10/10/01 05:39 PM
10/10/01 05:39 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Scaredy, Sail6000, you've convinced me of the religious merit of this war. It sure is a good thing that the Christ wasn't a weak-willed, candy-butt pacifist. Can you imagine what the world would be like if he and his followers hadn't risen up in righteous anger against the oppressor-Romans? If he hadn't defended himself against those who wronged him? If his only act of violence had been against legitimate capitalism (money-changers)? Jeez, it just wouldn't be the same religion we have now, would it?
<br>Michael<br><br>

Attached Files
3099- (14 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Catchy tune; no meaning. #3059
10/10/01 06:08 PM
10/10/01 06:08 PM
Long Island, NY
Ed Norris Offline
enthusiast
Ed Norris  Offline
enthusiast

Long Island, NY
Well said.
<br>The point you miss is this: the mere fact that Christ, as you perceive Him, wouldn't, in your opinion, approve of this war, doesn't mean a thing.
<br>
<br>As Wouter pointed out "God is on our side" justifies nothing.
<br>
<br>Neither does "God is not on our side"
<br>
<br>But it's catchy rhetoric, what you said.
<br>
<br>Typical sound byte, mental floss thinking.
<br>
<br>Bravo. You should be in politics.<br><br>

Sail Fast, Ed Norris
None at all? [Re: Ed Norris] #3060
10/10/01 07:36 PM
10/10/01 07:36 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ed,
<br>Thanks, that was kinda' what I was trying for.
<br>I actually agree with a lot of what you've said previously in your more moderate posts.
<br>BTW, I am neither pacifist nor Christian. I was merely commenting on the irony of the "Christian response" which was war.
<br>I also agree that the "god is on our side" reasoning is completely useless. However, the persons who made and defended the post to which I responded apparently do not, since the original post was in reference to the use of religion to encourage war. I thought that the best way to respond to the whole issue, since it had drug on so long, was with a humorous but Biblically accurate response.
<br>Sorry you took me too seriously. You shouldn't, I don't. And it's not nice to suggest dirty things like politics - that's hitting below the belt. :-)
<br>Michael
<br>P.S. By your comments, I take it you don't think he was a pacifist? Just curious.<br><br>

Attached Files
3101- (14 downloads)
Re: None at all? #3061
10/10/01 10:10 PM
10/10/01 10:10 PM
Long Island, NY
Ed Norris Offline
enthusiast
Ed Norris  Offline
enthusiast

Long Island, NY
My more moderate posts?!@#
<br>Which would those be? :-)
<br>
<br>Actually, after re-reading Scaredy's original post, I still get a slightly different read on it...
<br>Rather than seeming to be written to encourage war, I do believe the sermon seems to be written only to excuse it, within carefully circumscribed circumstances. This is an important distinction.
<br>
<br>Then Scaredy moves on into his own feelings about the more secular side of things, and it is that portion of his post to which most of the responses seem to be directed.
<br>
<br>Which is why I felt your post so... er... *novel* in this thread, even though SC began the whole thing with a sermon. So, feeling your point that ol' JC wouldn't approve to be entirely irrelevent, I said so.
<br>
<br>As to your final question, some of my posts today make the point that it is worse than irrelevent, actually impedemential, to found any discussion or evaluation of same on a person's innate leanings re: pacifism. Rather, it's much more productive to discuss whether the probable outcome of this whole thing mandates turning the other cheek, or smiting them who afflict thee. And to do that, it is crucial to spend one minute in the terrifying void you can only find by asking yourself, with deepest urgent sincerity, "What if my assumptions are all wrong here. What have I missed in my analysis? Have I used my logic to reinforce my beliefs, or do my conclusions arise from unbiased logic?"
<br>
<br>Only when you open your mind, for a few scary minutes, to the possibility that you've built a logical house of straw, then try actively to prove your opponents *right* can you say you've made every effort to find the best answer.
<br>
<br>Even if the "Usama agenda" *IS* about his intra-Islam political machinations; - - come to mention it, *ESPECIALLY* if that's his goal, then killing thousands of people on our soil is especially inexcusable.
<br>And if 5000 lives *is* revenge for, as he says, underpriced oil and us not being Islamic, while having the arrogance to enter into defense treaties with Islamic nations, well, then for us to say, in effect, "Okay, we deserved that, can we call quitsies now?" would be worse than ludicrous.
<br>
<br>It's important to remember that our actions aren't measured by our tormentors in the same light that we view them. - - Usama tossed the Sov's out of Afghanistan, he thinks Superpowers are weak, with no staying power. A spasm of bombing, followed by a face-saving exit in six months or a year is what he's expecting, and he'll interpret any peacefull gesture as one of weakness.
<br>
<br>This will embolden him.
<br>In Usama's own words, he didn't like our humanitarian mission to feed the oppressed Muslims in Somalia. He didn't care for our military defense of Muslims in Bosnia, against Christian Serbs.
<br>
<br>No amount of Christlike nurturing-in-spite-of-violence will appease this guy. Stopping him now is going, likely, to cost many lives of his truest victims, who are poor Muslims. Stopping him later will only cost more of their lives. And stopping him never will cost us everything we hold dear.
<br>
<br>Don't trust me, look it up. He wants the oil, and the Paki's nuke, and he's more than halfway to both. There's rioting in the streets of Soudi, Paki, Palestine, Kartoum, Oman, the UAE, you name it. Araft asked ISrael, *ISRAEL* for help today in quelling the pro-Usama demonstrators in his own streets, his own Palestinian people! The Islamic world is in turmoil, which is precisely what most informed Middle Easterners are saying that Usama wants.
<br>
<br>Read SAILCRAC's post, (http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...view=expanded&sb=5&o=21#Post3086) He's a tad committed to his point of view, but the CNN article in this post of his spells it out.
<br>
<br>Usama thinks the Taliban's Afganistan is exactly how all of Islam should be run, under one ruling body. Could such a super-state allow itself to fall to the same insidious force which toppled the Soviet Union? Our luxurious lifestyle is what eventually convinced mom-and-pop Russian citizen that communism wasn't lifting them out of poverty.
<br>
<br>Having the west around, living it up here, would be far more intolerable to a Taliban-like Islamic super-state. Do you think they'd allow us to live in peace and prosperity?
<br>
<br>HOW COULD THEY??? bin Laden's proposed nation is inherently unstable. When the average Islamic citizen notices that kicking the west out didn't put beans on the table and starts asking why, what're the leaders going to do, huh? They'll do what every, single ruling body in every culture on this planet has done in times of domestic unrest; they'll blamee everything on some other country. They'll point to, you guessed it, *US* and blame us, as they have already been doing for years.
<br>
<br>It'll start with half witted plans like, "I know, let's double the price of oil!" Of course they'll foolishly forget to ask, "why didn't OPEC think of that?"
<br>
<br>Can you answer that one? I can. The price of oil, right now, is, as it nearly always is, right on the "Sweet spot" for maximum yield. See, if you're OPEC, and you price your product too high, two limiting factors mess up your nice theoretical profits. One, the economies of the buyers go in the tank, meaning they consume less oil, and your profit goes down. Two, they notice other energy sources start to look more attractive, and they use less oil and your profits go down, permanently.
<br>
<br>So when "Nation of Islam" tries to lift their citizens out of penury by jacking up oil prices, it's doomed to failure from the start. What then? "Obviously, it's a Western plot to starve our Islam's children. Hey, they weren't so tough in '01, let's take what they've stolen from us." Don't forget; the Paki's have a nuke now.
<br>
<br>* * *
<br>
<br>"He who fails to understand history is doomed to repeat it"
<br>
<br>There's a reason the victors in WWII spent incalculable sums to rebuild their attacker's countries. They learned from their own history - - WW one. We left Germany in a shambles. Ten years of starvation later, they were ripe for revolution, and war of conquest.
<br>
<br>This stuff is so obvious, and so ineluctible. Bush gets it. Blair gets it too. His two predecessors, Chaimberlain and Churchill, haunt him today, I'm sure. Nato gets it. Wouter doesn't get it, because for fifty years, his half of Germany's been stuffed full of Pravda, and in reaction to being told bad things about Hitler by dishonest liars, he's much less inclined to see ol' Adolf in the unflattering light we do. I've lived with East Germans, they're fine people, just got an odd slant on history, some of 'em.
<br>
<br>You want to live in a world like the one we just graduated from? Only, instead of the Commies vs. the Decadent Capitalists, it'll be the pure Islamic Militants against their Evil Opressors.
<br>
<br>No thanks, I vote Usama off the island this round.
<br>
<br>Ed (sorry about the rant) Norris<br><br>

