04/12/04 10:51 AM
04/12/04 10:51 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
I am suffering from "analysis paralysis".

I'm shopping for a GPS. After reading the recent GPS thread I get the idea that many of you like the Garmin ETrex Legend. Another group of you like the larger screen/body found in the Garmin 72/76 family. Sticking to mapping Garmin units, several questions arise.

1. In the ETrex family, is the little joystick a problem? I hate the one on my laptop. The Legend (~$130) has a big brother (Vista, ~$200)) with more memory and a compass. I hear the compass sucks battery life. Is the memory worth the hefty added price? Does the mapping software need big memory onboard? Any comments?

2. The Garmin GPSmap 76 (~$200) has a bigger screen but in a bigger box. Is it worth suffering the bulk to get the big screen (yet small memory)? It also has individual buttons rather than the joystick. Given busy hands while sailing, maybe buttons are easier to fiddle with. Any comments?

BTW, E-Bay prices are GREAT if you're patient.

Garmin ETrex Legand
Garmin GPSMap 76

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: GPS advice [Re: David Parker] #32258
04/12/04 12:20 PM
04/12/04 12:20 PM
Clearwater, FL
Jeffwsc17 Offline
Jeffwsc17  Offline

Clearwater, FL
David

I've got a Garmin Map76 and I love it, give me call and you're welcome to try it out sometime....waterproof and it floatS!

Jeff

Re: GPS advice [Re: David Parker] #32259
04/12/04 12:25 PM
04/12/04 12:25 PM
Clearwater, FL
Jeffwsc17 Offline
Jeffwsc17  Offline

Clearwater, FL

BTW, E-Bay prices are GREAT if you're patient.

If you get a chance go to the West Marine Clearance Center on 19 at 22nd Ave. N. in St. Pete, thats where I got mine, well less than $200. They usually have a bunch to choose from. FYI

Re: GPS advice [Re: David Parker] #32260
04/12/04 02:20 PM
04/12/04 02:20 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
David,

I have both an Etrex Legend and a GPS72 (like the 76 without mapping capability). We will be carrying both in the Tybee500. Both will be loaded with the same waypoint navigational data. The smaller legend will be stored on person in a pocket in a dry bag for reference where close navigation or specific information is needed. The 72 will be mounted to the boom or mast and fixed to display heading and speed information since it has such a large display and can be read from a distance.

Regarding the buttons - the 72 / 76 is MUCH easier to use through a dry bag. The joystick on my legends (I've had two) has been a little problematic and even without being inside a drybag it's not easy to manuever.

I like both units for different reasons, however, if I were looking for one to do it all, I would go with the 76.

Jake Kohl
Re: GPS advice [Re: Jake] #32261
04/13/04 03:23 AM
04/13/04 03:23 AM
Minneapolis, Mn
Wrinkledpants Offline
journeyman
Wrinkledpants  Offline
journeyman

Minneapolis, Mn
You can't go wrong with the 76. As far as memory, it really depends on what type of map you will use. The garmin mapping software has preselected map sizes of an area. So for example, my hometown on the Topo software is at the bottom of a map that is about 10 mi wide by 20 mi long. I can fit the majority of the state on my GPS (64 mb). In utah where there is much more data i can fit park city and local surrounding area. If all you use it for is sailing you will be fine with any memory size. If you wanted to drive from DC to seattle with detailed maps, then you better bring a laptop because there isn't a GPS that will hold that much maps. Also, if you like to roadtrip and use it, the new 60cs (color) has auto mapping software. So you punch up an address or point to where you want to go and it provides turn by turn directions to get there. The 76 and etrex just draw a straight line. Two things you will want to do: by the best dry bag for it you can and get some rechargable batteries. Salt water will crack the soft rubber surrounding the buttons and your unit will loose it's waterproofness. Rechargable batteries will last you about 12 hours of continuous use. Bring them home and in 4 hours they are back and ready to use. Buying a unit with Blue chart capability is also quit handy as it will store marine specific maps. The software is quite pricey, but i guess if you are doing alot of longdistance sailing, it might be handy. The best thing to do is go and use them to see what you like. The joystick is easy to use as it requires only your thumb but you have to do alot of clicking through menus to find stuff. They weren't really designed for "active" use. They were intended to be held in someone's hand while they are hiking. So it might be tough to read the screen while your getting rocked around. I pretty much live my life around these things. I have them in the airplanes i fly, they get me around the mountains when i'm mapping, i sail, paddle, and drive with them. It's an amazing tool and can save you a headache or two. You may also want to check out some of the Magellans. Though i'm biased towards Garmin, Magellans have some really good units with some no brainer things that Garmin should use. Example...the Topo maps have the contour spacing originally in 10 meters. So switching to feet gives contour intervals of 32.3 feet or something close to that. Another thing, if you plan on downloading lots of different maps frequently, you'll want to take into account the time it takes to do the actualy download. The unit has to erase the map memory before each download. It won't just add or subtract one map. And a map of substantial area (50-100 mi) could take 30 minutes or more. The connection to the computer is through a serial port and is hella slow. Unless all you are going to do is walk around the woods then i wouldn't recommend the etrex. 76 is the way to go and if you have the bling bling, get the new 60cs. Hope this helps!!

Re: GPS advice [Re: Wrinkledpants] #32262
04/13/04 04:27 PM
04/13/04 04:27 PM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
Which dry bag is best for these, VHS, cell phone, etc??
I assume all need a soft side to work through, right?
How often do they get wet inside (Ouch) and what do you do about that?

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: GPS advice [Re: dacarls] #32263
04/13/04 06:17 PM
04/13/04 06:17 PM
Minneapolis, Mn
Wrinkledpants Offline
journeyman
Wrinkledpants  Offline
journeyman

Minneapolis, Mn
Normally you can go to any outdoor store and they will have many dry bags to choose from. The one i use is for maps. It's slightly larger than my unit so i just fold the sides around back and tape them. It has a role top closure and never gets wet. Dampness isn't bad for them. It's the prolonged exposure to salt water that really hurts the rubber. Washing it in mild soap after sailing will do wonders for keeping the rubber soft. In a pinch i have double bagged it in ziplock bags. The regular kind not the gripper zipper type. Even though the gps isn't water proof, its water resistant. So you can use it in the rain or water ever. Just can't dunk it. Good luck!!

Reid Rechel

Re: GPS advice [Re: Wrinkledpants] #32264
04/13/04 07:34 PM
04/13/04 07:34 PM
Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Frozen Offline
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline
enthusiast

Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
I noticed that even Walmart has small dry bags.

I suspect that something that might be useful is a trick my father in law uses for his tv remote in the kitchen. He wraps Saran Wrap around it. This when combined with something else might help.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 686 guests, and 115 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022