PA, Bucks
N
Nieuwkerk Offline OP
journeyman
Nieuwkerk  Offline OP
journeyman
N

PA, Bucks
I’m looking for some tips on sailing in Pine Island Sound on the Gulf Coast in Florida.

I just bought a Nacra 6.0 and my family & I are staying in North Captiva Island for a week in April. I’m not familiar with the area and am looking for a launching point to sail to the island and places to take the family to. I have a dock on the island, so keeping it on the island isn’t the problem (I hope).

I wasn’t encouraged when the ferry service told me that they don’t see many sailboats because the water is too shallow. They recommended Pineland Marina, however, I was told there was a narrow rock lined channel (Yuk!)

I’m getting nautical charts. However, should I even bring my boat? With 3" of snow on the ground in the Philly area, I want to find a way!!! Is there a Hobie Fleet in the area? I’d appreciate any feedback or tips.

Bill

Last edited by Nieuwkerk; 02/16/04 09:13 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Suggestions on Sailing in North Captiva [Re: Nieuwkerk] #29985
02/17/04 09:23 AM
02/17/04 09:23 AM
Cape Coral, FL
pete_pollard Offline
pete_pollard  Offline

Cape Coral, FL
Shame on you! A Nacra sailor looking for help from a Hobie fleet! And no, the fleet folded years ago.

Sailing in Pine Island Sound with a board boat is all but impossible. It is one enoromous grass flat with an average depth of 1-2 feet. Very often, at low tide there isn't even enough water to float the hulls. I've often run aground on a Hobie 16. Granted, there are channels and other areas where you would be able to get the board part way down, but your best (only) bet is to sail in the Gulf.

The only useful launching area is at Punta Rassa,just to the Gulf side of the Sanibel Causeway Toll Plaza. This too is guarded by grass flats and sand bars, which are exposed at low tide.

The ramp at Pineland is in very bad repair, where the concrete ends there is a substantial drop off due to erosion. The ramp is usually covered with grass and other detritus, walking on it is difficult because the surface is very slick. The channel is not lined with rocks, it is lined with boulders, some as big as a car. The grass flats to either side are 1-2 feet deep and the channel itself is very narrow. There is no adequate launch area, you would have to step the mast with the boat on the trailer. I have done this with a Hobie 16 several times and once with a hobie 18. Wear tennis shoes, when you run aground, just step of the boat and walk it to deeper water.

The Bocilla Club has a ramp at Bokeelia, but no place to leave a trailer.

There is a public ramp in downtown Punta Gorda, but you'd have to sail the length of Charlotte Harbor.

I think Pineland is your best bet, once you get out of the channel, work your way to the North into Charlotte Harbor and be very careful inside Boca Grande Pass it can get very rough when the wind and tide are against each other.

On the bright side, sailing in the Gulf is just gorgeous! And all of Upper Captiva is one big pristine, white sand beach. Same for Cayo Costa, the next island to the North, which is mostly a State Park. Also, when you do run aground you're not likely to suffer any damage, just step off and go for walk. Lots of interesting critters in the grass.

One of my fondest sailing memories involves the ramp at Pineland. I was ghosting along in the shallows, trying to work my way into the channel. It was near sunset, the water was like glass the wind was so light the boat barely left a wake. I was standing near the forward cross bar and looking down discovered I was surrounded by a school of Red fish! One, about twenty pounds, was tailing between the hulls, I could easily have reached down and touched him! 'Course, I guess you had to be there.

"Cat Fest Sailor" Pete in Cape Coral
Re: Suggestions on Sailing in North Captiva [Re: Nieuwkerk] #29986
02/18/04 09:12 PM
02/18/04 09:12 PM
Niagara Falls NY
mikemac Offline
mikemac  Offline

Niagara Falls NY
You should be able to sail into Barnnicle Phil's. Band play's only on Sat. afternoon's

Re: Suggestions on Sailing in North Captiva [Re: Nieuwkerk] #29987
02/18/04 10:41 PM
02/18/04 10:41 PM
Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
Brian_Mc Offline
old hand
Brian_Mc  Offline
old hand

Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
When I was in Sanibel in '94, a guy came ashore on a H 16 with his dog as crew. He said the sailing on the Gulf side was great. I canoed through Blind Pass between Sanibel and Captiva, and saw a lot of fantastic wildlife. Some years later there was an article in Sail Magazine about some guys that did a camping trip island hopping on the inshore side on a H16. I think they did some sailing with Rudders up, but sounded like a great time! Let us know how the trip goes!

Re: Suggestions on Sailing in North Captiva [Re: Brian_Mc] #29988
02/19/04 12:16 PM
02/19/04 12:16 PM
Cape Coral, FL
pete_pollard Offline
pete_pollard  Offline

Cape Coral, FL
Glad to hear someone is interested in local waters besides me.

When I stated earlier that you can't sail a board boat in Pine Island Sound, I hope you guys know what I meant. I didn't want someone with no local knowledge to get in trouble or spoil his holiday.

Hope you get back in the area soon.

"Cat Fest Sailor" Pete in Cape Coral
Re: Suggestions on Sailing in North Captiva [Re: Nieuwkerk] #29989
02/20/04 06:23 PM
02/20/04 06:23 PM
PA, Bucks
N
Nieuwkerk Offline OP
journeyman
Nieuwkerk  Offline OP
journeyman
N

PA, Bucks
Thanks everyone for the feedback. From everyone's description it sounds like we'll have a great time. I plan on taking the Nacra, but we'll do most of our sailing on the gulf side. My wife tells me my charts arrived today,so I plan on studying them closely.

I'll give everyone a full report!!!

Bill

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 633 guests, and 169 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022