04/18/04 05:21 PM
Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Frozen Offline OP
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline OP
enthusiast

Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Hi,

I was heading into the beach one day (Hobie 14) going at a fair clip. To my right was a large rock wall and the wind was coming off the wall.

I was planning on dumping the sail (letting out the rope whatever that is called) when I got closer, to slow down. As I got closer, the wind veered to become an increasingly quartering starboard tailwind and finally a tailwind as I hit the beach.

I could have turned to port but it all happened so fast and so unexpectedly, that by the time the windshift occurred I was too close in to safely turn. Normally the wind dies where I beach owing to trees, etc..

Anyways I came aboard the beach with such speed that I almost went up in the woods on the beach. I was sure I was going to.

My question is;

Is there a way to slow the boat when sheeting out doesn't help?

In retrospect I realize that part of the reason that I did not bear off in time, was that it was very windy and I pictured having a devil of a time tacking back to the beach.

In a windsurfer of course, I was used to just letting go of the sail. No stays to stop the sail.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Slowing Down [Re: Frozen] #32495
04/19/04 02:32 AM
04/19/04 02:32 AM
Hong Kong
schobiedoo Offline
journeyman
schobiedoo  Offline
journeyman

Hong Kong
The boat speed is obviously affected by the angle to the wind and the angle of the sails. In answer to the question, if sheeting out isn't helping you, then you have to change the angle of the boat, i.e. head into the wind. Now in your case you said that you couldn't change course as it wasn't safe which only leaves the sail angle.

As I understand the theory, you should sheet out the mainsail to reduce speed when there is a flow of air going over the sail. This is fine if you're sailing from a close reach to a broad reach but when the wind is behind you and is pushing the sails (not flowing over them), then the further you sheet out, the more area of sail you are exposing and the closer to the actual windspeed you will go. Since you say that the windshift came right behind the boat, then I guess if you had sheeted in and with the traveller, you should have slowed down. Sounds great in theory doesn't it!!

I guess in hindsight, the best thing that you could have done was to turn into the wind early and since the wind was onshore it would have drifted you backwards towards the beach at a nice slow rate. Again, sounds great in theory

Certainly I've done the same thing and flown up the beach on many occasions and had to pay the price recently by having to fibreglass the bottom of the hulls.

Re: Slowing Down [Re: schobiedoo] #32496
04/19/04 10:48 AM
04/19/04 10:48 AM
beaufort, sc
dannyb9 Offline
enthusiast
dannyb9  Offline
enthusiast

beaufort, sc
i use the rudders to slow down by shoving them hard over, then back and hard over on the other side, as often as necessary until i'm on the beach. with the sheets eased of course.

marsh hawk
Re: Slowing Down [Re: dannyb9] #32497
06/26/04 12:36 PM
06/26/04 12:36 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Chthomko Offline
stranger
Chthomko  Offline
stranger

Hamburg, Germany
Any idea about sheeting the main in block to block and having traveller all in the middle? I frequently have the same problem with a 17 entering my very narrow and small home yawl harbor in Hamburg when wind comes from behind.

Thomas Koch
Re: Slowing Down [Re: Chthomko] #32498
06/26/04 03:30 PM
06/26/04 03:30 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If the Surf is small or non existant....Take the Mainsail down early and sail in under Mast only (as it is down wind)

If there is big surf, then just go for it and fix any hull damage at a later date....

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Slowing Down [Re: scooby_simon] #32499
06/27/04 11:48 AM
06/27/04 11:48 AM
Hamburg, Germany
Chthomko Offline
stranger
Chthomko  Offline
stranger

Hamburg, Germany
Any practicable recommendation on how to take the main down while not ashore? Remember the 17 has the system with the hook at the mast top that requires turning the mast extremely to the starbord side while raising the main halyard to get the ring free of the hook.

I'd like to see you doing that out on the water while you're alone on the boat going downwind with a gusty 4 to 5 Bft. (17 to 22 mph).

Regards

Thomas

Thomas Koch
Re: Slowing Down [Re: Chthomko] #32500
06/27/04 02:17 PM
06/27/04 02:17 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any practicable recommendation on how to take the main down while not ashore? Remember the 17 has the system with the hook at the mast top that requires turning the mast extremely to the starbord side while raising the main halyard to get the ring free of the hook.

I'd like to see you doing that out on the water while you're alone on the boat going downwind with a gusty 4 to 5 Bft. (17 to 22 mph).

Regards

Thomas

I would not attempt it going down wind ! [Linked Image] You will not be able to.

Get head(ish) to wind and hold boat on the heading using one hand on the tiller ext. Pull Main halyard up as you say with the other hand and then use one foot to push the mast to stbd and bingo.....sail should then drop down and you then need to tidy up the sail under the toe straps. You will also then need to (probably) reverse backwards to get out of head to wind and then use the mast windage to drive you along...

Attached Files
34771-slap.gif (221 downloads)
Last edited by scooby_simon; 06/27/04 05:05 PM.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022