Attached Files
3102- (15 downloads)

Sail Fast, Ed Norris
The Paki's "nuke" [Re: Ed Norris] #3062
10/12/01 04:14 PM
10/12/01 04:14 PM
Sweet Home, OR
ScaredyCat Offline
journeyman
ScaredyCat  Offline
journeyman

Sweet Home, OR
Luckily, I think we can rest easy on the "Paki's nuke" issue. In his interview with CNN, the Pakistani President said that the United States of America had "secured" his nuclear arsenal before the retaliation began.
<br>
<br>The Presidents Q&A last night was quite interesting. His reference to the Taliban Representative who appeared on CNN the night before as "The Evil One" was most excellent.
<br>
<br>What I wish he would have called more attention to was "The Evil Ones" reference to the Taliban's worship of "death" in contrast to America's worship of "life". How true!
<br>
<br>SC<br><br>

Attached Files
3107- (14 downloads)
Re: a-look in the mirror - #3063
10/12/01 04:21 PM
10/12/01 04:21 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI
Where do you get your "unbiased" news - the jarzaree Club? The only real independent out there is Mother Jones, and if you ever read that, you'd have a lot more bad stuff to say about BOTH sides. As it is, let it go. Wouter, who is in many ways your complement, has moderated and learned from this, and is being quite nice. You keep on, and it's getting old. We already had this discussion at Election time, and some of us are tired of seeing this post revived. But blaming all of this on Christianity is one of the most childish, ill-tempered, inaccurate, and unfair statements I've heard. It's a bit pathetic, really. Reality check - B.L.'s still mad about the U.S. stopping his funding. If you create a weapon, and leave it lying around, don't blame someone else when it hurts you. B.L. is a weapon, and we helped to create him. If you want to bitch at something, bitch about us doing stuff like that. This doesn't justify his actions, it just means that Clinton's goof was only a drop in the bucket.
<br>Sorry, that's the situation. Now can we all pretend we're grownups for a while? Maybe discuss oh, say, maybe, sailing or something.
<br>Michael
<br>
<br>-a look in the mirror -
<br> -Evil Bert <br><br>

Oh yea... #3064
10/12/01 04:35 PM
10/12/01 04:35 PM
Sweet Home, OR
ScaredyCat Offline
journeyman
ScaredyCat  Offline
journeyman

Sweet Home, OR
I wasn't trying to convince anyone of the religious "merit" of war. I was merely passing on what I thought was an intelligent look at how retaliation could be viewed by a Christian.
<br>
<br>I would never advocate a war on religious grounds, unless it was a war concerning the RIGHTS of people to practice one that was in non-violation of the RIGHTS of others.
<br>
<br>SC<br><br>

Attached Files
3109- (14 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 650 guests, and 165 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022