04/01/04 11:52 AM
04/01/04 11:52 AM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline OP
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline OP
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
It was the first really warm day of spring here in Ohio, the kind of day when spring fever abounds, when you can't wait to leave work just to be outside.

My P18 was sitting on it's trailer in the driveway. The boat always seemed to have a bit of lee helm last year so I wanted to make sure the mast rake was correct. I followed the instructions, going through the steps one by one until I was satisfied that it was right. It felt good just to be on the trampoline again. I reached up to the backstay and, with two fingers, pulled it forward to feel the tension on it and "twang", I let it go with a smile. I can't wait to get back on the water. Then I remembered that during the winter, I also fixed the shrunken boltrope problem I had on my main sail. Now I was anxious to see the sail on the mast. I jumped down & ran to the basement to get the sail bag.

Back on the boat, I pulled the sail out of the bag and attached the foot to the boom. I hoisted the main tied the halyard off on it's cleat as the gentle breeze filled the sail. It looked so bright and white in the afternoon sun. Not satisfied with that,I pulled the jib out of the bag. As I hoisted it up, the breeze picked up and I thought I felt the boat move, so I stopped. Hmmm... Everything seemed alright so I cleated it off. The wind was whipping it so I ran the sheets through the fairleads and pulled it in a little just to stop the luffing. Now the picture was complete. I sat down on the tramp, looking up at the sails, dreaming of far away places, when the boat moved again.
This time I was sure of it. I decided the wind was getting too strong for this nonsense, so I got up to douse the sails.

Uh-oh, too late! The trailer took off down the driveway. The tongue jack on the trailer has a wheel on it. It's handy for moving the boat around when necessary, but right now there was nothing stopping me. The first thought in my head was I hope the neighbors aren't watching this. Then I realized there were several kids riding bikes and scooters up and down the road. What am I going to do? My mind raced. The boat wasn't slowing down. I could jump out but it was going to keep moving. There were kids in the way! I grabbed for the sheets and released the main. With that, the wind pushed the trailer to the left. I trimmed the jib in a little and I actually turned the trailer onto the road, away from where the kids were. By now, they were all laughing and pointing at me. I managed to turned the boat but I was still moving. Luckily, this subdivision is fairly new and all the electrical wires and phone lines are buried instead of being up on poles. I'd really be in trouble then. OK, I thought, take a deep breath. There's a corner coming up and I need to make a decision. What am I going to do? The wind was over my port stern now, so I trimmed the main just a little and felt the boat pick up speed. I needed to turn right at the corner, so I'm going to have to
jibe. I found that I could steer the boat somewhat by trimming the sails just as if I were on the water. I helped the boom across to starboard and let the main way out. I released the port jibsheet and pulled the jib across to starboard. As the wind grabbed it, the jib pulled the bow to the right and I just made the corner, missing the curb by inches. I couldn't believe it. That was close.

Now we were off on a new heading. I looked down the road and saw a woman coming toward me in a car. Words can't describe the look on her face as she picked up her cell phone. Damn. I knew what she was doing and I'd have company soon. I trimmed both sails and really got moving. That little trailer jack wheel was just humming! I didn't have to worry about any corners for a stretch, so I sat down, paying close attention to the sail trim, keeping the boat going straight. I looked behind and I had seven or eight kids laughing and screaming as they followed me, some on bikes, some on scooters and some running along the side of the road.. The woman in the car also turned around and followed. I ran the stop sign at the next corner - what else could I do? Then I heard the siren. That didn't take long. He must have been in the area. Soon I had seven or eight kids, a panic stricken woman, three barking dogs and a cop following me. The circus is in town.

The cop turned on his PA and told me to pull over. I raised my hands like I was helpless to do anything about the situation. What was I thinking? He wasn't going away. So I thought to myself, I have no brakes. How am I going to stop this boat? I know. How do I always stop the boat? I'll ease the sails and throw the anchor out. So I let the sheets loose and dropped the anchor into the soft muddy grass alongside the road. It stuck and as the rope fed out, the boat slowed and clunked to a stop along the curb. I fell back down on the tramp and waited.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" The cop screamed at me. I sat quietly as he chastised me up and down about public safety and traffic laws and illegal vehicles. He didn't know if there were any ordinances governing the driving of a trailer without a tow vehicle, however. I'll bet it took him twenty minutes to write up the ticket, the whole time he paced back and forth shaking his head. He didn't seem to see the humor in my situation. He finally handed it to me and I glanced at it. The first thing that caught my eye was the date in the upper right corner. April 1, 04.

