05/10/04 09:15 PM
05/10/04 09:15 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Why is there no mention of the H-16 worlds on the welcome page (catsailor.com)? This has been the most phenominal event in North America in recent memory.

You are all too willing to promote the negative ("New Hobie edict . . . ") but where is the positive news Rick / Mary? (don't give me the BS that it's a thead in the the open forum). If you really gave fair coverage, you's have this on the main page.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: H 16 Worlds on Welcome Page? [Re: mbounds] #33175
05/11/04 07:49 AM
05/11/04 07:49 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That’s a good question, Matt. Actually, I think it was an oversight on our part. Maybe we thought of it as being there, because that banner for the Worlds has been at the top of our welcome page for months.

As far as me personally, I don’t have any idea how to put stuff on the welcome page. I just post stuff here on the Forum like everybody else. I started that thread for the Worlds because that was the only way I knew to give people a place to post stories. It seems to be working well.

Rick is gone covering the Tybee 500/Atlantic 1000.

He has been very busy with work this spring, and, until two days ago, nothing new has been put on our welcome page since the Tradewinds Regatta in mid-January, and that includes events we have been to and races that Rick has taken pictures of.

But we definitely should have had a note on the welcome page with a link to the event website, www.hobieworlds.com, and also a link to the thread on our forum.

It is kind of ironic that you would be asking me why we are not publicizing this event. As you know, I publish a magazine called “Catamaran Sailor.” For several years now I have rarely been able to obtain information about major Hobie events – like regionals or continentals. So, I have sort of resigned myself to not being able to publicize them (unless somebody pops up and sends me stuff independent of the Class Assn). I assume maybe it is because the NAHCA News wants to have the information first, which is fine, and I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes.

In this case I have been thrilled to see the stories from Liza Cleveland and Robert Merrick. Since Rick and I were both going to be gone (I was supposed to be in Ohio by now), having people post their own stories to the thread on the forum was really the only practical way to make information available to the public.

P.S.
Matt, if the report on the welcome page about the Hobie “edict” is negative, it is not Rick’s fault –– he just printed the press releases that we received from the Hobie Class Association and Hobie Cat Company. Whether they are negative or positive is in the perception of the reader. Apparently, you think they are negative. I myself don’t know yet whether it is a negative or positive step for Hobie Cat. I guess we’ll all find out eventually.

Re: H 16 Worlds on Welcome Page? [Re: Mary] #33176
05/11/04 08:03 AM
05/11/04 08:03 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, all is not lost. I told Rick, and he is putting it on the welcome page. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Now what do you say Matt? [Re: mbounds] #33177
05/11/04 08:11 AM
05/11/04 08:11 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Come on it's not that tough. I'm ...

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: H 16 Worlds on Welcome Page? [Re: Mary] #33178
05/11/04 08:20 AM
05/11/04 08:20 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Gracias, Amiga

Much better.

Weather is looking better today after thunderstorms yesterday. Wind was only about 10, waves are 4 - 6 feet. Reminds me of the chop on Lake Erie

Re: H 16 Worlds on Welcome Page? [Re: mbounds] #33179
05/11/04 09:53 AM
05/11/04 09:53 AM
Hampton, Virginia
Tracie Offline
enthusiast
Tracie  Offline
enthusiast

Hampton, Virginia
Actually, I kinda think the 16 world's get more attention by being here on the user forums then the front page.
I know Rick is always saying "Check the main page" for news, and I imagine he says this because not ENOUGH people do this. I must admit, I don't do it that often either.
I have the forum bookmarked, not the main page.

Tracie

PS. I think you (Mary) and Rick do a great service to the cat sailing community.

Re: H 16 Worlds on Welcome Page? [Re: Tracie] #33180
05/11/04 10:45 AM
05/11/04 10:45 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Actually, I kinda think the 16 world's get more attention by being here on the user forums then the front page.

That is kinda my thinking, too. And I think it is easier to read the reports in this consecutive, chronological format.
But Matt was right that it should have been listed and linked on the welcome page from the beginning.

One of these days I want to get our website software installed on my computer and learn how to use it so I can make our welcome page more active and current. Rick just hasn't had time.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 655 guests, and 139 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022