PM
Memphis, Tennessee
Damon Linkous Offline

enthusiast
Damon Linkous  Offline

enthusiast

Memphis, Tennessee
I'm with Rick on this, use the forums that already exist if possible. This one is great, and if you like Yahoo Groups, the oldest catamaran group on the net (started as the hobielist in April of 1994) is now (since July 2000) on "open class" list called beachcats. Hey! I just realized that April will be 10 year anniversary.

I've had a lot of people ask me why I don't have a catamaran forum on TheBeachcats.com, this is the reason. Lets stick together, how are we going to have massive arguments if everyone is scattered about?

This doesn't mean anything against local groups, having a private club/fleet forum/mailing list is a great way to keep communication going.

just my 2¢

Re: I thought that was what this forum was about! [Re: Damon Linkous] #29922
02/16/04 04:01 PM
02/16/04 04:01 PM
heavyair14 Offline OP
heavyair14  Offline OP

I am sorry for posting this. I did not mean to offend anyone or take away from what this site has to offer. I will continue to use this site and its services. Rick, please remove or disable this thread, I have caused an argument already and wish I had never posted it.

Hobie 16 sail #102653
Re: I thought that was what this forum was about! [Re: Damon Linkous] #29923
02/16/04 07:05 PM
02/16/04 07:05 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Wow you guys are tough. A 17 year old kid is trying to help organize his local fleet and all you can do is cut him down. Absolutely pathetic!

And you wonder why we want to create an e-mail list instead of posting on this forum!

Re: I thought that was what this forum was about! [Re: RickWhite] #29924
02/17/04 12:07 PM
02/17/04 12:07 PM
USA
orangesoda Offline
stranger
orangesoda  Offline
stranger

USA
I would say that it would be impossible to use catsailor.com as a Hobie 16 forum, and kudos to heavyair14 for starting one up for New England...oh yes, it makes one really want to post on this site when you are derided, ridiculed, and talked down to. One would hope that at the very least the web administrators would steer clear of the fracas and not say things to the posters like "Give me a break."

Re: I thought that was what this forum was about! [Re: orangesoda] #29925
02/17/04 04:02 PM
02/17/04 04:02 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

First of all, I did not know it was Sean, nor a teenager.
I have been in private conversations with Sean and there is no problem that I am aware of. He has been serving the last year or so as the Youth Chair Advisory and believe he might want to stay on in that position.
And I will do everything I can to help him in his endeavors to get more and more youth sailing going in North America.

I do get a little testy because over the years I have dumped a ton of money into this site to help cat sailing with little or no return, only to have a number of people try to direct traffic from this site to theirs. This has been an ongoing problem.
Needless to say this site is a lot more cat friendly than Yahoo.

By the way, this Forum can be used as a mail list as well. So, there is no reason to use Yahoo to do so.

Have a nice one,
Rick

Rick White
Re: I thought that was what this forum was about! [Re: RickWhite] #29926
02/17/04 05:51 PM
02/17/04 05:51 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Rick,

The Yahoo group idea is completely different from how this site is being used.

Can you explain to us how Catsailor can be used in this way?

A yahoo group allows group posters to email direct to the group list. This is perfect for the fleet building idea he has for his region. You don't have to go to a site to see the information. Just check your email. A local Yahoo group can also be controlled by the group administrator, if needed, and can help keep out the bad apples that we seem to get here.

Sailors will still come to a site like this for general information.

Is your idea to have users of Catsailor add the thread to their favorites? Then through the user interface you have it send all replies to your email address? Seems alot more difficult and much less controllable for the regional effort that he has intended.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Hi Matt! [Re: mmiller] #29927
02/17/04 06:50 PM
02/17/04 06:50 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

You need to click on My Home and then Subscribe and all the posts will be emailed.
The reason why most folks hate mail lists is that the continuity is crazy. I know I belonged the Hobie, the Corsair, and another one, and went nuts with maillists.
Geez! I was getting 100 emails a day about naming a trimaran.
That is why I researched and found the best Forum out there and installed it. It will still do that overwhelming stuff, yet you can adjust to the way you like it.

And as you know I have always been willing and able to open forums for any good cause, i.e., just opened up an F14 Forum. So, why would folks run off to Yahoo?
I'm here for you. This is what I do!

Also, I do cater to local groups. Look at those such as Delray, Hawaii, Long Island, et al have their own forums.., and they are pretty doggone active.

Guess I don't understand your question, Matt. We are trying to be here for everyone.
A good example is that this H16/14/Trapseat Forum was started because they were being harrassed by the hi-tech boys.
They needed a place to talk amongst themselves. What did I do? I immediately opened this Forum.
What do you all want?
I do everything to help cat sailors? Sorry, Matt, not just Hobie sailors.., even though my now favorite boat is a Hobie.

Rick

Rick White
Re: Hi Matt! [Re: RickWhite] #29928
02/17/04 07:19 PM
02/17/04 07:19 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Thanks Rick,

That was it... seems you did understand my question... I just wanted everyone to know (from you) how it can work as a mail list. Still not quite how the yahoo group works though. It is a different beast and each has it's place I think. When you get posts such as yours (first one) and that of Sam's... It just isn't productive or inviting for the users. That is one of the reasons why guys may want to do private lists. I think this issue is still different. I belong to a yahoo group list for another sport and it works great. Most of that kind of (local, regional and sometimes personal) chat you don't want posted on some website forum for all to see.

Certainly everyone appreciates the Catsailor forums! Keep up the good work.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Forum Change? [Re: heavyair14] #29929
02/17/04 11:43 PM
02/17/04 11:43 PM
S
sail-s Offline
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline
enthusiast
S

Sense I am the one that asked Rick to create this forum for H16 and Trapseat racers I am speaking from personal experience. One of the reasons I wanted this forum was a place to get away from the Open Forums constant anti-H16 rhetoric. With the recent IHCA and HCA rules changes I have been told that many of my H16 friends they will now be moving from this forum to the Hobie Forums at http://www.hobiecat.com/community/ so it’s going to happen any ways. I of course plan to continue to go to this and the other forum even though the new Trapseat forum at the Hobie cat website will be our new official forum.
I would like to thank Rick for this forum but with the recent attacks or should I say crying on the Open Forum about the IHCA rule changes I don’t think many Hobie sailors will feel that this or the open forum are safe places to post anymore.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 369 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022