Jack

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: jmhoying] #31953
04/01/04 12:08 PM
04/01/04 12:08 PM
Yardley PA
DanWard Offline
enthusiast
DanWard  Offline
enthusiast

Yardley PA
LMAO...Mary, you have to publish this one...Dan

Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: jmhoying] #31954
04/01/04 12:14 PM
04/01/04 12:14 PM
Socal
nesdog Offline
journeyman
nesdog  Offline
journeyman

Socal
You're just spreading the joy all over the place today, huh Jack? Still a bit of cabin fever from winter?

Sheldon

Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: nesdog] #31955
04/01/04 12:25 PM
04/01/04 12:25 PM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline OP
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline OP
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
Yep, it must be cabin fever. Last week it was in the 60s, but today it's 38 degrees.
I originally posted this message two years ago on the Yahoo group, Beachcats. I didn't write the original story, but changed a few things to have it pertain to catamarans. I think the original story was about a monohull, since he was carrying an anchor.
Jack

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: jmhoying] #31956
04/01/04 12:52 PM
04/01/04 12:52 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
you know whats even funnier, is that this actually happened to me once. Not on a catamaran, and I wasn't able to steer it but heres the story:

For the sailing club at school, we had "club publicity day" where all the clubs setup a little booth out on the brickyard (common area where everyone passes through campus). We always take a boat out there. Well we had brought the starwind out there and disconnected it from the tow vehicle because we were told we couldn't keep a vehicle out there. So the outdoor adventure club had their hang glider out, the tae kwon do team had their wood chopping demonstration, and we weren't going to be outdone for the $100 1st place presentation prize voted on by the peer clubs. So, being the commodore in charge of this operation, I order the spinnaker up on the starwind while its on its heavy trailer. We push her so she's downwind so the 5 knots or so of breeze would fill her up.

Thing about the brickyard though is that its surrounded by skyscraper lecture halls. The wind howls through there sometimes unexpectedly. We had the front jack wheel chaulked but someone had in advertently kicked it out of the way. The wind all of a sudden picked up and the boat lurched forward a good 5 feet. We blew the chute appropriately and took it down for the rest of the day, but that was the only land sailing experience I've ever had, and its NOT april fools :P

Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: MauganN20] #31957
04/01/04 01:01 PM
04/01/04 01:01 PM
Socal
nesdog Offline
journeyman
nesdog  Offline
journeyman

Socal
I remember launching once at Castaic Lake. A guy nearby with a small mono was backing his boat on the trailer, with the sails fully rigged and sheeted in. Gust 'o wind and the trailer went over sideways as far as the hitch would allow. Then the boat slid a bit out of its straps. Lots of yelling about then...

I think about this story every time I back my Prindle to the water when I have the jib already up. It's not too bad now that I have the furling one but I always worried about this.

Sheldon

Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: jmhoying] #31958
04/01/04 01:16 PM
04/01/04 01:16 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
AAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!! Three have tried today but you're the first one to get me.... LMAO.

Jake Kohl
Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: Jake] #31959
04/01/04 01:58 PM
04/01/04 01:58 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Yep, Jack, you got me, too. Great job!

Last edited by Mary; 04/01/04 03:47 PM.
Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: Mary] #31960
04/01/04 03:31 PM
04/01/04 03:31 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Almost got me, once he turned down the street that was it. BTW did anyone read Scuttlebut today? Man I love April 1st.

Clayton

Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: Clayton] #31961
04/01/04 03:42 PM
04/01/04 03:42 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
SailingAnarchy's April Fool's was even better IMO :P

Re: Embarrasing Moment [Re: MauganN20] #31962
04/01/04 03:57 PM
04/01/04 03:57 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Yeah, the SA was pretty good too. Since I'm at work reading this stuff, I skim it and digest it later. I thought making the turn down the road was pretty nuts but had not fully considered it at the time...dang funny.

Jake Kohl

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 150 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022